Best Street Tires

Well I guess I need to face reality and admit that my DR650 hasn't seen a lick of dirt in the 5500 miles it has on it. The stock tires are shot and i need something that has the best combonation of traction on the street and durability. What are the popular opinions for a good all around street tire that fits the stock 2006 rims?

Thanks,

Nathan

If you're sure you won't be doing any serious dirt or fast gravel roads then you could do a lot worse than Avon Super Venom rear and Roadrunner front. They stick like sportbike rubber. BT45's are also a good option as well. The Avons will let you ride your DR like a moders hypersport bike in the corners if you have the guts. GOBS of traction and quite cheap.

The Distanzias or Pirelli MT-60 Scorpions would be a good choice if you want to retain at least some loose dirt ability. They are more at home on hard pack and gravel than mud but at least they won't whimper if you show them dirt like the full on street rubber choices would do.

I've got a set of Pirelli Scorpion S/T's with about 300 miles on them. If you are fairly agressive on the street, these tires do a great job imho. The turn in on these compared to the Trailwings is much much better and they are very predictable in tight low speed turns as well as high speed sweepers. For $165 for both in factory stock sizes and free shipping from most internet sites, they are hard to beat. :cheers:

I loved my last set of Kendas but I sold that bike with only a few hundred miles on them. Any idea how many miles i can get out of the K657's? I got 5500 on the stock tires but the back is at the bottom of the tread now. I am not at all aggressive with them, just want to be sure they stick to the road with this wild Texas weather.

Thanks,

nathan

I've got a set of Pirelli Scorpion S/T's with a little over 10K on them. They handle great IMHO and wear really well. I've probably got about 2K left on the rear. Front looks brand new. They have seen a little off road action, but are worthless off-road. My buddies run Scorpion A/Ts on their dual sport bikes and really like them as well. I think they are an 80/20 where the ST is more like a 90/10 or even 95/5 (on/off road)

I'll be putting another set on when these wear out.

• 2 years later...

ive ridden sport bikes hard and am now getting into dual sport/supermoto bikes, so I only use tires that grip like a mother in the turns. The Avon Distanzias are comparable to Michilin pilots in the sportbike world. Their amazing. Ive heard good things about the pirelli scorpions but never used them. Distanzias will not disappoint on a dr650. Ive ridden them on the exact bike you have. never once cut loose on me.