Introducing the KYB PHASE 4 Fork

I'm thinking about to use a softer spring to make it lower.

I'ts just my unprofessional opinion, but when compression damping is that positive and consistent and precise(as the Phase 4 fork delivers), you can generally get away with a much softer spring than you would have otherwise.

Keep us posted on the results!

i just spoke to dave yesterday about running softer springs, i have .48's,.50's and .52's to test with. i was running .50's with 6.0 rr and it was well balanced(before phase 4). so i asked dave if this setup was stroke position sensative,and he said they worked the same no matter where they were in the stroke:applause: so i'm gonna try the .48's, between the 10 lbs i've lost (plan on 10 more) and the way these tend to ride high i think it'll work out. i'm also gonna run 2.5wt fluid to alleviate some of the fluctuation in temp and also to free up the rebound with the lighter springs. dave also said he's makin' good headway with the testing?

I'ts just my unprofessional opinion, but when compression damping is that positive and consistent and precise(as the Phase 4 fork delivers), you can generally get away with a much softer spring than you would have otherwise.

Keep us posted on the results!

Excellant point. I've mentioned this before several times when I see .48 springs recommended for a 185lb rider on a CRF. If you make the valving CONTROL the shaft speed from the first inch of dynamic travel you won't need truck springs to keep the bike from bottoming or wallowing too deep in the stroke.

Use that mid-valve!?

Hi all P4 users!!!!

Just wondering if anyone has made any headway? I have not got to ride all that much, my son has had a nasty stomach flu :ride: No Bueno!!! I will get out this sunday for sure.

Tom,

If you're biting at the bit for something new we can change you over to what I'm currently testing or something close to it.

It's a lot better than what you have, I'm just not 100% that I have it as dialed as I would like. But your input may be helpful so if you have the time I'm up for it.

I've been working and testing Bob's forks over the last few weeks and I think this has flushed out some issues that he and the others were having. I'm holding his forks hostage for as long as he can live without him (he's upgrading his bike so I have some time) with the intention to really get him something ultra fast and smooth.

Dave

Hey Dave,

I might have some time later this week, not sure though. If I am able to get up to your house i will give you a call. What about this new build do you feel is better? :ride: With the improvement that you make every time my forks see you how could I not be chomping at the bit.:ride:

Tom

Hey Dave,

I might have some time later this week, not sure though. If I am able to get up to your house i will give you a call. What about this new build do you feel is better? :ride: With the improvement that you make every time my forks see you how could I not be chomping at the bit.:ride:

Tom

I have really bumped up the rate on the UHSBO springs. In fact, I'm now running two sets of springs on the mid-valve.

I'm also running some bleed on the rebound, which has really helped, and added some bleed on the mid-valve.

The latest set-up is too soft and in some cases I still think the blow off is a bit pre-mature, but at least you can pin it without the fork over-stroking on the big hits and it still feels good on the lower speeds as well.

I'm still testing of course, but I know that if I moded your forks today, with the new changes, you would be happier.

But I'll have some even better stuff by next week, or it may stay close to what I already have. So it's up to you when you would like to jump in. The sooner the better for me since it's more feedback to work with.

Michu - I still owe you some springs but I have yet to send them since I may also need to include some additional shims for you, which I have yet to calculate.

• 3 weeks later...
Is this project dead? Haven't seen an update in a while and miss reading it.

Thanks for checking in.

Bob (ncmontainman) is out testing a new version today...as I type.

And I’ve sent out various update kits to a few other users as well for further evaluation. If this next round of testing proves worthy, I’ll start updating some of the original prototypes. I should be posting some details later in the week as well.

