Sign in to follow this  

If it's too loud, you're too old!

Well, I must be too old finally.

06' DRZ400SM-39mm "classic" FCR-Akrapovic Ti Evo full system, etc, etc.

I use it mostly for guerilla commuting into Washington DC. I wear the highest attenuation earplugs I can find (-33db) and I can tell it's pissing everyone off. I like being conspicuous, to the degree that I wear a Hi-viz yellow jacket, but being loud as hell 2 blocks away is getting tired.

It really began to bug me after I got a KTM 950 supermoto, which rips like a bastard, and it really quiet. The mufflers I have coming for it will be a little louder, but nothing like the Akra on the DRZ.

I'm interested in something a little less...ummm...loud. Has anyone ridden the FMF Q2 or Ti Q on a DRZ w/ a FCR? seeing as I have a 95hp 'moto now, I don't mind giving up a little hp on the DRZ.

Anyone have a Ti Q they want to swap for a perfect Akrapovic full system in it's original packaging?

I was gonna come in swingin with the "irresponsible, obnoxious, ruining it for the rest of us" line, but I'm glad to see you've got it under control.

I've used the Leo Vince off and on for noise restricted SM tracks and it's certainly quiet, but it does knock a few hp off the top end, doesn't seem to hurt the bottom though.

Motomoron, now that's funny.:p

Glad to see that your getting more mature in your, well, "blank" age.

Not me though. Loud and stupid all the way.:cheers: For now.

It really began to bug me after I got a KTM 950 supermoto, which rips like a bastard, and it really quiet.

So that 950 is good huh? Have you ridden the super enduro KTM?

If you want to get a stock E exhaust it will be quieter for sure. I run the FM Q2 and Powerbomb muffler. Its not too loud and passes park inspecttions on my S everytime (well both of them).

The FMF setup is nice and quiet but not as quiet as stock. It will be a little loss of power from a Yosh or something like it, but honestly I ride in the woods and with the FCR and that pipe setup it has enough power (with stock gearing) to get me out of almost anything.

Well it must be an age thing :bonk:

I ran my DRZ "loud and Proud" all the time I had it, but now :thumbsup:

I have been thinking that my FZ6 with uncorked Acropovic Ti cans is too loud for a while now.

It's fine for counry lanes, but around town :worthy: and a long run cruising at 70 or more it is painfull, it just drones on and on, gives me a headache.

So I fitted the baffles, downloaded the appropriate fuel map for the power commander and went for a ride, hated the lack of hp, but loved the stealth bit.

After a few weeks I removed the baffles and re-mapped, again.

Now 3 weeks later and I keep looking at the standard exhaust, it came with the bike, but I have never riden the bike with it on.

But when I have time it's going on the bike, I must be getting too old :thumbsup:

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::bonk:

Well it must be an age thing :bonk:

I ran my DRZ "loud and Proud" all the time I had it, but now :thumbsup:

I have been thinking that my FZ6 with uncorked Acropovic Ti cans is too loud for a while now.

It's fine for counry lanes, but around town :worthy: and a long run cruising at 70 or more it is painfull, it just drones on and on, gives me a headache.

So I fitted the baffles, downloaded the appropriate fuel map for the power commander and went for a ride, hated the lack of hp, but loved the stealth bit.

After a few weeks I removed the baffles and re-mapped, again.

Now 3 weeks later and I keep looking at the standard exhaust, it came with the bike, but I have never riden the bike with it on.

But when I have time it's going on the bike, I must be getting too old :thumbsup:

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::bonk:

I do own a DRZ too and live in the UK. My son has a stock 250X, with standard exhaust (nothing has been modified). God, it's loud. We do green-laning (byways) and very recently, isolated houses nearby have started to become pissed off at hearing ''us'' go by. Not only that, someone last week laid down obstacles on the track to prevent us from using it. It's starting to worry me a bit now.

That's with STANDARD exhausts. I wish I could make my son's 250X quieter, but it's not possible.

Noise offence, even when using the throttle with discretion.

I was gonna come in swingin with the "irresponsible, obnoxious, ruining it for the rest of us" line, but I'm glad to see you've got it under control.

I've used the Leo Vince off and on for noise restricted SM tracks and it's certainly quiet, but it does knock a few hp off the top end, doesn't seem to hurt the bottom though.

I hope you're just joking around with that comment...

For street use I could cut mine off at the header flange and my buddies Vulcan 800 would still be louder with V&H slashcuts and worn out packing. Maybe its just a regional thing, but around here you can hear the Harley's over 2 miles away...

We aren't the ones ruining it for anyone. :thumbsup:

We aren't the ones ruining it for anyone. :worthy:

Everybody with a loud pipe is ruining it for the rest.

The general public, all over the world hate motorcycles, or at the best they don't understand them.

Noise legislation has got tighter the world over, and it's because people hate excessive noise.

Now I like a nice sounding bike as much as anybody, but I hate cruisers with loud pipes, if you can't see them, it just sounds like all noise and no go.

And not far behind is the extra loud single (for the same reason), It's not as if you can even keep it sensible by moderating the throttle hand, a loud single is loud all the time, and stupid loud when on it.

Right I'll climb down from the soap box now, and go and sort out the little idiot on a "50cc scooter" who spends his life riding wheelies, up and down the little Close I live in, Oh and guess what, open expansion chamber, loud as hell and does 35 mph.

Neil. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Around 102 dcb I believe. I'm still in the loud camp... guess I'm getting younger.:thumbsup: Not sure I'd feel that way in a city or suburban environment, but most of the drivers around here have evolved from recently driving tractors and need non subtle reminders of your existence. It's also very windy here which somewhat dissipates the noise. I do agree however that Harleys are ridiculously loud.

My full muzzy uncorked would give me a headache on any trip over 2 hours but I never do that any way....earplugs do help. Harleys are the culprit, makes me feel better anyways!

We aren't the ones ruining it for anyone. :thumbsup:

YES YOU ARE!!!

Go to the OCALA N.F. and see how many trails and riding areas have been shut down. Harleys are on the street; Noise does matter there, but more so off-road and that's where the DRZ likes to be ridden most!

I think all exhaust systems should meet a minimum of 85db max tolerable noise. And anything that's not should be outlawed.

If you actually are following the ONF OHV riding area closures you'd know that noise levels have nothing to do with it. It's the destruction of the natural habitats and littering that are closing our riding areas. The guys in the forest are big on quads and those things destroy everything they see. Even out in the newly opened trails out near lake Delancy it only took a few weeks for the combined trails to be nothing but ruts and sugar sand and all but unrideable for anything with less than 4 wheels. There is a motorcycle only trail out there but it's still mostly sugar sand and I wasn't too impressed with it.

Not once have I heard anyone complaining about the noise. They don't do sound checks here so it's pretty much anything goes. It's about destruction.

Forgive me if I am wrong (although I wouldn't be writting this if I thought I was) the E and S mufflers are the same with the exception of the mounting points. The headers are different, the E is a little larger diameter, or at least that was the way they used to be.

Anyways, I think you would just want an E header with a slip-on system, or a full stock system period.

As for me, I like being loud, and making sure people can hear me if they don't want to open their eyes and see me.

If it where up to dukeryder screaming kids would be outlawed.

http://www.800nonoise.com/tutorial_noiselist.htm

This would be a good thing. If I have to deal with the world's screeching offspring, the world can deal with a few loud pipes. :thumbsup: The ratio of howling children to loud motorcycle exhausts far favors the inconsiderate rugrats. I would definitely support such legislature - fair is fair.:thumbsup:

(I actually have a stock pipe, and haven't had cause to alter my bike)