Primary Drive chains and sprockets, worth buying?

It's a quagmire out there when it comes to products and claims. IMO there is nothing better for longevity than steel sprockets. They cost less too. Chain is more difficult. Somewhere in every manufacturer's literature there is a tensile strength number that they claim for each line of chain. The DID spec sheet is in the Honda parts book and gives a wear index too. A lot of others list data too, but it can be a challenge to dig it up. I'm sticking with modern O-Ring chain, because it lasts longer than anything else I've tried.

I have bought their Alloy Sprockts and Gold Racing Chain (non O-ring) for my KTM 450sx and they have held up great. The chain so far is not stretching nearly as much as my stock Regina chain, and the sprockets have no visable wear...Im thinking about getting another pair for my new YZ, the only thing that is making me think is I kinda want a black sprocket. :mad:

Last winter I bought 2 sets of PD chain and sprockets. I got the steel sprockets and regular O-ring chain. We ride almost every weekend, sometimes MX, sometimes woods. Long story short, I just now adjusted the chain on the 426, and I still haven't adjusted the chain on the 250F. So IMO the Primary Drive combos are very high quality and I plan on buying them again if/when these sets wear out. :mad:

I want to replace the drive-line on my wr450, is the Primary Drive stuff any good? I ride desert and mountain trails. What is the best combo, they have so many different chains and sprockets, aluminium, steel, o-ring non o-ring?????

Thanks for the advice.

Get good O-RING chain, RK or whatever you find, steel sprockets are cheaper and last longer, get a 15 for the front and a 46 or 44 for the rear, it gets scary fast with that gearing, the guys on XR650's look twice when i can hang with them on my 450!!!!!

Get good O-RING chain, RK or whatever you find, steel sprockets are cheaper and last longer, get a 15 for the front and a 46 or 44 for the rear, it gets scary fast with that gearing, the guys on XR650's look twice when i can hang with them on my 450!!!!!

Fast isnt always desireable, if you get into some tight stuff that gearing will work the hell out of your clutch, it all depends on your style of riding and at my altitude I would have a hard time hit the top of 5th with that gearing so in all reality I would be slower running a 15/46 combo than a 15/52 combo. just my .02

Fast isnt always desireable, if you get into some tight stuff that gearing will work the hell out of your clutch, it all depends on your style of riding and at my altitude I would have a hard time hit the top of 5th with that gearing so in all reality I would be slower running a 15/46 combo than a 15/52 combo. just my .02

Completely agree with TSK350, depends on what you want, but original post said that he rides desert, so i figured high speeds, 15-52 would be great for tight technical stuff, but not for me, if i used that gearing a 125 would smoke me!!! :mad: :mad:

I have 3 years on my Ironman sprockets and I've desert raced all three years. I have about 4,000+ miles on these and the same Regina "z" ring chain. Awesome stuff!

In addition the Ironman sprockets don't weigh a lot more than the Aluminum ones They are very well designed.

Their contershaft sprockets are an obvious upgrade when you just look at the machining they do to each one.

• 6 months later...

Supersprockets for me (14/50 as per standard)

The rear is a gold anodised alloy centre with a black steel perimeter so the chain (an RK O-ring) never comes into touch with the alloy. So u get the benefits of longer lasting steel and lighter weight alloy.

They also look ?