XCf-W 250 suspension VS WR-250f Suspension

I still think KTMs suspension is a little behind, but not enough to chose the other bike, KTMs are just too easy to maintain and resale valve will make up the price difference. I say buy the KTM, but of course I say that because that is what I did...

How much do you weigh? I am looking at the 250 xcfw because all I do is trail ride but went to the dealer and he told me that if I were to ever go on a track that the 250 XCF would be a better choice because it has a litte stiffer suspension. He also told me that the only difference between the xcf and the xcfw was the suspension and the xcfw's 6th gear was more of an over drive. So they way I understand it if you like to ride MX every once and a while and don't need to screaming down a jeep trail or fire road then the XCF would be a great way to go.

The SXF will have the stiffer suspension and fit best on the track. The KTM 250XCF will have the next stiffer suspension then the KTM 250XCF-W will be next.

I bought the KTM 250XCF-W for its versatility (low 1st gear and taller 6th) for my western riding area.

The Motor on the KTM is stronger in a stock condition. You can make the yamaha run great also with some work. If you are trying to save money the WR250 is a good bike, but not the best for the track. Later you can add a big bore kit (Athena 290) and it really adds some torque and you don't loose much high rpm either.

I think the Yamaha is more stable but not as quick in the tight woods. both should be very dependable

I suggest you pick the bike that will compliment where you ride most often.

Good Luck.

I think the 250 xcf is the most versatile of the 3 if you're going to ride a bit of everything. Plus you get the e-start to boot.

Ditto that!! The button is a prereq. for fourstroke ownership IMO. I bought the XCF as I wanted a bit of a hybrid. A little of the moto and a little of the off-road. I am mainly an off-road (desert) rider, but have yet to ride the new XCF off- road. Time has only allowed two quick trips to the track. The bike is stellar. Soaks up everything and handles like a dream without so much as adjusting one clicker. I set the sag of course, but the rest was on the money right out of the crate. The stock gearing of 13/48 is a bit tall for the track, 13/49 or 13/50 will probably work better to get over obstacles with a short run. My guess is that 14/48, and few clicks softer on the suspenders will be just right for the desert. A few minor adjustments and you have the best of both worlds.

During both of my trips to the track I have ridden an 07 YZF 250 and an 06 CRF 250. Both of these bikes have better low end throttle response than the XCF, but both are a little harder to manage. Both have smoother trannys (less notchy), But.... Neither handles as well, niether has a button, neither has adjustable offset billet triple clamps, neither has 6 gears, niether has black excels, neither has a hydraulic clutch, bla,bla bla. The list goes on. The overall performance, and fit and finish of the XCF makes it the best complete package. (and I am a picky S.O.B.) Buy the XCF!!

• 2 weeks later...

Go orange. The KTM is a much better bike. It is like comparing a Lexus to a Camry. I thought my Honda CRF250 was sweet. This XCF is bad ass. You can hit the jumps, ride the chop, roots, ruts, and anything you can throw at it and it doesn't miss a beat. It won't bottom out and I am 206 pounds witout my gear.

I'm stuck between the 250XCF and XCF-W because i can't resolve differences in the specs listed in the KTM brochure, the KTM website and Malcolm Smith's website -- plus what the salesman told me on the phone. The specs for wheelbase, front and rear travel, seat height and so forth all agree in the brochure and both websites, but the dry weight is either 216 or 236 pounds, and the fuel tank is either 1.85 or 2.25 gallons, depending on whether you're looking at the brochure, one of the websites or talking to a salesman who supposedly looked it up on his computer. He also told me there was no such thing as a 250 XCF.

Well, the brochure says there is, and as near as i can tell, it's the close ratio model. Anyway, 20 pounds difference in dry weight, and almost 1/2 gallon in fuel are NOT small differences as far as i'm concerned, so i'd appreciate having somebody straighten me out. Has anybody actually weighed their 250XCF or XCF-W? Measured the fuel capacity? Thanks...

Going from green to orange... maybe :mad:)

I'm stuck between the 250XCF and XCF-W because i can't resolve differences in the specs listed in the KTM brochure, the KTM website and Malcolm Smith's website -- plus what the salesman told me on the phone. The specs for wheelbase, front and rear travel, seat height and so forth all agree in the brochure and both websites, but the dry weight is either 216 or 236 pounds, and the fuel tank is either 1.85 or 2.25 gallons, depending on whether you're looking at the brochure, one of the websites or talking to a salesman who supposedly looked it up on his computer. He also told me there was no such thing as a 250 XCF.

Well, the brochure says there is, and as near as i can tell, it's the close ratio model. Anyway, 20 pounds difference in dry weight, and almost 1/2 gallon in fuel are NOT small differences as far as i'm concerned, so i'd appreciate having somebody straighten me out. Has anybody actually weighed their 250XCF or XCF-W? Measured the fuel capacity? Thanks...

Going from green to orange... maybe :mad:)

If you are talking about both "E" starts then they weight the same, "W" suspension is softer, "Ws" transmission is a lot nicer than most people give it credit for being. Do a search or try KTMtalk... My bike is so nice I could talk about it all day...

Its not always about how much the bike weighs but how it is balanced, the ktm will feel lighter.

I'm talking about discrepancies between one source and another for the weight and fuel capacity of the same KTM motorcycle. Does the 250 XCF-W weight 216 pounds or 236 pounds? Is the fuel capacity 1.85 gallons or 2.25 gallons? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
KTM weighs a real bike on a real scale that is full of all fluids except gasoline...the Asian companies seem to create a theoretical weight...
No, the weigh them on the moon.

The KTM suspension will be a little better on the dunes because it is stiffer. The WRF suspension will be MUCH better on the trails, stock, with no revalve and fiddling just some springs for your weight.

No, the weigh them on the moon.

The KTM suspension will be a little better on the dunes because it is stiffer. The WRF suspension will be MUCH better on the trails, stock, with no revalve and fiddling just some springs for your weight.

You apparantly haven't ridden an 07 XCF-W. Probably the best woods suspension I have ever ridden!!! And the weight is right on the money. KTM does weigh their bikes ready to ride without gas and this has been verified by owners weighing them. Real world comparisons have shown the KTM xcf models to be 15 lbs lighter than the Japanese competition.