Sign in to follow this  

Break in period?...

My buddy jus' got a new kx450f and I was wonderin' what the break in procedure should be.

I have an odometer on my 250 and actually took it easy for 100 miles or so, varying speeds, acceleration and load on the motor. I prolly went a lil overboard, but too much in this case is prolly a good thing.

1 tankful, 2 tanksful, change the oil after the first how many miles/tanks?

Need all opinions/advice please...

Thanx...

The best break-in for these bikes is to take it to the track or riding area, warm it up fully then a varied throttle from idle to 3/4 throttle for 20 minutes. Then let it cool down completely. Warm it back up and ride it like you stole it. The reasoning is to get the rings to create the best seal to the cylinder wall. I replaced the piston on my 06' at 60 hours only for a piece of mind and there was no issues other than a crappy piston pin. Hopefully Kawasaki fixed this problem with the 07's.

That sounds about right. I took mine out to the trails, but they were fast trails. I had alot of varying engine RPMs and engine loads. I also used alot of engine braking, too! After about 2.5 hours, we went back to refuel and eat & I changed my oil and filter also. I have a feeling that the suspension isn't quite broken in yet...at least the forks. They are still stiff and make that funny subtle "tent zipper" sound. Everyone reassured me that it's just the forks breaking in. We'll see. The shock feels broken in however. I can't wait to ride some more.

I forgot to add; don't wait too long to change that oil! When I did mine, it looked soupy. Really thin. I gave her a drink of Bel-Ray Thumper racing oil afterwards. Ya need to get all that crap outta there that will screw up his performance ASAP.

The suspension takes about 10-15 hours to fully break-in. After that set the sag between 98mm-104mm and play with the clickers to your liking.