Sign in to follow this  

A question about the nut that is molded in to the gas tank?

I tore my bike down today to do some extensive cleaning and I wish I never would have touched it. One of the nuts that is molded into the gas tank for the shrouds is spinning. Does anyone know how to take care of this? I am not having any luck. :thumbsdn::devil:

Ive got 2 shroud bolts doing the same thing. Suzuki by now should know that they are having a problem with them. About all you can do is drill the head off and pop the nut-sert out and epoxy it back in after you remove the bolt portion that is in the nut-sert. Use a good two part epoxy and install it with a new bolt to give you something to hold onto.

If you search this forum you will find all the answers. We have all experienced this at someyime.

OH MY GOD !

i have the same problem ! i thought i "don't know the English word for it " but i thought i twisted that screw to hard and made that nut to twist , i have the same problem on both sides and do you think Suzuki will give you a new tank for this? personal i don't think they will. I need to buy a new tank to my -06 that i have been riding for max 12h... Sucky huh?

I received my 2006 RMZ with the left side nuts spinning in the tank. I called my dealer and they eventually got around to passing it on to Suzuki who approved a new tank. They called it a goodwill thing since there is no warranty on the bikes.

On a side note my dealer tried to make me pay for labor to replace the tank. After some heated discussion (on my part) they finally agreed to do it for free. Its the last time I buy from them. Best scenario if you can get a new tank is to take off your stock tank and take it to the dealer and exchange it. I drove 3 hours to the dealer so i didn't have any tools to do it, but I don't think charging labor on a faulty bike they sold was good customer service.

they gave you a new fuel tank for free, and did the labor free on a bike with no warranty? The bastards. If it was indeed a problem during delivery then suzuki should cover it but if it was much later how did they know someone didnt overtighten them at home and do the problem. We havent seen that on a single rmz yet but it sounds like it is somewhat common, with all brands.

What I found was that the alloy spacer grips on the nut in the tank. I ended up pulling the plactic shroud over the alloy spacer then held the alloy spacer with pliers and the bolt undid very easly.

Then I put an epoxy in and around the nut in the tank, next step I polished the face of the spacer where it meets the tank nut with sand paper and have had no problems since.

It not the bolt being frozen in the nut its the alloy spacer griping the nut.

What I found was that the alloy spacer grips on the nut in the tank. I ended up pulling the plactic shroud over the alloy spacer then held the alloy spacer with pliers and the bolt undid very easly.

Then I put an epoxy in and around the nut in the tank, next step I polished the face of the spacer where it meets the tank nut with sand paper and have had no problems since.

It not the bolt being frozen in the nut its the alloy spacer griping the nut.

I think motolink is right.

One of mine had frozen, so I wound up grinding the head of the bolt off.

Once I pulled the step-washer off the headless shank, the rest of the bolt came out with my fingers.

they gave you a new fuel tank for free, and did the labor free on a bike with no warranty? The bastards. If it was indeed a problem during delivery then suzuki should cover it but if it was much later how did they know someone didnt overtighten them at home and do the problem. We havent seen that on a single rmz yet but it sounds like it is somewhat common, with all brands.

Well I suppose when I buy a NEW bike I expect everything to be functioning correctly. I know there is no warranty but it also isn't sold "as-is". If a dealer can't guarantee a new bike as new then it shouldn't be sold as new. I contacted the dealer 20 mins after I got home with the bike not days or weeks later. If you are ok with buying brand new expensive items that are faulty thats your business but I prefer to have a NEW fully functioning machine.

1/4 inch drive makita impact spins the bolts right out even if you have already spun the insert. 3 of mine were spinning with hand wrenches. Impact spun them right out. Have not had a problem again after reinstalling them. (by hand of course)

1/4 inch drive makita impact spins the bolts right out even if you have already spun the insert. 3 of mine were spinning with hand wrenches. Impact spun them right out. Have not had a problem again after reinstalling them. (by hand of course)

Does it have to be a Makita? j/k

Well I suppose when I buy a NEW bike I expect everything to be functioning correctly. I know there is no warranty but it also isn't sold "as-is". If a dealer can't guarantee a new bike as new then it shouldn't be sold as new. I contacted the dealer 20 mins after I got home with the bike not days or weeks later. If you are ok with buying brand new expensive items that are faulty thats your business but I prefer to have a NEW fully functioning machine.

Did you read my post even where i said "If it was indeed a problem during delivery then suzuki should cover it" And for your info these bikes are sold exactly as-is with no warranty whatsoever. Its right in the suzuki, yamaha, kawasaki, and honda dealer manuals with exception to yamaha and a couple of their components. Dont get all high and mighty- they had no obligation to do anything for you and alot of dealers probably wouldnt have. Those are the dealers you should avoid.