Here's what I did with the extra wire in the new headlight bulb (high beam):

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o171/sbabs/Pictures006.jpg

I couldn't find a decent place to mount the horn:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o171/sbabs/cyclepic002.jpg

Here's the new tire, looks pretty decent:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o171/sbabs/cyclepic001.jpg

Just what the bike is supposed to look like. :devil:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o171/sbabs/dirtybike.jpg

Now it starts getting fun. I need to learn about wiring, and I need to make a license plate bracket. I also need to mount another mirror, since I broke the first one. Will do that just prior to inspection. ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Begin original post:

I'm wanting to find out what the best dual sport (DOT legal) tire is going to be for me. I already have a Pirelli MT21 for the front, but will sell it and change if something is better.

I really only want the tire to be DOT legal, but after that, I want the best performing tire for the dirt. I don't care about street performance because I won't be using the bike on the street. I have to have legal tires and plates to ride in the National forest in Petosi Missouri. I'm told the rangers are ruthless at writing tickets.

Any thoughts on aggressive DS tires for front and rear?

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. On the note of DSporting my bike; I've got my stock headlight converted to Hi-low, and tonight I'm going to solder the extra lead into my tail light. The horn and mirror are mounted, as is the high-low on/off switch. I just need to install my brake hydraulics, solder the extra wire into my stock tail light, wire the bike, and fashion and install a license plate bracket. For the bracket, I plan on using a small aluminum "T" that will mount under the fender and hold the license plate. To illuminate the plate, (required ) I'm using Lite N Boltz, which look pretty trick and they are guaranteed for life. When I'm done I'll post some pictures, but it will be pretty average Joe compared to what some of the guys here put together.

Am I going to need to rewind my stator to light 2 tiny license plate lights, run the high beam, and push the brake light? I'll really never use the high beam but it is required. I'm sure the license plate lights pull almost nothing as well. Not sure about the brake light.

I've had the MT21 front tire and tossed it after two rides. It was terrible compared to the stock 739 tire. Unfortunately I can't give any other suggestions for a DOT front because I run a non-DOT tire now.

As for your stator question . . . Yes, You will surely have the headlight dim when using the brake light. Even when only using the low beam. The stock stator produces just enough juice for the stock lights and keeping the bike running. It would be wise to have it rewound. Plus, the benefit is that you can then run brighter bulbs and add-ons such as grip heaters and what not. The downside is that the headlight only works when the bike is running.

Based on my experience, and what lighting you want to run you'll be OK with the stock stator.

I DS'd my XR250 and with the stock stator, yes the headlight would very slightly dim if I hit the brakes (brake light on) but big deal.

I did rewind my stator because if I had the headlight on and was coming to a stop (brake light on) and also tried to use the turn signal then all bets were off. There wasn't enough power to flash the blinkers. You didn't mention turn signal lights so you should be OK.

I'm very happy with my stator rewind and it was easy to do - information to do it is on this site.

I like the mt21. I've been through several front 606s and the mt21 is a better dirt tire without a doubt. I run one on my xr250 and I can't complain about it in any condition. If you want dot, the mt21 is the best front knobby you'll find

Am I going to need to rewind my stator to light 2 tiny license plate lights, run the high beam, and push the brake light? I'll really never use the high beam but it is required. I'm sure the license plate lights pull almost nothing as well. Not sure about the brake light.

Figure 5 watts apiece for the license plate lights, 21 watts for the brakes, 35 watts for the standard headlight beam, plus whatever the turn signals draw - maybe 10 watts each side, conservatively. As I recall the stock headlight has no high beam, so if your state requires one, you'll have to find another headlight. It might be possible to replace the bulb only. But that will probably increase the load.

Figure a 5 watt bulb front and rear for the turn signals (probably more), plus whatever the flasher dissipates. So if you brake while the high beam is on, and use the turn signals, you're probably at 70 - 80 watts. It's more if you have a dual beam headlight and the high beams include the low. I wired mine that way, with the lows on constantly. If you never use the lights, and wire the light switch so you can turn them off, you might be okay. Just don't honk the horn. They typically pull a lot of current.

All this assumes no battery in the circuit. As someone else pointed out, the battery will act as a ballast to pick up the short term loads.

My shop manual shows the headlight as 35 watts, and the tail light as 5 watts. That and the ignition is the total electrical load for an XR400. I don't see a spec for the alternator output, so I don't know what it is. I'd guess however that the output isn't much more than 40 watts, plus the ignition load.

Thanks for the help. I won't be installing turn signals, not a requirement. I bought a replacement dual filament bulb, connector, and wires for my stock headlight and have installed the bulb and wiring.

I'm thinking I'll install and wire everything, and see if I can pass the inspection. Hope he doesn't ask me to hit the brakes with the hi beam on and honk the horn. :devil:

I have the Kenda Trakmaster mounted now and they are pretty agressive and they are DOT. Have a look:

http://www.kendausa.com/motorcycle/dual_sport.html

K760 Trakmaster II

I had the bike registered w/o a problem. I like the tire off road but its rough on road. Its rated 90%/10%

Do they hook up pretty good in the dirt?

I have a MT21 rear, D606 front right now. My dad has just the oppposite, MT21 front, D606 rear (on his XR650L). I like his combo much better than mine.

But dang these DOT's are expensive. What kinda price are those Trakmasters? Also how do they wear on the street?

I'm able to get an entire year of use out of a MT21 rear, on my old KLR250 I had the same D606 on it for about 3 years (then again that bike didn't have all that much power to tear up a rear tire). My D606 front has been on since just after new (it's an 03, so 3-4 years), and it still has some tread left, but it's just not aggressive enough for me. So I'm looking for something different to run.

I have had the MT-21's on the Moto Guzzi Quota for some Jeep road duty but I also bought a set of Conti TKC-80s for the big tank for more aggressive work... They are DOT and rated 60-40 and will wear out quickly with lots of road work... well, on the Q they will 'cause it weighs a ton, prolly not on your XR...

Rob

I ran the MT21 front and rear. Liked them better than the stock tires, which I ran after the MT21's wore out.

Next set was a MT18 front (DOT legal version, there is a non-DOT version) and Kenda 760 Trackmaster II rear. (DOT legal) I really liked that combo, which looks a lot like the Dunlop 756 pattern.

I've read numerous times the Kenda 760 Trackmaster II front tire sucks.

Kenda has several new DOT front tires, such as the Kenda K777F Enduro Front Tire.

MT18 photo

mt18.jpg

Do they hook up pretty good in the dirt?

I have a MT21 rear, D606 front right now. My dad has just the oppposite, MT21 front, D606 rear (on his XR650L). I like his combo much better than mine.

But dang these DOT's are expensive. What kinda price are those Trakmasters? Also how do they wear on the street?

I'm able to get an entire year of use out of a MT21 rear, on my old KLR250 I had the same D606 on it for about 3 years (then again that bike didn't have all that much power to tear up a rear tire). My D606 front has been on since just after new (it's an 03, so 3-4 years), and it still has some tread left, but it's just not aggressive enough for me. So I'm looking for something different to run.

I honestly can't compare them to anything because I just recently got the bike and these were on it. I have had no traction problems with them though. I have ridden some technical trails with some decent climbs and had no problem. They are about half gone too.

Mike

Kenda Trackmaster II rear is a great DOT rear, stear clear of the front.

MT16 is a good DOT front. Better in the dirt than the MT21, TMII, D606

yep...I run the trackmaster rear and the mt21 front on my xr250. The TMII is a good dirt tire...forget the fact that it's street legal. The mt21 front is MUCH better than any other dot I've found. The TMII is cheap....about $40 at rockymountain or dennis kirk

I think I'll give the Kendall a try, especially since the price is so low. If I hate it, it will at least get me plates for the bike, and then I put my 756 back on the bike, and just keep the Kendall for inspection time.