Questions about touring in Mexico

hello all.

I'm planning a 6 week tour of Mexico on my xr650 {also with a drz400 and a 950 adventure} and was wondering if you guys and gals could help me out with some info.

blow is an extremely rough idea of the trip route.

Mexico%20trip.bmp.jpg

1- gearing, will 15/48 be tall enough for such great distances?

2- is a visa required for Mexico?

3- if a visa is required will i have to get a 2nd one if i go to Belize for the day?

4- i have heard you need to get you bike bonded to make sure you don't sell it down there. is this true?

5- what are the areas i should see for sure?

6- what areas should i avoid?

thx for any info

Simon

Yes you need a "TOURIST" visa if you are there for more then days. Your local consulate should have them and they are very easy to obtain, but you need a your birth certificate (original) or a valid passport. No clue on the Belize aspect of it.

As far are places to see, in Baja, check out

-Mikes Sky Ranch

-Laguna Hansen

-Guadalupe Canyon

(all of these spots are within 3 hours of each other and all connected by trails!)

And copy what Landshark said, Stay Together and bring some sort of cable lock!

Also keep your visa and $ secure! When i go down, i usually put my $ in all different places and only keep $20 in my wallet, that way if i am robbed (which i have never been) the scumbag gets all i have (or so he thinks)

check out Mulaje too.

bring your visa, locks, plenty of cash, and a group of easy going people. Things get hairy sometimes down there, and you don't want any smartass people in your group pissing off the federalis. Be careful!

hello all.

I'm planning a 6 week tour of Mexico on my xr650 {also with a drz400 and a 950 adventure} and was wondering if you guys and gals could help me out with some info.

blow is an extremely rough idea of the trip route.

1- gearing, will 15/48 be tall enough for such great distances?

2- is a visa required for Mexico?

3- if a visa is required will i have to get a 2nd one if i go to Belize for the day?

4- i have heard you need to get you bike bonded to make sure you don't sell it down there. is this true?

5- what are the areas i should see for sure?

6- what areas should i avoid?

thx for any info

Simon

I have been once and I am in the process of planning a January trip. Here is what I do know.

Yes on the Visa to cross

When you cross the border you will have to have a credit card and they will put a $350 charge on the card if you do not check that same vehicle back in.

Go to Baja Bound .com and they will give you answers to all your questions.

As far as placed to avoid, can't tell you any. One tip don't get caught with guns, bullets or dope. This aint Cambodia.

I've done that trip many, many times.

Lived in Belize, did central america-6 times- as well.

Send a pm if you really want to know the ins and outs of it all.

And while you are at it--consider the flight from Cancun to Havannah.

+1 on checking www.advrider.com lots of info there.

Importation paper work and cancellation of same will all be explained at the borders. Bring your ownership, drivers licence (I think US insurance papers are not needed but why not bring it along), passport and the usual wallet fillers.

The costal highway south of Los Mochis is a good party route that can be done on a Goldwing. XR folk may also enjoy going down the mountains. There are some awesome trails and twisty tarmac between Puebla and Oxaca (off the top of my head) and cross the border around Paso Hondo (stop at San Cristobal de las Casas).

To stay away from.... hummm nah!

If you have space in your lugagge :mad: (xr) get a Baja Almanaq for offroading (or get some GPS tracks from other travellers:ride: ). A large map of Mexico will be good for the "mainland" and Guatemela.

Tyre up in Mexico. Guatemala and Belize will not be as good for tyre choice and sizes...

Eduardo.

Huh? I have been dozens of times and never heard of ANYTHING of this nature. Care to elaborate?

Thanks

The "Importation" is not needed for Baja California (maybe other border areas as well:excuseme: ) so you can drive in and out of Baja with no problems. If you enter the rest of the country you have to have a permit that must be displayed on the winshield of the car (bikers jusr carry it). For example, if you want to take the Ferry from La Paz to Los mochis (usualy to go to Copper Canyon) you must get the permit.

Now, here is a question for Mexico Vets: Aparently you can only bring one vehicle per turist in mainland Mexico. So, what do you do if you have two riders towing bikes with a truck?

Eduardo.

Huh? I have been dozens of times and never heard of ANYTHING of this nature. Care to elaborate?

Thanks

When you take a vehicle acrosss the border they require a deposit/retainer to assure that you are not crossing with the intent to make a sale. it is there way to guarantee the tax is paid.

I don't know where you cross but it is that way when you cross from Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.