forks will not compress after tire change

My son recently put a new front tire on his '01 YZ250F. He removed the front wheel assembly and took it to the local dealer to have them install a new tire and tube. He replaced the wheel assembly, and now the forks are super stiff and will hardly compress at all. I'm trying to help him learn to fix his bike himself, so I took kind of a hands off approach, letting him do the work without Dad. So I have no idea what he did to it, but there's definitely something wrong. Anyone have this happen to them? Anyone have any idea what he did wrong? Help! Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the forks are in a bind at the tire mounting point. Follow the manual for proper install. Basically, if the forks are not in alignment and in the same plane, it will bind them up not allowing them to travel as they should.

Check the manual, but here it is in a nutshell....

Install the axle, tighten it up snug.

Then tighten the axle pinch bolts (the ones on the lower fork tube) on the brake side only.

Bounce up and down on the suspension to get the fork legs going in the same "plane" so to speak.

After you are satisfied the forks work as they should, tighten up the other side pinch bolts. Then make sure everything is tightened to proper torque (axle and pinch bolts).

Now the front suspension should not bind.

I believe the proper method is to install and tighten the axle nut. Tightening one pinch bolt if needed. loosen pinch bolts and spin the tire then use the brake to stop the rotation, do this a couple of times both directions then tighten the pinch bolts.

You should have zero binding after this.

Eric

When I got home last night, I showed my son the posts you guys made and your suggestions on how to fix his problem. He loosened the pinch bolts and discovered he had caused the lower end of the forks to bind by forcing the forks too close together. He tightened the axle, cycled the forks up and down a few times, and then tightened the pinch bolts. Problem solved! Thanks a bunch, everyone. He (and I) learned a valuable lesson.

Hey the father/son approach is awesome. My dad still tries to get me off my bike if it were not for my step dad I would not have the 12 (vintage and modern) that we do. I will back my 5 month old when he is old enough to have fun and be safe. To all you dads out there making it happen... keep up the good work.