Sign in to follow this  

my dashboard died

I was riding my bike home from this girls house last night... and all of a sudden my digital dashboard just went blank. The back light is still on but no numbers on it to tell my how fast I am going... nuetral light and stuff still works..

Looks like I might have to get some after market one...

Sorry about that, can't help with diagnosing this unit but someone is seeling what appears to be a nice one on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-DRZ-400-INSTRUMENT-CLUSTER-GAUGE-DRZ400-KLX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35594QQihZ003QQitemZ130029594033QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

I would have it checked anyways befrore replacing it...

I was riding my bike home from this girls house last night... and all of a sudden my digital dashboard just went blank. The back light is still on but no numbers on it to tell my how fast I am going... nuetral light and stuff still works..

Sounds like that girl is bad luck.... :devil:

is your signal/side relay still in it's place?

mancp1.jpg

mine fell off after changing the headlight, had same problem.

Bumtarder is right...

Broken solder joints are common in several different spots, inside the S model speedo. Mine went in the place you see indicated in the photo below. I think Neil's went in a different place.

brokenspeedo.jpg

Take it apart and inspect it with a magnifying glass. You'll probably find something obvious, like I did.

:devil:

yeah, I do have an electronics degree.. but man I haven't messed with electronics in a while.. i am more of a computer type genious....

I am going to take it apart and see if something obvious is out of wack.

I wouldn't think it would be my signal relay.. since my turnsignals work just fine

Check those main bus connections you can see in my photo above, first, since it'll be very obvious if one of those incoming wires is broken or loose where it connects to the board.

Well i just had the same problem too, bloody thing!

But myLCD display flashed on and off for a few days before buggering off for good. The orange backlight still works though as well.

Thanks for the advice posts here everyone, it has helped me a bit also but i cant find anything obvious.

All the joints, components and the boards seem fine, this is gonna be a tough one to DIY.

My flashed on and off for a few weeks before it finally died too. I didn't care much for messing around with it, so I replaced it with a Vapor - which I love; smaller, lighter, less power, way more features (tach!) and pretty cheap at $99. My old computer is currently being used as a boat anchor.

On a side note, if you end up going the Vapor route and still use 7/8" bars, let me know - I have a billet protector that I'm trying to get rid of (it doesn't work with ProTaper 1-1/8" adapters).

Mine died once, or at least I thought it did. As it turned out, when I replaced my battery, the thing worked fine. I found the battery to be the culprit.

Actually, it was my fault for charging the dog crap out of that poor little battery. Have you connected automotive chargers to the battery for extended periods? That little battery does not like that at all!

When I did buy my new battery, I read the side which indicated the charging instructions. That was an epiphany!

PS: Now I have a battery tender which I only use when absolutely neccesary. With no winter in West Virginia yet, I have not used it once this year.

I cant speak for Panaman here moto-dad but as far as i know the battery is fine, it starts the bike well and seems to have plenty of cranking amps to do the job.

I will have a look at it though, thats a good point.

The Vapor as batman (Mr) said he loves is looking pretty good at this stage.

If your battery can start the bike, it is not the problem with your dash. You would want to check the wires at the plug first for power. Do all the indicators work? No? Might be a ground problem (black wire with a White Stripe). All the indicators work but no LCD, then check the power wire to the dash (will be Orange) for power with the key on. Have power there and a good ground? Will have to delve further into the dash to find the fault.

In the picture supplied by DRZ400SK4 , a ground wire is broken/disconnected.

I just had the same thing happen to mine ... I took it apart and found one of the terminals on one of the chips on the board broke loose from the circuit board ... A dab of solder and a pencil iron solved my problem ... It took longer to disassemble and reassemble than the repair took ... the chip that was the culprit is on the edge of the board ... and sticks straight up ... and is about 1/2 inch square ... and about 1/4 inch thick ... I did'nt find it right away ... wiggle it with the unit pluged in ... and the ignition switch on ... my bet is that it will be the same chip ...

Thanks William, i will look again but all the other electrics are operationally spiffy.

Freewheelers i will take a closer look at that chip and others this afternoon, thanks both for the tips.

FOUND THE CULPRIT!!

Just as freewheelers said it was the three legged transistor that stands straight up next to a couple of large capacitors on the boards corner.:crazy:

I would attach the two pics i took of the offender as a help to others but apparently i am not allowed to:thumbsdn: so sorry fellow DRZ'ers.🤣

The thing had been rubbing on the top of the plastic cover housing from vibration, and the middle leg had weakened at the point underneath the transistor itself so no wonder i didnt see it- so much for the powers of observation the first time i looked...🤣

Thanks blokes, you just saved me $$ or $$$

:confused:

Mine just went out also while riding in the rain. It's been raining all week. I don't see any disconnected wires but it looks like there may me corrosion on the two wires at the end. What do you guys think? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

b8c5de7f.jpg

d9f2ef66.jpg