snow!

well we just got about a foot or so of snow.... i went out riding in it a few times and my biggest problem is im always in a gear too high or low/revving insanely or lugging... i also hav problems gettin through depper areas... any tiups or help would be appreciated... by the way im usually riding fields/ditches and am on a kx 80.... thnx

Your in Canada. Get a sled!

There is no easy way, or specific technique, to riding in the snow. I usually spend a lot of time breaking through drifts using the pin it, fly over the bars, and dig it out method. When I am in the right mood and with the right buddies, this can entertain us all day long. If I am out at the motocross track, I go out with my truck first, throw it in 4wd and break the drifts open that way. When all else fails, I park the bike and get on my snowmobile.

Trade one of the sleds for a couch (aka 4-wheeler)!

Or dedicate one of your sleds as a "rock" sled, and have a whole lot of extra hyfax laying around. And maybe a spare ski or two.

I bought a new sled this year, but I'm keeping the old one to bounce of the rocks until there is a little more snow.

Not that they're gonna help you in deep snow, but you should invest in some Trelleborgs if you don't have them already. I'm getting mine put on this week here and can't wait to go out and try them on. Tried them last winter on my friends bike, and its fantastic traction on permafrost, packed snow and icy trails. :cheers:

Cheers,

Trelleborgs? Forgive me but I'm not a snowmobile guy.

Trelleborgs are the wonderful tires from our Scandanvian friends across the pond. They have a rubber compound that is specifically developed for use in very low temperature and snow applications. You can also get them with ice studs already installed in the tire (no screwing in carbide v-tipped screws like I have to do).

http://winterstuds.com/Merchant4/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=10-27264&Category_Code=T

Aren't they pretty?!

Trelleborgs are the wonderful tires from our Scandanvian friends across the pond. (no screwing in carbide v-tipped screws like I have to do).

http://winterstuds.com/Merchant4/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=10-27264&Category_Code=T

Aren't they pretty?!

Ok, I gotcha now. I've done the sheet metal screws into the knobbies trick before also. They didn't last long (about one ride) and neither did the tire. It was ok though the tire was just about shot. The "screw experiment" finished the job. The experiment was for wet grass and leaf covered trails though. In the end it wasn't worth it.

Nice tire! Just not enough snow around here to get a tire like that.

Has anyone seen the snow bike yet? The rear wheel and swing arm is replaced with a rubber track contraption about 6in wide or so and about 3ft longer out the back. An optional ski can be mounted on the front forks. I'll have to search the internet for it again. That is what I was thinking when Trelleborg was mentioned above.

Trelleborgs are the wonderful tires from our Scandanvian friends across the pond. They have a rubber compound that is specifically developed for use in very low temperature and snow applications. You can also get them with ice studs already installed in the tire (no screwing in carbide v-tipped screws like I have to do).

Aren't they pretty?!

Beautiful! But shouldn't they be plated with gold or someting at $240 a pop? Geez louise. :cheers: