first race... DNF...

well folks, i made one lap (appox. 9 miles) of the Pismo Beach endurance race this past weekend but came in at 1hour 1 minute 33 seconds which made it a DNF:bonk:(it was an hour long race) I've ridden the dunes over there alot and racing on it is a whole new ball game.

i ran over a chick on the second turn which was up hill then you turn left down the hill. then i get going again and see my buddy laying on the ground off a 15ft drop off so i had to slow down cause he was in my way (he ended up bending his bars all up and hurt his hip). then i got into a whoop section and got bounced up over the handle bars right onto my back. i had to pull the hot start to get my bike to go again and it ended up getting stuck on for the rest of the race!

i got stuck on a few hills and had to dig my bike out of the sand. we couldn't run paddles so i ran 5 psi in my knobby and it still sank like a rock.

all in all it was a good learning experiance to actually do a race. one of my friends ended up getting 2nd in stock quad class with 3 laps and it was his first race also.

did anyone else do this race? it was a WORCS race

I raced my YFZ in the ATV Vet-C race. We had 57 finisher just in our class. The whoops were my undoing. Just could run the throttle after 2 laps. Had a great start, tried to stay relaxed, but still pumped-up bad. Beat 50 got beat by 6.... So it goes.

JW

cool deal, i'm wanting to ride the sport c quad class next year cause my 426 wore me out so bad but i think thats cause i've only been riding a bike for 6 months. a quad would of been pretty nice just cause there were a whole bunch of off camber turns and drop offs and whatnot that i pretty much said i'm done and droped my bike.

ps. does anyone know why on the leader board my buddy placed higher than me when he didn't even make it 5 minutes into the race and i made a lap but went past the time limit?

Wow, sounds exhausting and fun. Do you know the reason for no paddles?

i'm not sure why they didn't allow paddles... it would have made my day go alot smoother! the pros didn't need them, they just flew over the sand. i heard that Ty Davis (i think thats who it was) ran 0 psi with 3 rim locks in the back. i probably should have gone down to 4 but i can't afford to bend up a rim

yeah i plan on running a few more. the sand was about the hardest terrain i could of picked for my first race, it was just the fact that i've ridden my bike out there 10 times and a quad numburous times so i thought i would do better. i was thinking about doing supermotos too since i ride my bike on the street alot.

cool deal, i'm wanting to ride the sport c quad class next year cause my 426 wore me out so bad but i think thats cause i've only been riding a bike for 6 months. a quad would of been pretty nice just cause there were a whole bunch of off camber turns and drop offs and whatnot that i pretty much said i'm done and droped my bike.QUOTE]

oceanobeachrace2005053.jpg

Heh, lots of pictures of our start last year. That's me at the far left front end of the line with the black shirt/no number/que-ball white helmet.

Got a good start this year as well, went at like a 50% pace and still bumped-up to the point I couldn't work the damn thumb throttle by the half way point. I think the quad course prolly was a little more fun, but the whoops just got reallly bad. There were whoops at the top of dunes, at the very base of dunes, going across the dunes sideways, in the trenches in the turns, etc. Very fun, just no chance to recover.

All in all a great experience. I'd recommend that it be tried at least once, as it will give an insight into how good-a-shape the pros are in...

JW

well i just saw that i did finish and i got 23rd out of about 30 i guess the sheet they posted was incorrect

Heh, ya, been looking at the results myself. Guess there were 70 guys not 57 in my class.

Congrats on being able to see yourself on paper (compy screen). I know how it feels to be missing...

We'll get'm next year. It'll just take a little more training ;-)

JW