07 WR250 AIS/GYTR Kit Installed this weekend

Took me a whole day to remove the AIS, remove the air box snorkel, install new jets from GYTR and a pro moto billet silent insert. The new jets included are a 165 main and a 90 leak. After reading through the jetting section I was concerned about how the bike would feel after completion. To my surprise the throttle seems very responsive. Was only able to ride the bike a few blocks but could tell that it was a big improvement to ths stock. Did not notice any of the bog people have complained about and the need to move to a richer leak (#40). I will need to do a full ride for a better review.

I have not yet cut the grey wire. I have mixed feeback on just how beneficial cutting the wire is. The majority of the peole here claim by its magic however I have heard that the performance gain is marginal but just allows for a slightly higher gain in rpm and is more suited for use with YZ cams. Any feedback on the grey wire would be apprpeciated.

I pulled my grey wire on 11/11/06, along with ais, muffler insert, and header pipe. The power is great. If you are concerned about the grey wire, grab it near the connector and pull it out rather than cut it. If you are not satisfied with the improvement you can put it back in. I am doing the #40 leak jet as soon as it gets too cold to ride in Connecticut.

which side of the connector or does it even matter ? with all those mods done at once it must be hard to attribute the gains to any one thing.

I guess in Northern California I may be able to get away with a 90 leak year round ? But boy it was quite a pain to get to the carb. After removing seat and tank I just unbolted and moved the subframe back a little and was then able to wiggle the carb back and forth to rejet (both needle and main,leak,fuel screw). Did not want to deal with removing the shock per the GYTR instructions.

The removal of the AIS device was easy (This is the GYTR AIS removal kit that you buy from your Yamaha Dealer). Removing of the AIS prevents any unnecessary popping that one may encounter on decel is what I have been told. I guess the logic here is so when you do rejet you can actually here what is happening as opposed to induced popping by a smog device. So removal is more of getting rid of the baggage than a performance gain. The needle and jets that come with the kit is where you will feel the gains. Along with the removal of Air box top insert and the inner baffle per the instuctions.

So what you are doing is letting the bike breathe better and rejjeting for that.

The hard part is access to the carb which requires at the least the removal of tank, seat, muffler and subframe. Is it woth it ? You bet !! Feels and sounds so much better.

This is the best way to get to know your bike. Will be easier the next time should I need to rejet. :cheers:

Sounds like a worthy mod. Gotta tell ya.....I'm dying right about now. I bought my son and myself new bikes for Christmas. An 06 WR250 for me and an 06 TTR125 for him. He doesn't know about it yet.....so I can't pull mine out of storage yet either! I'm doing mods here and there and get to ride it around the storage area a lap or two, but haven't put it in the dirt yet. I bought the JD jetting kit, so I guess while I've got the carb off I'll remove the AIS.

Anyone know anything about exhaust inserts for the TTR125?? I replaced my WR's with the PMB last night. Went from 95db to about 104db. A little louder than people said, but I could feel the difference. I want to change out some jets in my son's bike and do something about that exhaust without replacing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like a worthy mod. Gotta tell ya.....I'm dying right about now. I bought my son and myself new bikes for Christmas. An 06 WR250 for me and an 06 TTR125 for him. He doesn't know about it yet.....so I can't pull mine out of storage yet either! I'm doing mods here and there and get to ride it around the storage area a lap or two, but haven't put it in the dirt yet. I bought the JD jetting kit, so I guess while I've got the carb off I'll remove the AIS.

Anyone know anything about exhaust inserts for the TTR125?? I replaced my WR's with the PMB last night. Went from 95db to about 104db. A little louder than people said, but I could feel the difference. I want to change out some jets in my son's bike and do something about that exhaust without replacing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I installed this tip for my wife on her TTR125 and it sounds great and performance is somewhat better. Much throatier and solid. But I see they only have one left. Here is the URL:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Power-Tip-for-Yamaha-TT-R125-TTR-125-TTR125-Exhaust_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35596QQihZ008QQitemZ180006882857QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Sometimes it gets cropped in the post, so if the link does not work, please PM me and I will give you contact info. Regards.

You are a cool dad!:worthy: