Rear sproket size for cross-country/trail riding

I have a 2006 KX450F that I took out riding for the first time last week. I only ride the bike for trail riding and will be racing occationally in cross-country races. The bike flat out rips and has insane amounts of power but I did have it pinned on some of the longer and straighter sections of fire roads. I want to change the rear sprocket to get more top end speed and will not mind if I give up a little bottom end. What size rear sprocket are people out there using that are riding their bikes in the same manner?

I have a 2006 KX450F that I took out riding for the first time last week. I only ride the bike for trail riding and will be racing occationally in cross-country races. The bike flat out rips and has insane amounts of power but I did have it pinned on some of the longer and straighter sections of fire roads. I want to change the rear sprocket to get more top end speed and will not mind if I give up a little bottom end. What size rear sprocket are people out there using that are riding their bikes in the same manner?

That was me today except I will be sticking with using it for MX only. I was a little supprised at how quick it ran out of steam but that shouldn't be an issue on the 07's.

I was shocked too about how quickly it pinned in 4th. I went and ordered a 48 tooth for the rear, I'm sure it'll help out. I'll definately be a little relieved because the bike shouldn't be accelerating quite as violently as before!

That's not violent that's fun hehehe

I was shocked too about how quickly it pinned in 4th. I went and ordered a 48 tooth for the rear, I'm sure it'll help out. I'll definately be a little relieved because the bike shouldn't be accelerating quite as violently as before!

Maybe a 14/50 combo might be worth a try. I just have to find a 14 around here somewhere.

Talk about violent acceleration, I just put a 53 rear on.... let me tell you you better be holding on when you twist the throttle thumbsup: Kills the top end big time though.... but I'm using this gearing for tight technical stuff around here. Track days the 50 will go back on.

Throwin' a 14 on the front in a few hours! We are headin' to the dunes and I am looking for alittle more top end... I will be running 14/50 rather then the stock 13/50... I will post how it feels on top end compared to stock!!

Turtle

How did it go?

Well... bad news! I ended up running the stock 13/50 at the dunes... Still worked great and had a good time with it...

The nut for the counter shaft sprocket WILL NOT come off!! We tried everything we could think of including a nice impact and even a wrench with a 4 foot cheater pipe on it!!! I decided to quit before something internally broke... Any ideas? Shy of taking it back to the dealer and getting their assistance!