Perhaps we could also talk John C. into putting a PHASE 4 unit on one of his dynos. :censored:

well from what i could tell (i only got to ride about a hour before dark and its raining today) they are a big improvement on what i had sent back,i was so excited to finally ride(my bikes been in peices for over a month!) that i didn't set the comp clickers! i'll check them today hopefully dave preset them. rebound was at 5 out with .48's,11mm preload(1-4mm spacer), 100mm 2.5 wt motorex,tubes up 5mm in clamps,and new seals from john curea(which are awesome btw) this was a lighter sprung setup than i usually use and it worked well, like thillsam and lew said i'd also agree this setup likes lighter springs(at least for offroad) bottoming was more controlled (smoother,even with lighter springs!), gone is the jackhammer effect and the balance seems perfect,i was riding in thawed out mud and was(surprisingly) able to keep a line even when it was outa control:thumbsup: like i said i did not hardly have enough time but we're going to a practice track fri and it looks like good weather:thumbsup: so far its looking good.

EDIT: got to ride a little more this afternoon, checked the comp; they were set at 7 out, ended up at 6 out reb and 8 out comp and it worked very well. there are some stutter bumps in my field that i don't even feel anymore and they are much better offroad,we'll see how they hold up at the track fri. i think your onto sumthin' with this setup dave.

ya buddy,

put them thru a little more offroad testing today:applause: whatever ya did dave :applause: everything is mud here and i never lost the front even though it feels a little high. its not using anywhere near as much stroke as it was before and its much smoother on the big hits. even the low speed obstacles are easier as it seems to use as much stroke needed when just crawling around(a definate plus for HS). interesting thing i've never noticed on any bike other than a 2 stroke is that there is enough valving resistance to bounce the whole bike up in the air (evenly) over small obstacles. like little jumps! before things like that just sent me for a loop. example; going fairly fast in 2nd i hit a hidden rock outcrop (at a angle even)that was about a foot tall, 1st reaction was this is gonna hurt but to my surprise the bike leaped up into a perfect jump! talk about shocked:crazy: it did it a couple more time later in testing and i definately love that feature:thumbsup: i'll post back after the mx track fri:ride:

well we practiced at the mx track that they are going to incorporate into our 1st race, and it turned out to be a outdoor supercross track! well they don't call me Bubba for a reason;ol'mtnman just don't get along to well with the gravitational forces at hand! anyway the forks performed flawlessy at the track,it was hardpack red clay that would usually pound me to death but it was surprisingly smooth. it was all good until i overshot a 40' tabletop, landing at the bottom of the downslope on the front wheel;well the superman move that ensued was definately Bubba style,so i guess i wreck as good as him! it was in no way shape or form due to the suspension,just my lack of SX experience. bike and myself are a little bruised but ok:thumbsup: i think (at least for me) this is the perfect balance between woods and MX:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Just looking at the original thread that got this whole thing going and realizing how much time and energy Bob put into getting the bugs worked out of this. You’re a legend my man!!

If anything, I think we really learned the importance of controlling the hydraulics at all the various stroke rates and distances that we encounter both on the trail and track.

With Chris Gall now doing some work on the fine-tuning stage of things, I think we'll be able to gather conclusions that will be applicable for all future fork designs. I sense his brain is about to overflow with information that will take us weeks to understand.

Tim - you're next!

We have come a long ways so thanks to everyone for all your help, input and time. :bonk:

a legend:rolleyes: :bonk: glad to be of service:thumbsup: you know looking back at the post where i endoed on the table top and didn't blame the forks i now can say that i was wrong and it was a case of those wallows bitin' me in the behind,because now that we've fixed that problem with the twin spring bv's i can land on the front wheel and it resists enough to settle the bike back down;i know for sure after going over that wreck in my mind i more than likely coulda saved it with the current setup....oh well, all part of bein' a testing legend:busted:

• 5 months later...

still here and kickin', the forks have been back and forth to dave for 'updates' a few times and every time they come back better:crazy: in fact they are going out today for the cartridge bleed mod:thumbsup: can't wait to see what that does...its supposed to free up the rebound and make thing smoother/more consistant.?

• 7 months later...

well i kinda gave up on the p4's as they never really could be dialed for the tight slow stuff but according to the other post dave seems to have come up with a happy medium for killerhiller:thumbsup: i'll see soon as he's FINALLY ? gonna send mine back:worthy: maybe they'll be so good i'll have to keep the ol'yz too!!