DRZ-SM turbo project

yes, as silly as it sounds, I'm turbo'ing my DRZ. I will be doing a as-I-go thread here, posting pics, data and I'm sure there will be some useless debating too here and there :mad:

I've been doing a lot of research, finding the components best suited for this project. I've got most of them, just have a couple dangling modifiers to take care of before I actually roll up the sleeves and put them all together. But I just received today, the most important piece....the turbo itself. Here's a pic of it to give you an idea how tiny this thing is!

GT12-5.jpg

GT12-3.jpg

GT12-4.jpg

stay tuned for more updates.

• Like 1

nice. i wanna know for sure how it turns out.

if i knew you were doin this, i woulda gave you my setup i parted out! ::

DSC00322.jpg

im waitin to put our twin turbo 350Z motor on my SM:

DSC00192.jpg

hahahaha.

good luck with your project. if all works out well, you should consider keeping a log and jigs to make 'kits' for the DRZ. :mad:

if all works out well, you should consider keeping a log and jigs to make 'kits' for the DRZ. :mad:

Oh, thats half the reason I'm doing this. I'll be offering "kits" when I get done.....but I didn't want to make it look like spam. I'm mostly posting this for those interested in such things.

But I'm guessing that turbo/system would have been a TAD too big for a DRZ ::mad:

Man....all that polished stuff on there must have been a pain to keep clean! Looks good though :mad:

For what its worth, it is very hard to get any turbo spinning consistently at low RPM's in a single 4 stroke because of the pulsation of the exhaust. The formula SAE team at a few schools have tried for many years and had trouble getting the low speed response acceptable. They have tried split length exhaust headers to change the way the pulses get to the turbo, but I am not sure what the results were.

In any event consider an EFI conversion. The lt450R throttle body combined with an alpha N setup using the microsquirt aftermarket computer could get you running very well for well under 800 dollars.

Oh, thats half the reason I'm doing this. I'll be offering "kits" when I get done.....but I didn't want to make it look like spam. I'm mostly posting this for those interested in such things.

:mad: I'll be watching, on both boards...

In any event consider an EFI conversion. The lt450R throttle body combined with an alpha N setup using the microsquirt aftermarket computer could get you running very well for well under 800 dollars.

I could do that....but it would raise the price of the system too much. Availible wattage is another concern.

I'm very comfortable with both carb's and EFI. I just don't see much advantage to converting to EFI for a "mild" turbo system....as far as turbo engines go anyway. The advantages aren't worth the cost IMO.