Sign in to follow this  

technique (again)

I am 62 and recent bikes include FZ1, Monster and ST4. I now want something slower but fun for weekend rides, 100 or so miles, twisties. I have found that each of these bikes require faster and faster speeds to keep the same fun level. I do not care for nor do I ride in the city except to leave town for the country. I have my eye on the DRZ 400SM. Looks like great fun and about the right power for my new "slow-down" style. However, I have read some previous threads and I am concerned about riding technique. I ride sports-type bikes and was wondering whether this bike can be ridden with the same technique or will I be forced to try and teach this old dog a new trick? All suggestions appreciated.

You will have no problem using your current style on the DRZ 400 SM. I use road and motocross style both on mine when conditions detirmine the need.. Generally road technique most everywhere but when the road is rougher and might have a thin layer of pebbles in the corners then motocoss style is my preference.(not necessarily putting my leg out, but leaning the bike and keeping my body more upright weighting the outside peg maximally to aid in stability in the event of lost traction. This bike works much better if you keep your weight forward on the seat. And if you find you would like a little more performance, then get the James Dean jet kit, it really improves the power everywhere and in the case of raod riding especially at higher speeds which is very useful when passing. With the Jd kit installed the bike is damn near perfect for the rural, twisty roads where I primarily ride!

As long as you ride on the street you can use whatever technique that keept you on the wheels before.

As for how to take corners its the same way on supermoto, roadracing, motocross or any other dicepline. If you do it correctly everything happends in the same way.

You said you wanted to go with a slower method: Get a Harley and try turning that :devil:

In all seriousness though I go a lot faster in the corners on my 300cc supermoto bike than my 600cc CBR. But it feels WAY EASIER to go faster on my 300 because it's so light. You can afford to make mistakes because braking mid turn won't make you lowside (most of time).

While corner speed is higher I feel more secure because I can muscle the bike around.

You said you wanted to go with a slower method: Get a Harley and try turning that :devil:

In all seriousness though I go a lot faster in the corners on my 300cc supermoto bike than my 600cc CBR. But it feels WAY EASIER to go faster on my 300 because it's so light. You can afford to make mistakes because braking mid turn won't make you lowside (most of time).

While corner speed is higher I feel more secure because I can muscle the bike around.

I was pretty wuick in the twisties on my ZRX and my old busa.....when I got my first supermoto, a XR650L......it was like night and day, all the sudden I could keep up with some riding pals who always used to smoke me on some real twisty roads

When my hip flexors give out at the track, (or if I'm showing someone around that's riding a sport bike), I'll ride full-on road race, draggin knees and toes hanging off to the inside. Bike does it just fine. Feels more fun/faster to sit in the middle of the seat and rail, a la euro SM guys.