Im switching from street to dirt

I have had many street bike and loved them all. Cruisers, sportbikes and some fourwheelers. I bought my son a yamaha ttr125 to learn how to ride and guess what happen. It was killing me watching him so I found what I thought was a good deal on a 2000 YZ426. $1700. It has some extras and runs strong. It starts first kick hot or cold which is nice from what I read. Im not sure of the history I bought it from a guy who wanted to play with his friends but got scared of it. He bought it from the original owner. There is a new head on it and I had to replace the back pads. I need to get a manual is the clymers what everyone recommends? I really like the bike and thanks to all for a great resource.

Forget the Clymers and buy a factory manual. Most of the info you need to maintain the 426 will be available here on TT for free and with pictures of the process. Welcome to TT and enjoy, BTW I too run the 426 (2000 model) . Mine has been great.

2001 YZ426 Manual

Two differences I know of:

The 2000 model uses a single square key to anchor the balancer drive gear to the crankshaft, whereas later models use splines.

The 2000 had stainless valves, not titanium, and the correct clearance for the exhaust is .25-.30mm.

You can get a 2000 manual Here, but it may or may not be printable.

thanks guys! i have used forums alot with my Busa and Banshee. Alot of info there to save us all time. What did we all do without the internet? I remember looking at the library for newspapers for used bikes that I could drive too. How funny now everything is online.

i just got my 02' 426 about 2 months ago...thing is a power house, although not nearly as nimble as my YZ250 (until i get used to throwing the weight around) no complaints either, aslways starts first kick (hot or cold) and suprisingly easy to start even after falling over (gotta love that decomp. lever) there is no hill it wont go up (so far). the bike needs nothing more than a slightly larger rear sprocket (trail riding) and a little armor (skid plates, frame gaurds and some hand guards) hope u enjoy urs as much as i enjoy mine!

thanks everyone for your replies. I rode it alot this weekend in some trails and fields. It started easily and rode strong. I tried a few small jumps with a two foot ramp. Im trying to start slowly :devil: dont laugh. I had a blast and can't wait till next weekend

Congrats on the new bike! Watching my son ride is what got me back into it 5 years ago. Now, we have a blast and hit the mx tracks 2 or 3 times a month.

By the way, before you ask... yes, it is normal for your head pipe to glow red if you let it idle for extended periods. :devil:

Dude, you are one lucky hombre. I have a 00 426 as well and I love the beast. I've raced just a little at the local track and it ripps. The St. Anthony dunes are perfect for this bike as well as the endless trails we have here. You should be ready for tons of fun on that thing.

thanks everyone for your replies. I rode it alot this weekend in some trails and fields. It started easily and rode strong. I tried a few small jumps with a two foot ramp. Im trying to start slowly ? dont laugh. I had a blast and can't wait till next weekend
Dont rush anything, lots of fast people stay low. There are plenty of ways to gain speed without that risk. The penalty for a mistake can be big especially if you have family who depends on you. Just enjoy and take your time. Stay away from young fast kids with flexible bones, they will encourage you to do things you might regret. :devil:

Dont rush anything, lots of fast people stay low. There are plenty of ways to gain speed without that risk. The penalty for a mistake can be big ....
Especially with modern track so often designed as they are, with big, deep doubles, so that you have to get the speed almost exactly right to hit the landings. Many of them are cut so that it is almost impossible to "single" them because of the construction of the lip. One mistake, a little lost speed, and you case the second jump. Over jump, and you land at the bottom of the third one. You can say want you like, but that ain't real MX, IMO. A well made track should be challenging to everyone, without any unreasonable penalties to your health for being cautious. :devil: