Sign in to follow this  

Jumps Today

I posted this in the genral forum, but wanted to share again :mad:

Im new to motocross. I mostly trails ride, but I have the desire to become a decent MX rider too.

I cleared 2 different doubles today that I have previously had trouble with.

I dont know the distances, but Im really excited. No crashes today on the MX track which is also rare for me.

The first one i came down right on the downslope it felt like a thing of beauty, the second one i was so determined to clear it...I landed on the flat passed it..was a little rough but I made it.

^ me too I always think this time i'm gonna do it then get naer the jump and think sh*t thats steep ha ha

As a 48 year old who's back on the bike after a 22 year layoff, I know the feeling of those little victories. All last season we stared at a couple of doubles we knew we could clear, this year first time out we went for them. The results and feeling of accomplishment were fantastic. Confidence will grow and so will your skills. CONAGRATS!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, when I say we, I mean my brother is back on a bike after the same layoff. It's amazing what a 450 will do.

If I can get a still frame off of WMP from a movie I have... I'll show you all a jump my friend wants me to do when we go to Budds Creek this weekend... 90' UPHILL DOUBLE!!!

Here is the video...

th_BUddsUphillDouble.jpg

John45; Awesome and congatulations to you!!!

Not to ever get in your business or throw out advice, but be sure to grip the bike with your knees, keep your weight somewhat centered over the bike, steady throttle and never ever chop the throttle on the face of the jump. These simple ideas will pretty much keep you out of having to make a serious in the air correction.

I love hearing the enthusiasm in your post and never wish for somebody to slow their learning curve due to injury. Gary Semics had a jumping video that had a lot of good pointers in it.

Kinda' like that one good golf shot out of 104 that makes you want to go back, huh?

Be safe mate and most of all have fun with it!!!!!

If I can get a still frame off of WMP from a movie I have... I'll show you all a jump my friend wants me to do when we go to Budds Creek this weekend... 90' UPHILL DOUBLE!!!

Here is the video...

th_BUddsUphillDouble.jpg

umm NO WAY...that seems like i would have to be 4th gear full throttle..im not ready for that yet...

But if you can do that. I have alot of respec for you.

i hope to be able to do it... i dont even race. my largest jump so far is a 70-75ft. double. cleared it but had bad footing and sprained both ankles. this will be the biggest jump ive gone for since then. all i do is follow my buddy who has no mental thought processes at all... if he jumps it fine, then i follow him.

I used to be pretty timid on jumps but now i just suck it up and go for it most of the time. I try to find a rider to keep up with and hit the jump at the same time as him so i know how fast so hit it. That helps a lot.

^ me too I always think this time i'm gonna do it then get naer the jump and think sh*t thats steep ha ha

Yeah, I get going sometimes..then the face of the jump can look soooo intimidating, but ive decided sometimes now i just need to go for it.