Sign in to follow this  

Why is GasGas like Rodney Dangerfield?

With all the good things I keep hearing (except from early fuel injected bike owners) about GasGas, why do they get so little recognition? With KTM showing up in the mags about once a month, GasGas gets written up once every 2 years?! The KTM 300 is again in DirtBike, but GasGas's 300 which seems to be more useable, reliable, adjustable and better handling goes unmentioned?!

I realize that a bike that just does what you ask it to is very "Vanilla", but why is having a linkless suspension that doesn't work well or tune well "Sexy".

Hopefully I'll be able to get and enjoy my FSE (which "Get's no respect"), before they realize they have to screw it up to be sexy.

I agree, they don't get the press they deserve. Perhaps it's because they haven't yet figured out that you have to buy a two-page spread in the mag; I opened up my new DirtRider and like a couple pages in Honda has a DirtRider cover that is raving about there '07- in their ad! Sheesh, they don't even try to hide it any more. :devil:

I agree. GasGas needs exposure to the masses. I don't know very many rider's who would consider one for purchase. Yet they are right at the top in performance and handling. I have an '05 FSE and it handles like a dream and the EFI is unbelieveable!

With all the good things I keep hearing (except from early fuel injected bike owners) about GasGas, why do they get so little recognition? With KTM showing up in the mags about once a month, GasGas gets written up once every 2 years?! The KTM 300 is again in DirtBike, but GasGas's 300 which seems to be more useable, reliable, adjustable and better handling goes unmentioned?!

I realize that a bike that just does what you ask it to is very "Vanilla", but why is having a linkless suspension that doesn't work well or tune well "Sexy".

They get so little recognition because the mags only take care of the "popular" bikes. It's amazing what the big 5's marketing and race results can do for bike sales,magazine sales, aftermarket sales...etc. even with inferior bikes. DirtBike did a test on the '05 GG450 in the Oct. issue last year and just wrote outright lies about the bike, but you wouldn't know it unless your were one of the very few who owned one. This might be a stretch but maybe they don't want to portray the bike as very good because if they were honest about the test and wrote that it is as good as anything else and with reliable EFI then maybe a lot more riders would buy them and start realizing that the hype about the big 5 bikes isn't what it's all cracked up to be.

What does seem odd to me is I've heard more complaints about KTM's suspension than any other bike and suspension is probably the single most important thing on a dirt bike. By the way, I like KTM's, but the hype is just rediculous. IMO, I think that to many riders want to be on what's popular more than which bike or dealer is actually good for them...:mad:

There is a new importer / distributor for GasGas in the US, and we're working on it. Our results with Husaberg have been good, regardless of how much we spend on ads. I've scheduled half a dozen bike tests for 2007.

Cheers,

Brett Saunders

Brett, I've been following things on the "GasGas Riders Club", and I must say that I'm very pleased to hear you've taken the line on. Being as I'm in Canada, hopefully your good work spills over the border.

Although you've already heard it, may I reiterate "Street Legal", "Warranty", "Parts Availability" & "Dealer Base"

Good Luck & Thanks

As for the review in DirtRider,

Anyone have a copy? Considering all the good I've heard, I'm dying to hear what's wrong with it.

Gas Gas gets respect in the Northeast..... They just beat the "Orange Tide" for NETRA Enduro and HS championships.

Mainstream mags are a joke. Dirt Bike had a World War 300 article a while back. Two KTM 300's and an over bored Kawi 250 You'd think adding the Gas Gas would be a no brainer. When Jimmy Lewis the editor of Dirt Rider rides a KTM at an event, we get instant online reports on the bike and event(Jimmy's KTM 200 at Last Man Standing comes to mind). I think he rode a Gas Gas at Erzberg, but no real mention of it online and when he won Unadilla GNCC Morning Race on the new '06 street legal Husky TE450 it was six months before a mention of it in the mag.:mad: On the other hand, Cycle News just had a good article on European Press Release of '07 Enduro bikes. My only dissapointment was that the 125 has less bottom end than a TM 125. Gas Gas will keep on gaining in respect, great bikes.

Norman

As for the review in DirtRider,

Anyone have a copy? Considering all the good I've heard, I'm dying to hear what's wrong with it.

There's not much really wrong with it at all. IMHO, the '05 only has two real trouble spots and they are the worst kickstand ever made and a smallish gas tank, other than that it's been a fantastic bike.

