Sign in to follow this  

Free Mods For CRF250 Owners

This thread is for any of the free (or really cheap) mods that can be done to the crf250 for better performance, reliability, etc. here is what i have come up with so far. if you can think of any others, feel free to post them. :devil:

Set intake clearance to .004 and exhaust at .006

Do the AP Mod (crf450 forum for directions)

Remove the backfire screen

Lengthen the metal arm on the case for easier clutch pull

remove float bowl baffle from carb

NOT! 👎 unless you want to run out of gas on the back wheel :devil:

oh yeh the AP mod as mentioned b4 it even makes a bigger diff. on the 250 than the 450

How do you lenghthen the metal arm on the case?

you can cut it then add a piece of aluminum inbetween the 2 pieces to make it longer then weld it back together

This thread is for any of the free (or really cheap) mods that can be done to the crf250 for better performance, reliability, etc. here is what i have come up with so far. if you can think of any others, feel free to post them. :devil:

Set intake clearance to .004 and exhaust at .006

Do the AP Mod (crf450 forum for directions)

Remove the backfire screen

Lengthen the metal arm on the case for easier clutch pull

two questions. 1) removing the backfire screen doesnt hurt the bike or wont cause a ...... fire?! what are the benefits? noticeable? and 2) what are the stock valve clearences? why is .004. and .006 better?

the risk of a backfire burning the air filter is so low. it will not hurt the bike. it will help it. the screen restricts air flow. if you are worried about taking it off you can always buy a twin air fire proof filter.....it has no screen and its fire proof

two questions. 1) removing the backfire screen doesnt hurt the bike or wont cause a ...... fire?! what are the benefits? noticeable? and 2) what are the stock valve clearences? why is .004. and .006 better?

it could cause a fire but you would have better luck getting struck by lightning.

those clearances are better because they have a longer duration and show a .5 hp gain on the dyno. (says emoney)

:devil:

not exactly free, but a cheap mod

$12 jetting:

take sub frame, pipe, seat, tank, and top shock bolt off, remove carborator, and tanke bottm bowl off

go to the honda shop and get a 175 main, and a 48 piolet

extra power, without spending $60 on a jet kit

Hey Dan whats that for the 2006 crf250 ?

i have that setup in my 05

not exactly free, but a cheap mod

$12 jetting:

take sub frame, pipe, seat, tank, and top shock bolt off, remove carborator, and tanke bottm bowl off

go to the honda shop and get a 175 main, and a 48 piolet

extra power, without spending $60 on a jet kit

Or you could just twist the carbs bottom out towards you a little and change the jets w/o taking the whole bike apart.

:devil:👎

Also, the special thing about the JD jet kit is the needle. So assuming the JD kit is as good as people say, then just rejetting isn't going to be as good. Count in the fact that your settings aren't going to work in everyone elses conditions. That makes the jets you gave irrelevant to a lot of other riders. Lastly, I never thought of rejetting a bike as a mod. I guess if we think along those lines, setting sag and ajusting susp. clickers can be a mod too, huh?

Or you could just twist the carbs bottom out towards you a little and change the jets w/o taking the whole bike apart.

:devil:👎

thats true, i do that too, but when i did mine i cleaned my carb and replaced my throttle cables so that why i said it that way.

Taking the backfire screen out dosnt do anything. The oil on your filter restricts airflow alot more then that screen.

Taking the backfire screen out dosnt do anything. The oil on your filter restricts airflow alot more then that screen.

Don't say that.........I just took it out.:devil:

Not being a smart a$$ but do you have proof? Have you seen any dyno info on this??