2001 XR200 Shifting problems

hello all ,I sometimes have a hard time gearing down my bike while aggressive driving ie. 2-1 or 3-2 and I cannot get it in the lower gear unless I almost come to a stop, it feels like there is nothing there or like it should already be in first or something????:mad: .....It can be a little dangerous if you are following someone and you have to slam on your brakes any help would be greatly appreciated :mad:

Well the worst thing you can do is slam it harder.....but it sounds like your shift fork is bent.....Supposedly, it's a pretty common problem in 200s.

I have experienced this too, but I don't know what caused it. I think if it was a bent part it would happen all the time, not just once in a while.

I have experienced this too, but I don't know what caused it. I think if it was a bent part it would happen all the time, not just once in a while.

Yes it does seem kind of wierd that it only happens everyonce in a while, and at low rpm's it doesn't miss ever :mad:

Good point about it happening only sometimes......and I have heard about a worn shift star being a problem too....so that very well might be it.

Well the worst thing you can do is slam it harder.....but it sounds like your shift fork is bent.....Supposedly, it's a pretty common problem in 200s.

Quick Draw,

The symptom of a bent shift fork is jumping out of, or slipping in a certain gear. The dogs on the gears don't get full engagement one way, and are over engaged the other way with a bent fork. While it can happen on any bike, not very common on a XR200 unless someone is stomping under power when shifting. See it more on high HP bikes. Maybe you meant shift spindle, but they don't bend more than on any other bike really.

The most common cause of the mentioned shifting problem if everything else checks out ok, is a worn or damaged shift cam/star and shift plate. Always replace both no matter how they look! Been this way for 36 years starting with the 1970 SL100!:mad:

Old School Al

I agree with Old School Al and I would add "replace the selector star and the locating roller/arm and spring every time you have shifting problems" to what Old School Al said.

I have two complete xr200 transmissions on my workbench at the moment, a 1983 XR200R and a 1988 XR200R (the big difference being the kick starter gears, k/s shaft, and c/s shaft length outside the left case); I'm picking through the pieces to make one transmission out of the best parts although some parts were bad in both transmissions and needed replacement.

The worn parts that I ordered from Honda are as follows:

shift selector star (very worn on both)

shift selector star roller & spring (the wheel on the roller was sloppy)

all three shift forks (they actually looked okay but since I was there...)

shift fork shaft (worn to the min. acceptable OD)

the 39t countershaft sprocket (the only one with a permanent brass/bronze insert, not a removable bushing; the ID of both of these gears were WAY out of specification)

third gear on the countershaft (the ID on both were w/in specification but the slots where the dogs fit into were beveled on both gears from missed shifts), and

all of the transmission bushings and the three removable end bearings (all relatively cheap when you consider that this is a sideways split motor and you have to completely pull it apart to get into the transmission - unlike my larger road race bikes).

Last night I decided to order the shims and washers between the gears, too. They are only about $1.50 or $2 each and if they are worn that could create slop in the dog engagement.

Received my new 36t countershaft first gear Friday. Just for grins, I measured the ID and it was farther out of specifications than the worn one that I am trying to replace.

Bad Honda, Bad!

btw, in an earlier post I said that this was a 39t by error. It's a 36t, part no. 23420-KT0-770. Permanent brass or bronze insert, no removable bushing.

Had trouble with my 96 XR200R regarding intermittent issues with getting into 1st gear when engine warm. Replaced the stopper plate (gearshift cam), stopper arm, spring and stopper arm bolt and fixed the shifting problems. These are external shift linkage parts and relatively easy to get to - just be sure to order the special Honda tool to remove the clutch basket and oil spinner chamber.

The Clymer said to securely tighten the stopper arm bolt w/o torque specs and I promptly sheared the bolt head off - luckily the bolt stud easily backed out with a Q-Tip. Be sure to order a new stopper arm bolt and tighten just enough to ensure it stays in place. Maybe the factory manual has torque specs, probably in inch-pounds. Otherwise a straightforward job at around $100 in parts.

So if my XR is not shifting, what are the  parts that would need replacing from the diagram below?

image.jpeg

Items 6 and 10. The shift "star and plate" (not sure if that's what Honda's calling them). When the dogs on the star get rounded, and also the area on the plate that engages them, the plate can skip/hop over the dogs and not rotate the shift drum. The shifter lever will move but nothing happens. It's usually the 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd dogs that get worn the most first. Wouldn't hurt to replace the spring (item 11) too. You can replace them with the engine still in the frame but if memory serves you might have to pull the clutch to get at them. (I've never had a problem with items 7,8,and 13) 

Thanks! That is pretty much what I was thinking. Wasn't sure if I needed anything more. The clutch is toast so that is getting replaced as well. Thanks again.

• Like 1