The lies and spins that DirtBike wrote were that the slipper clutch didn't have a consistant feel and you never know where the engagement will be and its hard to meter out and control. Well, that is completly untrue, it feels like a normal clutch and I never had a problem with it's feel even in technical rocks I was happy. So happy with it that when I bought the bike in July of '05 that I had the money for a Rekluse clutch but heald off buying it because I liked the slipper so much. I recently bought the Rekulse but would be happy going back to the slipper if I had to.

They also said the bike was tall and heavy. So tall that even there two editors who are over six ft. had a hard time with it.I've ridden many bikes over the last 25 years and I'm 6'1 and didn't think the seat height was to tall and I even installed a two inch higher seat, if you look in my garage you can see it with my (left) before pic and my (right) after pic. They said the seat height was tall because the shock was to long and the shock was to long because they thought it helped the bike turn sharper because it was a slow turning bike. They said the shock was so long that the bike felt like a big mechanical stinkbug. OK...that is one of the most laughable negative spins I've ever read in a DirtBike mag. When I was breaking in the bike I never touched the suspension untill I felt it was broken in and loosened up. During that time I was impressed by how sharp and precise the steering was and couldn't wait untill I dialed the suspension in. When I went to set my static sag I was surprised to see it was 4 inches, it was sagging way below were it should be and still turned great. After setting both rear sags correctly it turned even a little better. As for the stinkbug feel, it's just not there, I didn't even raise my bars and I like higher bars. On the scale it is a heavy bike but I was surprised as to how light it feels, even other people who ride it that own other 450's commented on how flickable it is.

On the last page of the article was a picture of the left side of the motor with a caption saying that the motor is fairly massive and contributes to the weight of the bike. The motor is no bigger than a DRZ's and of course the picture was taken on the side with the starter motor clutch. An XR650's motor is fairly massive.

In the '05 Dirt Rider 8 bike enduro shootout they wrote that it was a grumpy starter and the idle was inconsistant and some riders thought the low rpm response was spotty. Now this is nitpicking but I would have to admit that sometimes when I e-start the bike it won't light immediatly and I never just keep cranking on the starter. If it doesn't light in two seconds I simply wait two seconds and hit it again and it always fires on the first revolution. The idle is always perfect and never have I ever felt any spotty low end response, it's always instantanious and perfect.

They said all of the testers said they noticed reluctant upshifts. Sometimes I notice a little notchiness between 1st and 2nd but 2nd to 6th is pretty smooth.

They also wrote the same thing about the clutch as DB but like I said earlier, I would use it again. It's in a box in my garage and if anyone wants to buy it, it's not for sale.

They said the exhaust header could easily melt your pants. After a year and a half I haven't felt any heat or even seen a mark on my pants from the header.

Funny thing though, DR wrote that the steering was crisp, even on hard dirt but as stated above, DB wrote that it was a slow steering bike.

DR wrote that the suspension is mismatched and unbalanced yet praised it's excellent handling and composure. To me, those traits don't go together and the suspension feels as good as some of the best bikes I've riddden.

They said it had a notably loud exhaust note then wrote that it was 95.7db. It comes stock with an FMF Q. It's not loud be any means.

I never listen to those Bike tests and I even bought mine AFTER the DR 8 bike shootout even after reading those lies and spins. When I'm ready for another bike I would have no problem at all buying another GG450.

You really don't know these things unless you own the bike and since there aren't many out there and not many owners of '05's or newer to defend them, those statements in the mags may seem to hold credibility with potential buyers.

Back in the spring two riders rode my bike and liked it so much that they sold there KTM's. One guy bought a slightly used '05 GG300 and the other guy bought two leftover '05 GG450's(one for his house here and one for his other second home) and they've been extremly happy all summer.

Sorry for the long winded post but you seemed interested...:mad:

I know exactly what you're talking about...GG just doesn't seem to push, advertise or make readily available their enduro lineup! Perhaps that will change with the new importer, but I hear they already tacked on a huge price increase for '07...

I certainly hope Sherco doesn't fall to the same fate...

What the hell was that all about?! Levers and spark plugs? I've never fouled a plug, and If I've needed a lever I went down to the local shop and bought a honda lever that fits perfectly for $6. Did you ever change your oil? Learn how to ride a dirt bike and stay off the ground. Some people should never be allowed to own or even ride a dirt bike. Go buy a Kwad.

^^^Thats the reason I rarely visit TT anymore. Seems like its nothing but 14 year olds on this board now. You have to go through about 30 posts of garbage to find 1 useful piece of information.

