Kickstart shaft came out....

I was removing the engine crancase cover to repair my leaking coolant pump (again) and the kickstart shaft came out of its hole in the back of the case. Is it possible to reinstall without removing the clutch assembly? I am afraid the washer at the very back of the shaft has fallen behind the clutch and I can't see it. It is hard to tell what is going on in there with the d@mn clutch in the way. If the washer has fallen off and is behind the clutch I can't see it. I have jiggled the shaft around some and it doesn't seem to want to seat back in the hole in the back of the case AND align the gears that mate to the crank.

Thanks,

Chuck- Charlotte, NC

I had the exact same problem and was able to get to find the hole. I put grease on the washer to hold it in place and took a long screw driver to compress the spring onto the shaft. While holding the screw driver at an angle above the clutch, I was able to wiggle it in there. Now my problem is that after assembly it sounds like the ratchet won't let go. I have had it apart 3 times and don't know if the spring tension is wrong. I can't find anything in the DRZ400 manual because it only show the S electric start. I found the parts schematic at bikebandit so I know it is assembled with all the correct parts in the proper order.

sincerely frustrated.

Jeff