Sign in to follow this  

Broken cam retainer...need advice

One of my cam retainers on my '01 DRZ 400E is broken, and I'm told that I must replace the complete cylinder head instead of just the broken part. Anyone had experience with this? I'm really not looking forward to dropping the dough for a whole new head if I can help it. I appreciate any first hand advice...CSD

One of my cam retainers on my '01 DRZ 400E is broken, and I'm told that I must replace the complete cylinder head instead of just the broken part. Anyone had experience with this? I'm really not looking forward to dropping the dough for a whole new head if I can help it. I appreciate any first hand advice...CSD
You could get a replacment from an otherwise ruined head, then send off the unmatched cam cap and your head to someplace like http://enginedynamics.com/ and have the head parts line bored (matched)

You could get a replacment from an otherwise ruined head, then send off the unmatched cam cap and your head to someplace like http://enginedynamics.com/ and have the head parts line bored (matched)

You can't just line bore it.

If the new part does not line up, you will need to have the surfaces built up first.

Can you post a few pics of the broken part, or at least describe the problem.

It may be repairable.

Neil.:devil::thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:

How did a journal cap get broken? Is this really the only problem with the head? Even though the caps are finished matched to a head, I would try a replacement cap and see how it fits. You might get lucky and just bolt on or have some minor fitting work to do. You are looking for .002 to .003 inch clearance in those bearings with a service limit of .006 inch.

You can't just line bore it.

If the new part does not line up, you will need to have the surfaces built up first.

Can you post a few pics of the broken part, or at least describe the problem.

It may be repairable.

Neil.:devil::thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:

I ASSUMED everyone would understand, line boring is the final step, not the only step. It never occurred to me, folks would not understand it would need to be inspected, measured ,if needed weld build up done, then line bored. If I confused someone by my abbreviated reply, my apologies.

When I took the thing apart, the decompression ring was in several pieces, so I'm thinkin' that it broke (somehow), and the spin off hit the retainer and broke it. I had a specialty welder put it (the cam retainer) back together, but it did not work...when I torqued the cover back down it broke in a different place...perhaps the welding process caused some weakining...

Anyhow, looking for the most effective way of fixing this, and is this a common occurence on the DRZ? CSD

I think I am starting to get the idea. Can you post a picture? Maybe a better welder if it is not screwed up too bad from the first attempt.

I'm thinkin' a re-weld is not an option...if it didn't work the first time I can't see it working at all. I don't have a picture of the part, but if you're interested in what part I'm talking about you can see a diagram at images.powersportsnetwork.com/fiche/images/suzuki/2000/motorcycles/2037_2.gif The part is not identified or labeled, but it is one of the table looking covers on top. Thanks...CSD