how to start kids racing???

Does he want to race or do you want him too?????? Do you want to race yourself or will you race through him?

Go to tracks, check them out and find one that looks comfortable to you and him. Ask all your questions at the tower with the people that run that track. Go to practice days, ride the track and see if it's something he & you really want. When you feel it time and you both have had some track time BOTH OF YOU SIGN UP AND RACE!

Do not be a mini parent living through their kid, become a parent/child race team and have fun and enjoy it together. :devil:

Does he want to race or do you want him too?????? Do you want to race yourself or will you race through him?

Go to tracks, check them out and find one that looks comfortable to you and him. Ask all your questions at the tower with the people that run that track. Go to practice days, ride the track and see if it's something he & you really want. When you feel it time and you both have had some track time BOTH OF YOU SIGN UP AND RACE!

Do not be a mini parent living through their kid, become a parent/child race team and have fun and enjoy it together. :devil:

WELL SAID

1 OF MY LOCAL TRACKS HAS A "CLUB SPECIAL CLASS" FOR KIDS ON 4 STROKES, My son races that class on his KLX 110 as well as the 60cc class

Thanks, he wants to race, me I just like to ride where ever and when ever. The boy is all about competition every time we are out at gorman he rides the little under 100cc track. When others are on the track he has to win all the time . When the others leave the track HE has me time him, how fast he does his lap. and then he must beat that time before he gets off the track. His idea and he is only 7.

I think that he will have to learn how to use a clutch because he rides a ttr 90 automatic but I want him to be totally comfortable with his ride. He is jumping some he gets about 4-5 feet of air. And he always asks if it is OK that he does something new when he sees me or someone else do something . he is always asking questions about how this or that is done. Ya he wants to race and I want to be there for him but I am not going to live my life through him nor is he going to live through me

The fam rides to live and because they and me all love it.

see you in the dirt..

06 wr250 dads

06 ttr125 moms

06 ttr125 girls

06ttr90 boys

06 ttr 50 boys started at xmas and moved up to 90 3 months later...ya he wants to race... :devil:?

Well my son is 8 y/o & he started racing at the end of last year when he was 7 y/o. While I agree that you don't want to become one of the insane moto dads I will admit that anyone that has a child racing has gone through some difficult moments. I did not want my son to race. He begged my for a while & I kept saying no. I enjoyed our time riding in the desert & because I had never even been to a track I was intimidated. Let alone all the money I thought it would cost. In the end I gave in & my son started racing. I do not have any intention of living through him -especially since I have no desire to race myself. With that being said - we are there to race. He has to work hard & improve. We pay for a coach & overall it costs me well over $1,000 per month. Furthermore, the rest of the family hardly ever gets to ride since we spend most of the time at the track with him. Please don't take this as complaining - we all love watching him. It does, however, lead to moments of frustration when he regresses. I am not trying to defend the insane motodads but I think that most people that make those comments have never actually seen the amount of effort that most families put into their kids racing.

Thanks guys thats is some input. I now it takes hard work to do anything well. My son is naturally gifted in many areas of the sports he plays including riding. What impresses me the most is that on his own he listens to his coaches. I have told him from his first soccer kick to his last strike out and every fall in between . That of the field he listen to me on the field he listens to his coaches no matter what. ? He is very competitive and when others walk he runs when others complain about being hurt he groans and then kicks @$$. all mostly on his own His mom and I just want him to be well rounded .Good grades sports that he wants to play and to do the best that he can in all that HE does.Riding is in our blood just as we all surf too. Racing is it seems the next indicated step in his life not mine not that he will be the next RC or anything . AS long as he is having fun and doing his best that is what it is all about. Now how about a list of tracks around so cal thanks. :devil:

06wr 250 Dads

06 ttr125 Moms

06ttr125 Girls

06ttr90 Boys

ttr50

76 shovel head

95 dyna wide glide

My son(8yrs old) has now done a couple of races and i have to agree with toyman on some of his statements. We are an offroad family (desert, dunes, tracks) my wife, myself and my son all ride. Its very hard to do all the practicing but what a joy to watch the development, he's 10 times the rider I will ever be. But be warned this is a tough sport, there will be crashes bumps bruises and things that make you want to hide that motorcycle so he never sees it again. One crash can send them backwards to what seems like the beginning, but as a supportive parent you have to have the ability to not push and let them get comfortable on the bike and the track again. Keep your mouth and your comments to yourself and just be there for them. Kids are amazing and 90% in the begining they will learn on the track watching and riding with their friends.