tmrider

Pics of your 06-09 yzf 450

278 posts in this topic

no pics yet, but I just brought home our first 07 450. I had to take the blue one as I need an extra bike for the weekend and a white one wont be in until another week or so. Man I am impressed at how skinny it is compared to our 04 250f's, and my old 05 450. I cant wait to get some skid marks on that seat. :devil:

1 person likes this

I cant wait to get some skid marks on that seat. :thumbsdn:
Wait until the first time you try to put into a corner....and it goes! :devil:

well I really hope it goes better than the 05 did. man that thing really pissed me off. I was never able to shake the kid on his 250. And I am supposed to be the man. :devil:

I heard the 06's like to push a lot and supposedly the 07 has tried to deal with that. But I wont be afraid of lowering the radiators to help it corner better. I was somewhat surprised to hear that even the 250's responded to lowering them too.

supposedly it was the 450 lowering by the pros that spurred dr. d into offering them for the 250. I read that somewhere, but cant remember where. Possibly he has kits for both.

I heard the 06's like to push a lot and supposedly the 07 has tried to deal with that.
The '06 is the same idea as the '05 as far as power delivery, but this time they got it right. They were looking for something less thrilling, but more useful than the '03/'04 engine, but they sort overdid it in '05. My '06 runs side by side with my '03 on pavement up to the point where the '06 starts to pull away. But in the lower gears and tighter corners, the new one requires much less mental effort to keep it under control than the earlier ones.

The push was cured in the field simply by using a sag setting of 95-98 instead of 100-105, and by pulling the forks up 5mm to the first scribed line. The difference is amazing. Yamaha added 5mm to the rear shock on the '07, and pulled the head angle in just a bit in response to that. Guess they decided that sometimes the customer (post-production engineering staff?) really is right.

The fact is that the new bike handles so well that even you won't care how it runs. But you will want a different exhaust.

The fact is that the new bike handles so well that even you won't care how it runs. But you will want a different exhaust.

What seems to be working the best on these bikes?

What seems to be working the best on these bikes?
I don't know what works best, but we're pretty happy with the Dr. D stainless system on ours. Much better bottom, better mid, no loss on top.

Do they make the lowering kit for the 450 too?I thought they only made them for the 250f.

dubach has a lowering kit for both the 06-07 450's on his website. You need to buy his header to use the kit though.

gray, does the Dr. D header seem to be more vulnerable than the stocker because of the factory forward design? I am considering the Dr. D, but I'm worried that rocks/tree limbs might claim the header in short order, unless there is a guard like the E-line that will fit it.

gray, does the Dr. D header seem to be more vulnerable than the stocker because of the factory forward design? I am considering the Dr. D, but I'm worried that rocks/tree limbs might claim the header in short order, unless there is a guard like the E-line that will fit it.

drd2.jpg

^^^^

why would you do that to such a beautiful bike???

Yeah, I just can't imagine why someone would take a stock bike and modify it to fit their needs... there should be a law against stuff like that. :devil:

Rooster, is that the Clarke or IMS tank?