Sign in to follow this  

79 cent clutch fix

tonight I learned about the 79 cent clutch fix. I did a search for info but I still have some questions. Will it work for an 02 yz250f? What about my dads 00 yz426f? We both have a lot of trouble starting in gear and findings neutral. On our last ride my bike stalled shifting into first while idling. Does the new washer go between the current washer and the nut, or under both? isn't there a gasket that I will need to replace if I take the cover off?

Thanks

i had the same problems when i had the regular cable clutch on there, but as soon as i switched over to magura hydarulic clutch, i never had any problems. i can shift from neutral to first just fine, doesnt jump or stall anymore, never have problems finding neutral, and i can start my bike in gear just fine. i love my hydrauic clutch, best mod i put on by far

Washer fix worked for me...just put the washer on under what already on there if memory serves me.

The 79 cent mod works great on my 03 WR250.

I do have some YZ springs ready to go in there next time I have things appart.

First off the 00 426 needs the 02 clutch update parts:

5JG-16321-00-00 PLATE, FRICTION

5JG-16383-00-00 SPRING, CLUTCH BOSS

5JG-16384-00-00 PLATE, SEAT

Both are older bikes. usually having problems in first from neutral is from sticking clutch plates. When is the last time you have torn down the clutch? how about change the oil? IF the plates are stuck together, then removing them individually will make a temp fix. If you dont change the oil you are using you will continue to have issues. especially if you let them sit for long periods of time.

The clutch fix .79 washer is to put more pressure on the pressure plate to help them hook up. Not release which is what the problem is that you have

The neutral to first problem has only occurred once and is not the reason for me doing it. The reasons are both bikes have trouble finding neutral and starting in gear. We bought the bikes new(are beginners to maintenance and riding) and have never opened the clutch or changed the oil. How much would those parts u described cost? The problem really isn't all that bad that we would spend much $$ for it, but 79 cents seemed easy enough to try. Will the washers fix the starting in gear as this is the main annoyance.

I can start my 250f in gear after it has been warmed up. When it is warm it is doable but I don't do it...

A SS filter allows more oil flow, which means more oil for the clutch. Nore that you also get better filtration, and you not have a oil filter for life. It pays off in about 7 oil changes...

The clutch fix .79 washer is to put more pressure on the pressure plate to help them hook up. Not release which is what the problem is that you have

I am not sure if you are wrong or I am wrong. But how does putting washers INSIDE the spring help with hookup. I would see how putting a washer in front of the spring(therefore putting more pressure on the spring and pressure plate) would help with hookup. But I am not understanding how putting a washer inside the spring would help with hookup.

Probably on both bikes the baskets are grooved up. That will make it hard to shift.

the 426 clutch plates is under $20 for that 02 upgrade.

If you add a washer on ANY side of the clutch springs, you increase the preload. Much like forks. Do that, get more pressure in simple terms. How do you think the pressure plate works? it puts pressure on the clutch pack via the clutch springs.

basically the washer fix is a bandaid for stiffer springs the correct length. It will keep the clutch from slipping.

The bike shifts fine. Neutral just takes a couple of minutes to find. Most off all the problem is the bikes are difficult to start in gear. will a new basket fix this?

If you add a washer on ANY side of the clutch springs, you increase the preload. Much like forks. Do that, get more pressure in simple terms. How do you think the pressure plate works? it puts pressure on the clutch pack via the clutch springs.

basically the washer fix is a bandaid for stiffer springs the correct length. It will keep the clutch from slipping.

I don't think you understand. It goes INSIDE the spring. Just look at a clutch bolt. And put a M6 washer on it. You will see the diameter of it, isn't big enough to act like preload on spring.

yama02yz250f,

what kind of oil are you using? I had that problem when I used Maxima and I also had to do the 79 cent clutch fix. And it helped half the problem.

But once I switched to Rotella I never had a problem and since then I took out the washers.

so a stainless steel oil filter will help it start in gear better? This is the main problem I am trying to address and I was thinking of buying one anyways.

Yes, once the bike is warm, you will have no problem at all. I do it frequently since I ride track. When I lay the bike over, I'm not going to search for neutral when I can just pull in the clutch and kick it.

I think the only thing that's going to help out your problem with the neutral is to grind down the star wheel as shown in the FAQ. I didn't do it, it takes time to find neutral and you get used to it. I can find neutral now no problem now...

I used to use Castrol GTX, which made the bike ave a grabby clutch. I then installed a SS filter. The grabby clutch *When warm* went away. Similar to drilling the clutch boss to get more oil flow, the ss oil filter allows more oil flow.

Ok thanks a lot. Ill deffinatly get the oil filter for my bike. should I get[one for the 426 because it already has a stock steel oil filter I was told. I haven't changed the oil yet(thats due to be done after our next ride) but I will be usin yamalube.