Sign in to follow this  

repair Pipe

hello, I have a 95 yz250 with a FMF Pipe. after last trip I took a mean spill and dented up the pipe pretty bad. is there a way to pull the metal out so its smooth again?

thanks

look in the back of a old dirtrider magazine if you have one laying around because there are the small adds that offer pipe repair.

There are a couple of ways to do it. You can fill it with water and freeze it a couple of times. Don't plug the ends, and be careful because you can split the seem. Or, you can plug the ends and blow compressed air into one end while heating the dent. Last, if the dent is close to an opening, heat the dend and stick a dowel rod into the opening. Hit the dowel rod with a hammer to tap out the dent. Good luck.

I remember reading a post a couple of days ago which listed the parts needed to do it with compressed air, which I have never tried. I did try the other two which work.

do a search. you can make a compressed air set up for 5 $ bucks. The large end you can use a rubber expansion plug and the small end i used another expansion plug i just replace the hardware with an straight auto air valve with a nut on the end. Stick it in the hole and wrench it down. Mine held 70 psi. You only need about 10-15 PSI. And just use a small plumbing propane torch . thats it. The blue bottle works good. Heat it up put in the psi and tap the dent very lightly. it will work out.