Sign in to follow this  

2000 F-150 or 1999 Dodge 1500

OK here I am looking at these 2 trucks, the one (Ford) having about 20K less miles but also about 3K more. I've done some research and from what I've found, they both seem to get about the same score out of owners reviews. The specs on both are pretty close as well, so it's a toss up. Someone here sell me on one or the other?????

I have a '97 F150 Lariat. It has 162k miles. It also has the 5.4L V8. I have been absolutely happy with it. I can get 17-18 mpg on the interstate and it is on the stock tranny, motor, everything. I really cant complain about anything on the truck. If you can find one with leather I would go for that one because it is a million times nicer to have leather in your truck.

In short, they are good trucks that will last you a long time.

and I have a Dodge ram 1500 that I bought new 140000 miles ago,and it's been so excellent that I fully expect I'll buy another Dodge if I'm ever in the market again.

any late model (well cared for) truck from either company will be fine.... that's probably the only way to decide...if you can determine what kind of life the thing had

IDK which way to try and steer you here. They both are very good trucks. I'm a true Mopar man at heart though. What style is the F-150? I've always had a thing for the flaresides. I looked for either a F-250 diesel newer than 01 with a 7.3L or a F-150 newer than that in a Flareside. This was about 2 and a half years ago and never found one so after a year of looking found my Dodge which at the time I loved. I ended up buying it and still have it. Dodge's seem to have a lot of common problems but then again so does Ford. Dodge is known for crappy automatic transmissions but you should hopefully be ok as long as it's maintained. Another big issue with the Dodge is that the dashboards seem to almost always crack and turn into a crappy looking dashboard that rattles. Some don't but I know a lot of guys on the Dodge forums I visit have had this happen. There is also the known issue of the Pleneum gasket going bad on the Dodges but you can get the M1 intake that cures this. I'm currently having a problem where the clip on the LSD in the rear end broke off on mine and after asking online about it seems like quite a few others have had this problem so I'm not alone. I need to fix it I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Other than those issues they are great trucks.

I'm not to familiar with a Ford as I don't own one. I know I've read several complaints about them spitting out spark plugs which is a major issue. I know they have several problems also just like Dodge I just haven't kept up with Fords so I can't comment on them. The 5.4L in my friends F-150 seems to be a little more powerful than the 5.9L in my Ram. I love my Ram but I've had several things go wrong with it but then again I have a few friends with Fords and they have all had several things go wrong with theirs also so it seems to even out.

I'd honestly pick out which one you think looks better or you like better and get it. If you can't do that I'd get whichever one is cheaper. Both are great trucks. I will say I love my Ram.

What motor does the Ram you are looking at have?

If you have any Ram specific questions just ask and I will try to answer them for you.

The RAM has the 5.2 which I prefer b/c the power difference between the 5.2 and 5.9 does not feel a whole lot different, but the tranny as I understand it will hold up better to the 5.2L. The Ford I think has the 4.8L and is listed as being short 10ponies from the RAM, but it's got the 5spd which I like and it's also got fewer miles. Which one do I think looks better, that's tough but I might say I like the Ford just a hare more, but that all depends on the day. I don't like the sound of the dash cracking thing though and I hate rattles. At this point it will most likely come down to which one I get the best price on. They are both really close in price though, we are going to crunch numbers for a while tomorrow and see where that takes me....

What's this about the Fords spitting plugs? You are saying plugs will just pop out of the block? If that's the case &%$#@!, I've never in my life heard of that happening on anything..!

I think a member on here had a problem with his wifes Ford Expedition or something. It wasn't the F-150 but the same motor and I've read about it on other forums. Yes the plug pops out. Some had just repaired them with a heli coil kit and others had taken it apart and had it done right.

As for the dash yes it is common for them to crack and I say rattle because my probably has 30 differn't cracks in it now and going down the road it will rattle everytime you hit a bump. Now you can't hear it with the radio on or the windows down of course that might be because of my exhaust and tires but you can hear it if you are just cruising along with the windows up and stereo off. Like you I hate rattles and this is one of my biggest complaints about this truck.

Now that you said something about it, my dash does rattle a little bit. However shortly after I noticed the rattle I got 4 Pioneer 6x8's and 2 JLaudio 10"s so I dont hear that anymore :mad:

I have a 2000 Ram 2500, with a HUGE hole in the dash. I opened the door the other day and more of it fell in!!!! Definitly a problem thats not worth dealing with. But it's up to you. I really wouldn't be any help cuz I love a dodge tranny, but love a ford motor (with the exception being a 318ci).

Well things went south at the dealer I was working with. They started dicking with me too much on both trucks so I told them to go piss in the wind....

The Ford small V-8 is a 4.6L, you want the 5.4L...the extra power outweighs any fuel savings.

I think a member on here had a problem with his wifes Ford Expedition or something. It wasn't the F-150 but the same motor and I've read about it on other forums. Yes the plug pops out. Some had just repaired them with a heli coil kit and others had taken it apart and had it done right.