All my GG's have held up real well. The new Pro trials bikes are dialed and the enduros are just as superb. Unfortunately I don't ride mine enough anymore. ...Sigh...Anybody wanna buy a 05 DE300? PM me...

^^^Thats the reason I rarely visit TT anymore. Seems like its nothing but 14 year olds on this board now. You have to go through about 30 posts of garbage to find 1 useful piece of information.

Your right man - I shouldn't have taken the bait. I'm just so sick of people logging on and typing up this whole rant about how terrible this or that bike is. Funny thing is, the only problem bike I've ever owned was a KTM - just couldn't get that thing to run properly (but I would never claim the whole brand is bad because of one poor experience). I know a lot of people that look to this site for information regarding their next ride and I hate to see things like this get in the way of someone purchasing an exotic bike of any kind. It's an adventure, and a rewarding one at that. I've owned VOR's and GasGas's and would love to someday pick up a berg or maybe something more rare (italians are my favorite). I guess exotics are for the select minded, others need not apply.:mad:

Opinions are like A**holes, everyone's got one, and some stink. It is fun to come to TT and get a good laugh at the mental midgets. "jimmy said it sucked"...wawawawawawaa. What if you had REAL problems

Hey guys it wasn't all that many years ago that KTM's were ridden by a handful of groupies. They must of done something right that GAS GAS has failed to do. KTM dealers are not scarce anymore and parts are not really an issue. One of the major complaints I have seen about GG and Husqvarna for that matter is supply. The dealers are scarce. I was considering getting the 300 last year but in the end it was the lack of dearlers who suport the bike and parts that turned me away. Their bikes might be great but anyone who rides all year long always considers the potential problems and how fast they can receive service to keep it on the trail. The magazine reviews I have read have always been favorable toward GG.

If you ask me it's their deplorable marketing plan that kills them.

Bikes get about as much coverage as they deserve based on UNIT SALES not including play-type bikes or our magazine would be filled with CRF50, TTR 230 and KLX 110 stories. Some wierd brands, Husaberg comes to mind, get better coverage because they have active marketing/press relations. Some don't, like Gas Gas because I have a hard time getting bikes to test.

I wrote as much about my LMS KTM 200, less really, that I did about the SAME 2005 Gas Gas 250 EC I've raced for the last two years at Erzberg. You really want a test on a two year old bike?

If you think advertising plays any role in how we do things at Dirt Rider, you don't know the first thing about me (most don't, even though they claim a lot.) I was pretty surprised by the Honda fake cover as well, and the Cigar ads too...I see that stuff when you do.

JIMMY

• Like 1

Bikes get about as much coverage as they deserve based on UNIT SALES not including play-type bikes or our magazine would be filled with CRF50, TTR 230 and KLX 110 stories. Some wierd brands, Husaberg comes to mind, get better coverage because they have active marketing/press relations. Some don't, like Gas Gas because I have a hard time getting bikes to test.

I wrote as much about my LMS KTM 200, less really, that I did about the SAME 2005 Gas Gas 250 EC I've raced for the last two years at Erzberg. You really want a test on a two year old bike?

If you think advertising plays any role in how we do things at Dirt Rider, you don't know the first thing about me (most don't, even though they claim a lot.) I was pretty surprised by the Honda fake cover as well, and the Cigar ads too...I see that stuff when you do.

JIMMY

I never thought it was about advertising dollars, but the unit sales and squeakey wheel marketing people thing makes sense. Also East-West thing, Trail Rider gets the Husky and Gas Gas test bikes because they are closer to the distributors and the Big Five get the bikes to wherever they need to be, no matter what. I guess it's a path of least resistance thing for the big mags.

Norman

Some don't, like Gas Gas because I have a hard time getting bikes to test.

JIMMY

Now that Dixie is handling GAS GAS hopefully that will change.

JIMMY

Apparently advertising does play a role at Dirt Rider, maybe you just learned something about where you work. I'm sure Dirt Rider didn't accidently let the Honda ad in there...:mad:

The GasGas is a great bike, but the california environment is not it's strong point. The Gassers get lots of respect on the east coast, and in the pacific north west, but we are not the majority of the USA offroad bike sales. If it was up to our areas alone, the KTM 125exc would still be imported into the USA. California enduro riders don't even consider a 125 enduro or a GasGas type enduro bike to be an option, yet they are at the top of my list and are popular in my area. There is not a big incentive for the GasGas importer to provide a bike to a magazine that will test it in an environment that is not it's forte, it's doomed to mediocre or worse results.