IMS vs. Clarke vs. Acerbis '01 XR650R

For my 2001 XR650R

Searched around, and found some information, but I need a little more.

Looking at an after market tank, which works best? I plan to go with the red, and would like it to match the OEM color. I will be running a Scott's Damper, probably. Any clearance issues?

What range are you averaging with a 4.3 gal?

I have considered the seven gal behemoth from acerbis, though it looks too wide for my tastes. Though extra fuel is good, but adds weight. Yes I know you can run it low, so why not a smaller tank?

I've had natural colored tanks before, but I'm not racing so no need to check level, on the fly.

Pictures would be great!!!

Anxious to find out what the BRP heads are using, and what works.

Thanks,

Clarke:

The Clarke 4.3 has the best fit and finish of the aftermarket tanks. The color matches real well. The only drawback that the Clarke has is that it is a little wider through the middle than the IMS tank. The Clarke fuel tank also drops lower on the left side of the bike, thus the reserve volume of the tank is increased. It is a little more difficult to get to the choke lever with this tank.

IMS:

The IMS 4.6 is narrower through the midsection than the Clarke, but at the shrouds is about the same. The IMS is also a little taller, so if you are short and like to stand up alot, watch out for your two little friends.:cheers: The finish of the tank is more "raw" than the Clarke, however the plastic "blend" of the IMS seems a little more durable under race conditions (the plastic is also a little thicker). The IMS tank's (at least the 3.2) inserts for the fuel tank mounting brackets are also a smidge too far apart for the stock Honda tank brackets. The stock brackets fit fine when cold, but when the tank is full of fuel and expands a little, they will crack. You can either spend the money on the XR's Only billet mounts or slightly egg out the stock holes in the brackets with a dremel to allow for a little expansion room. If you're racing, the IMS 3.2 is narrower than the stock tank, at the expense of a height increase.

Acerbis:

I have not personally tried the Acerbis tank for the 650R, or even seen one. I will say though that I have not been impressed with past Acerbis tanks that I have seen. I have a friend of mine who has an Acerbis tank on his KTM 380MXC. That fuel cap leaks more gas than his bike uses!!! All of the Acerbis tanks that I have seen also have a small fuel filler hole. I can spill fuel out of my IMS tank from missing the hole or having the hose slip. I'd hate to think how much extra money BP can make off me having a smaller fill hole.

If you were even considering the Acerbis behemoth, I would go with the IMS 7.0 gallon instead.

As for range, my riding partner has had his Clarke 4.3 go BONE dry at 120 miles. This was doing a little dual-sport with some two-track thrown in. As you know, range has everything to do with your riding style. I can burn my IMS 3.2 dry in under 60 miles without even trying to hard in the desert, but I can run a stock tank to well over 70 when I am trail riding all day. I can take my younger brother out for a ride (with a KX250) and he'll be on fumes in 20 miles when he rides stupid. For a good desert ride, I would feel safe to say that 80-85 is a good representation of the range that you could get with a 4.3. But don't yell at me if you run out sooner!!

• Like 2

I have been extremely happy with my Clarke 4.3 Gallon tank. Excellent color match, excellent fit, super quick shipping. (it usually gets me around 120-140 miles per tank) although, I usually ride 90% of the time commuting to & from work on the street.

Racers use the IMS because they are thinner than the Clarke. The IMS tank is thinner than the stock tank! Easier seating/standing transition with the IMS. Especially as you can get the IMS in a 3.2 gallon and not the larger 4.3 Clarke. The 4.3 is typically overkill for a desert race.

hi there. I have an '01 as well and bought an IMS 4.6 gal tank in red. It looks awesome, fits perfect and has lasted a year of riding with no issues. For the record I also have on oversize IMS for my '01 CR500 and have had it for over two years with no issues. They both fit perfectly out of the box.

Just my two cents.

Dave Huxley

• 1 year later...
For my 2001 XR650R

Searched around, and found some information, but I need a little more.

Looking at an after market tank, which works best? I plan to go with the red, and would like it to match the OEM color. I will be running a Scott's Damper, probably. Any clearance issues?

What range are you averaging with a 4.3 gal?

I have considered the seven gal behemoth from acerbis, though it looks too wide for my tastes. Though extra fuel is good, but adds weight. Yes I know you can run it low, so why not a smaller tank?

I've had natural colored tanks before, but I'm not racing so no need to check level, on the fly.

Pictures would be great!!!

Anxious to find out what the BRP heads are using, and what works.

Thanks,

i have a clarke 4.3 and a a scotts damper that uses the oil fill mount. the tank does interfere with the mount just enough to be a pain in the ass. to change the oil i have to remove the tank.

• Like 1

I run the clarke 4.3gal tank and love it. The fit is great...I can take the tank off and reinstall it w/ absolutely no problem at all. It has a tight gas cap that doesn't spill gas out.

Lets see what else..... range...i think the most I got out of it was about 140 :banghead: ...when on the highway cruising @ 70-75mph w/ 15X45 gearing you get about 120 miles. thats about it. any other questions, ask away.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=51345

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=51202

eastreich has already covered most of this, but I'd have to disagree about Acerbis quality. I've got a 3.3 gallon tank on my WR250F and their 6.whatever for my 650R. The fit and finish on both is excellent.

I had an IMS 4.6 gallon tank and not I have a 3.2 gallon IMS tank. I think I'll end up buying a Clark 4.3 gallon tank to use most of the time. They seem like the best balance between size/shape and fuel capacity.

Here is a picture of my old bike with the Clarke 4.7 gallon tank. I loved it and couldn't do without because of the re jetted carb and the range it got with the stock tank which I could go through in 55 miles if I was heavy on the throttle!

I didn't ever noticed any side to side movement at all and I thought the fit and finish were great and was easy to install. Only down side was that I thought it made the bike a little more top heavy with all that fuel on top.

s5000175rh8.jpg

s5000175rh8.54542c89f8.jpg

I have the Acerbis 6 gallon, with Scotts damper, no clearance problem. I fitted the tank myself, it's pretty simple.

The Acerbis is popular with middle east riders, for longest range possible without using a fuel pump. And that was my reasoning as well - I just wanted max range. My research told me that any bigger would need a fuel pump.

I hear the fuel pumps are pretty reliable but I just wanted simplicity, from tank to carb with no complication.

I ride mostly in desert dunes / soft sand as well as beach and firmer sand tracks.

Handling feels fine to me even with tank full - I didn't really notice a big change when changing from original tank to Acerbis.

Some people have recommended using that fuel-tank foam 'foam' to reduce fuel slosh - used in race cars and aviation industry. But I haven't felt the effect of the fuel weight. But I don't have another bike to compare with.

On an XRR I'd recommend adding a fork brace when using a big tank. Just makes the front end a bit stiffer.

Somebody mentioned the width of the acerbis - I don't have a problem with that either, and it seems like pretty good radiator protection (there is a steel brace between the bottom "lobes" of the tank and the frame.

By the way I've crashed the bike more times than I can count in the desert, the tank is strong.

Pics of the Acerbis from different angles:

garage-2b.jpg

bike-desert-smaller2.jpg

bike.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

garage.jpg

IMG_0407b.jpg

IMG_0411b.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

• Like 1