Sign in to follow this  

Would my bike run better w/ 93 b/c of my FCR?

I use 87 octane now. Everyone I ride with thinks I'm crazy. They all put 93 in. I know w/ a stock bike, there is no need or benefit from using higher octane. Does the FCR-MX I have change this?

I'm no expert, but the carberation circut is not effected by the type of gas you run.

I belive using higher octane gas would only help if you run a higher compression motor,. i.e, you put the thinner base gasket on your engine, the higher compression wisco piston or some of the other engine mod. Someone else may chime in and give you a better run down.

If your engine is stock, 87 will be fine.

Dave

The only thing I would add is that 93 is not necessary but as gas sits it degrades so almost everyone I know puts 93 in their bikes so that they don't have any issues when they sit for a few weeks.

The oil companies have brainwashed just about everyone into thinking that high octane gas is "better."

The truth is that high octane gas:

- has no more energy than lower octane gas

- is not more refined

- is not "cleaner"

- does not get better gas mileage

- is only needed if your high compression engine would suffer from pre-ignition with lower octane gas.

Also, at high altitudes where the air has less oxygen, there is less need for high octane gas even in high compression engines.

The only thing I would add is that 93 is not necessary but as gas sits it degrades so almost everyone I know puts 93 in their bikes so that they don't have any issues when they sit for a few weeks.

Not an issue seeing as how I usually go through 2-3 tanks a week.

The oil companies have brainwashed just about everyone into thinking that high octane gas is "better."

The truth is that high octane gas:

- has no more energy than lower octane gas

- is not more refined

- is not "cleaner"

- does not get better gas mileage

- is only needed if your high compression engine would suffer from pre-ignition with lower octane gas.

Also, at high altitudes where the air has less oxygen, there is less need for high octane gas even in high compression engines.

Watch it. Higher octane fuel will indeed do nothing for fuel mileage in a carbureted machine but CAN get you some mileage gains with a sophisticated fuel injected motor with knock sensors. Newer automobile engines are programmed to run maximum timing on the motors to where they are borderlined knocking. With higher octane fuel, the motor runs more advance in the timing giving you slight fuel mileage gains. Once again gains are minimal. My toyota got about 6% better fuel mileage over the course of 4 tanks with premium fuel but that didn't cover the 10% increase in the price. Just thought I would throw this little tid bit of info out there. I know it's not bike related but I am sure some people will enjoy this info. Cheers

Just thought I would throw this little tid bit of info out there. I know it's not bike related but I am sure some people will enjoy this info. Cheers

I didn't know that. But given that 99% of all I know is moto trivia anyway, this is good to know.