Different heads IIRC - As far as I know thats only on the 3 valve triton heads, not the older models....

The dodge: Expect to fork out big $$ if you like A/C when the Evap core goes (and trust me, it probably will unless it's already been done) - it's like an 8 hour job to tear the dash out and it blows royally. For the engine, dodge motors are fairly solid aside from the usual maintenance issues. However, I know one problem that has plauged them on most the 4.7/5.2/5.9 motors is the lower intake gasket will leak internally and cause an internal vacuum leak - this leads to a high idle. It's like a 4-5 hour job to do, but not that bad

The Ford: Dunno, up here in the rust belt these gens of the f-150's don't seem to hold up - typically the exhaust manifolds rust to hell - bad. I've also seen some with head gasket issues because of the alum on steel, but they're few and far between. Number one thing I've seen on all these triton cammer motors is the timing chain will wear to the point where it will make noise....and it's a fairly large job to have done as well. The tune ups on them are a PITA, and since they're coil over plug there are eight coils - one for each cyl, and typically when one goes a couple more are on their way out.

IF you're buying either, don't plan to tow a ton of pay load - remember, they're 1500 trucks....and the dodges are known for weak trannies....the ford tends to be stout, but I've seen issues with that as well.

IF you're buying 4x4, I'd stick with the dodge for the simple fact that it's got a solid axle up front. Up until recently, SLA set ups have blown from the factory - which is what the Ford will have...torsion bars suck, and if you plan on actually using the truck off-road, they have alot more moving parts to wear/break. But, if you dont plan on using it off road much, you'd be fine with either....

These problems are common due in part to the "100k spark plug replacement" BS. The dissimilar metals of the aluminum heads and spark plug threads don't mix well, and begin to corrode together, and the entire threaded portion of the cylinder head comes out when the spark plug "pops" out. This is only exaggerated when the plugs are left in for extended periods.

This is actually quite common on all Triton motors, regardless of displacement or chassis that they are installed in.

The cure is actually quite simple-shorten the spark plug replacement intervals to 36k or so, and apply a light coating of anti-seize to the threads prior to installation.

i have a 2000 f150

I love the thing to death

plenty of power

5.4 liter engine is great

can't go wrong with either truck

i was raised on fords though :mad:

The Ford: Dunno, up here in the rust belt these gens of the f-150's don't seem to hold up - typically the exhaust manifolds rust to hell - bad. I've also seen some with head gasket issues because of the alum on steel, but they're few and far between. Number one thing I've seen on all these triton cammer motors is the timing chain will wear to the point where it will make noise....and it's a fairly large job to have done as well. The tune ups on them are a PITA, and since they're coil over plug there are eight coils - one for each cyl, and typically when one goes a couple more are on their way out.

I think the above quote is a little too general, yes there have been some spark plug issues, and yes not waiting until 100K does help, but more important is people have a tendancy to overtighten them, they don't need much more then "snug"

I work for a fleet that has over 1000 Ford Crown Vics, and they are the 4.6L, but they also have much in common with trucks and although we have lost a few timing chains(actually the plastic chain guides go first, that eats up the chains) on the other hand we have a lot with over 120K and running strong.

I am quite impressed with OHC motors...

Oh by the way, yes I'm a Ford guy in spite of buying a Titan...

I had a 2000 Ram 1500, I loved the looks and how it sounded. The engine 5.2 litre is a gutless fuel sucking pig with oddly spaced tranny ratios. It didn't matter if you beat this truck or babied it- the milage was always the same. Pretty well all the problems that were mentioned about this truck actually happened. AC went south, intake gasket leaked, heater core leaked, suspect tranny (did nothing about that). As pretty as they are I will never buy another Dodge product (unless it has a Cummins) again.

Ford. Dodges get terrible fuel economy. Unless you want a truck that cant pass a gas station, get the Ford.

Ive got a '99 Ford F-150 regular cab 8' bed 4x4 with a 5.4L V8. Its got 147,600 miles on it and still pulls 16 mpg on the highway and doesnt burn oil. It leaks a little oil between the block and head on the passenger side of the motor ('99-'02s had issues with bad headgaskets and I could get it fixed for about $1500, but IMO the truck is worth spending that much on to fix a minor issue).

Overall my Ford has been pretty good to me. I use it for general driving as well as hauling firewood, snowmobiles and dirtbikes. Ive had to fix some things on it, but it was all cheap fixes (brake pads, brake rotors, 1 ignition coil, 1 set of headlight bulbs), so I cant complain. Thus far, nothing major has failed (knock on wood).

i have a 2000 f150

I love the thing to death

plenty of power

5.4 liter engine is great

can't go wrong with either truck

i was raised on fords though :lol:

How many miles do you have on yours? I'm thinking of picking up a 2001 F150 v8 5.4 2wd that has 114k miles on it...