are xr250r's good enduros??

the xr250r is in the same category the kawi klr suzuki dr... "dual sport bike", but it is air cooled instead of liquid cooled like the others in the same category. i want to have a street-legal dirt bike that wont overheat. are these prone to overheating in traffic? is the description "DUAL sport" misleading?

oops... i think i might have misused the terms. im trying to make an xr250 into a street legal dirtbike to ride anywhere with. im concerned with it overheating in traffic since its air cooled. got any ideas about that?? thanks...

The XR won't shouldn't overheat. Just get a distick thermometer and watch the temp. The XR650L is air cooled and probably get hotter. I know the heat from the exhaust a lot worse on a 650 than a 250. You could always adapt a oil cooler from a XR400 if you want to make sure it never gets hot.

My road vehicle is a 96 XR250R. On weekends, I go off into the wilderness on it, no changes. No, it doesn't overheat in traffic.

You might find it interesting that Chile's motorcycle police use XR250Rs. Always in pairs, the characteristic thump thump thump means different things, depending on which side of the law you are.

d.

01 XR250R with street plate in Cali. I use it for commuting but I don't like it on the highway for anything more than a couple of miles because it's just too damn lite for all the air draft from cars/trucks doing 80MPH right next to you when you're doing 65MPH! It never even comes close to overheating ever. It's an awesome DS bike for connecting trails and local-type commutes. I've even done HS's on it, nice to blow the horn at people when you're passing them - they love that!