Sign in to follow this  

Removing Steering Head Races 06 YZ250

Picked up my new upper steering head bearing. As I was told in the other thread the replacement part is a better design than the original as it has a rubber seal at the top to prevent dust getting down into the rollers.

I've decided to replace the bearing race in the steering head as the new bearing came with one and in looking at the original (and giving it the fingernail test) I can see and feel some pitting where the dirt was.

I will be installing it tonight; but was wondering if anyone has replaced the race in the aluminum frame (05/06/07) yet and how difficult it is to tap it out??

I have used two different ways to get these out. The first was a 12 inch pin punch. I ground 1 side to look like a wedge. It worked very well.

The second way was odd. I was at a friends house and my punch was home. His wife had the "three horseshoe" thing above the door. We borrowed 1 of them .......

It ripped that race out like it was not even there. A slight tap was all it took.

We fixed our bearing, but people are slightly less welcome there now. His wife was PISSED at me for the horseshoe theft.

If these two ideas fail, try a dremel and a cut-off wheel. This is how we remove wheel bearing races after the bike was owned by a powerwashing freak.

I am going to try a long flat balde screw driver first, and start tapping it out. I ground the tip so its blunt (not sharp) and figured if I worked my way around it tapping it up from below I could walk it out (I hope).

I would really NOT like to go the dremel route if avoidable !!

Dremel is actually quite easy. Dont try to go all the way through the race. The cut off wheel is very easy to controll. It also sounds cool...like a visit to the dentist.

Grind 90% of the way through. Then pop it with your punch. Race will shatter.

I haven't put races in the aluminum frame but in the steel frame I used a punch and worked my way around it and the race came out pretty easy. Once I got the new race started back in I used the old race to get it seated in the frame.

If it doesn't want to come out a little heat (just hot to the touch) to the frame should help since the aluminum will expand quicker than the steel race. I doubt you will need to heat it up though.

I haven't put races in the aluminum frame but in the steel frame I used a punch and worked my way around it and the race came out pretty easy. Once I got the new race started back in I used the old race to get it seated in the frame.

If it doesn't want to come out a little heat (just hot to the touch) to the frame should help since the aluminum will expand quicker than the steel race. I doubt you will need to heat it up though.

I have a heat gun (used to shrink the plastic covering on RC model airplanes) so I may heat the outside of the head and put a baggy of ice on the race.

I also plan to put the new race in the freezer while I eat dinner then work on the old one.

When I replaced mine, the race was completely covered by the inside of the frame. We had to remove a slight amount of material to get something to push against. Then it popped right out. Definitely freeze the race and you should not need to heat up the head.

If you have a TIG welder you can run a line of weld around the inside of the race, when the weld cools it will shrink and pull the race inwards. It should just pop out now...

Check this tool out.

http://www.parktool.com/motorcycle/detail.asp?cat=80&item=RT--2

All this talk of heat/grinding/bashing/horseshoe! makes me cringe. Park tool also sells presses for installing the races and the bottom bearing.

A little pricey on the race press; but I am a tool nut so I have ordered both! I will let all know how they work.

Since I have my son's bike as well to maintain I figure in the long run it will be a good investment.

Thanks for the tip!!!!

When I replaced mine, the race was completely covered by the inside of the frame. We had to remove a slight amount of material to get something to push against. Then it popped right out. Definitely freeze the race and you should not need to heat up the head.

I am lucky; there is a lip all the way around.

If you have a TIG welder you can run a line of weld around the inside of the race, when the weld cools it will shrink and pull the race inwards. It should just pop out now...

I heard that as well; but don't have one.

Andy, I like that real tool for removing races. However, I soiled myself when I seen the price. For a once and a while mechanic, our ways will do it without damage.

The specialty tool for popping out the race is super nice and easy. I just used it last night. Well worth the bucks. I wish I could buy the tool to press the races back in but it's kind of pricey. Planning to make one with the old parts.

Not to threadjack but a question for you or anyone else, how do you normally remove the bearing on the triple clamp? I pressed the stem out of the clamp which removed the bearing and the stem from the clamp, then pressed the stem back in, then pressed the bearing on. It was easy and perfect but is there a more effiecient way?

A little pricey on the race press; but I am a tool nut so I have ordered both! I will let all know how they work.

Since I have my son's bike as well to maintain I figure in the long run it will be a good investment.

Thanks for the tip!!!!

Park has great stuff! (for both MX and MTB) I got their T-Handle set for X-Mas a couple years ago and it is top notch. As well, they have great customer service. Very knowledgeable folks.

Andy, I like that real tool for removing races. However, I soiled myself when I seen the proce. For a once and a while mechanic, our ways will do it without damage.

Me too. That's why I only bought these two. With how poorly the top seal seems to work it looks like it will be more than once in a while job.

http://www.parktool.com/motorcycle/detail.asp?cat=80&item=CRS-2M

http://www.parktool.com/motorcycle/detail.asp?cat=80&item=RT--2

and not this one which is overkill imo

http://www.parktool.com/motorcycle/detail.asp?cat=80&item=HHP--2M

To get the races into the head I throw them in the freezer then lightly tap them in with a dead blow mallet. They usually go in quite easily.

I think the top seal needs to be updated for the new aluminum frames. I seem to remeber it overlapping the top of the steering head on the old steel frames.