Selling the 426...but replace with what?

I'm thinking about selling my 02 426 (with tons of race-mods on it) in order to get a more woods/trail friendly bike. Thew ay my 426 is setup, its made to go fast and get a lot of air. It's amazing on an MX track, but just a little too heavy, and fast on a goat trail. I have tried diff gearing, and decided I want to find another bike more geared to the type of riding I do. I am thinking about a KTM 400 EXC-G. has anyone ever ridden one, or know of anyone who is selling one? I don't need a 450, but I think a 250 is just a little bit small for how I ride. I've been looking around, and I hear the WR just pales in comparison to a YZ for power, so if anyone has any experiance with a 400, please let me know! I want to go fast through tight trails, and still be able to steer the bike! (unlike my 426)

Thanks!

Jeep

I want to go fast through tight trails, and still be able to steer the bike! (unlike my 426)
An '06/'07 YZ450 exactly fits that particular requirement, although it is not a purpose-built trail bike. It is some 15 pounds lighter that yours, and feels 20 pounds lighter than it it actually is, but it is still an MX bike, and that may be something that you want, maybe not. The power delivery is very smooth and linear, too.

An '06/'07 YZ450 exactly fits that particular requirement, although it is not a purpose-built trail bike. It is some 15 pounds lighter that yours, and feels 20 pounds lighter than it it actually is, but it is still an MX bike, and that may be something that you want, maybe not. The power delivery is very smooth and linear, too.

My bike is 250lbs. wet by the owner's manual and I thought 06's were 220

I have a 426 and I've rode a 400 EXC. The EXC was good, but my 426 is great. I just didn't care for the way the EXC handled in the high speed stuff. It felt too nervous for me.

Last year I had the chance to ride a friend's almost new '05 400EXC.

Engine - he had it geared down for southeastern woods and it was fantastic. I could leave it in 3rd in the corners and rev it out down the straights. Very little shifting required.

Suspension - very odd. The forks didn't handle sharp-edged stuff well and the rear was just odd; hard to describe. :devil:

Handling - it would turn into corners very quickly and then try to stand up. Not neutral at all and nervous, twitchy and unstable when I started getting up to speed in 3rd.

Bear in mind that I didn't change springs or turn clickers, but this bike was way off the mark for me. I'm 165 lbs and while not the fastest rider on the planet, I have been riding for 30 years, own 12 bikes at this time (and one of them is an '04 525SX) and do a fair amount of testing.

My conclusion - it's not for me. It would take too much work to get it to where I felt comfortable.

An aside - I was on my '04 CRF250X that day and he rode it when we traded. When he got off it he asked, "Who did your suspension? It's like works stuff compared to my 400."

I told him "Honda". It was stock. ?

I would have to agree with you Spode. I have raced a '97 XR 600, '01 426, '99 KDX 200, '04 450 EXC, and trail rode an '03-04 400 EXC. Although the KTM's are very nice trail bikes, they feel way too twitchy at speed. They are down right spooky!! Even with a stabilizer, there isn't much confidence that the bike will settle and stay smooth. Granted, the big XR was like riding a couch, but I have been racing the 426 for quite some time now, and I just don't know if I will ever get rid of it!! Gear it down for tight trails, and it will pull like a John Deere! Gear it back up for some high speed "dust'n your buddies" fun! Then leave it geared to the moon and put in a Rekluse, GAME OVER!! :devil: