wRIST INJURY

Hi Dr. Mark,

Four months ago I crashed my streetbkie and fractured my third and forth metacarpal bones in my left hand. The doctor told me to splint it for six weeks (which I did, I was very good), and after the six weeks they re-xray'd it and said it was good to go, to start working it.

Six weeks after that I had been riding dirtbikes with a brace, and the wrist was still very weak and sore. I called them back and they got me in again two weeks later (4 months total), and the doctor did a test of squeezing my hand together and it was really sore, which he said showed that two bones in my wrist needed to be fused together.

The odd thing is that I have a hole (for lack of a better term) in the top of my left wrist just below my first and second metacarpals when I make a fist and flex my wrist upwards. In my right wrist in the same place is a very strong, and protruding tendon or muscle going across the top of the wrist.

My question is, is it possible that there is a muscle or tendon that has come unattached from the top of my hand, and that is what was where the hole is now. That very junction is where I have hardly any strength.

Should I go for a second opinion before I let the first guy cut into me and fuse those wrist bones together. I'm 45, and in great health except for this new wrist thing. Thanks for listening to my babblings, as my wife thinks I'm paranoid and second guessing.

Thanks again, Jeff

Hi Dr. Mark,

Four months ago I crashed my streetbkie and fractured my third and forth metacarpal bones in my left hand. The doctor told me to splint it for six weeks (which I did, I was very good), and after the six weeks they re-xray'd it and said it was good to go, to start working it.

Six weeks after that I had been riding dirtbikes with a brace, and the wrist was still very weak and sore. I called them back and they got me in again two weeks later (4 months total), and the doctor did a test of squeezing my hand together and it was really sore, which he said showed that two bones in my wrist needed to be fused together.

The odd thing is that I have a hole (for lack of a better term) in the top of my left wrist just below my first and second metacarpals when I make a fist and flex my wrist upwards. In my right wrist in the same place is a very strong, and protruding tendon or muscle going across the top of the wrist.

My question is, is it possible that there is a muscle or tendon that has come unattached from the top of my hand, and that is what was where the hole is now. That very junction is where I have hardly any strength.

Should I go for a second opinion before I let the first guy cut into me and fuse those wrist bones together. I'm 45, and in great health except for this new wrist thing. Thanks for listening to my babblings, as my wife thinks I'm paranoid and second guessing.

Thanks again, Jeff

Post a copy of the x-ray and a picture of the hand. I think I all ready know what the problem is, but I want to see a picture before I commit myself.