How to setup my suspension

Hi I bought an 02 rm125 about 2 months ago and love it. I am a complete newbie to bikes however and would like to know what I should do to the suspension that I can do myself to make it more suitable for my weight(73 kg or about 160lbs), I don't know much about bikes- I can change oil, air filter, lube chain etc. basic mainteneance, but i would like to know what I should do to a new to me bike's suspension

thanks BuLlY

Hi I bought an 02 rm125 about 2 months ago and love it. I am a complete newbie to bikes however and would like to know what I should do to the suspension that I can do myself to make it more suitable for my weight(73 kg or about 160lbs), I don't know much about bikes- I can change oil, air filter, lube chain etc. basic mainteneance, but i would like to know what I should do to a new to me bike's suspension

thanks BuLlY

http://www.motpowervideo.com has DVD's that show you how to setup and maintain your suspension. This includes changing the fluid, fork seals, and making shim adjustments. The shock DVD covers setting the sag too which is important to set up correctly.

If you plan on riding at different altitudes and temperatures, you may benefit from the Carb tune up DVD. It shows you how to diagnose and tune your carb.

And if your clutch isn't working well, there is a DVD that shows you how to inpspect and install a clutch.

Good luck and welcome to TT.

anyone else have some tips .. I don't really want to buy a video

This is what "we" have been responding to. He doesn't want to spend any money to buy a DVD that not only explains how but gives you " moving pictures"...

I don't know how he could learn any easier?:cheers:

Cut him some slack. He lives Down Under and it would take for ever for that DVD to get and cost him3x-4x as much as it would in the state. Also maybe he can't afford it.

Take your HEART out of your pocket book for once and put it back where it belongs!

theDogger

well thanks for all your smart arse comments :cheers: I'm sorry If i don't feel like going out and buying a dvd if I thought i could get some tips for free. I asked this question on another website and got a great link that has lots of tips that helped me alot.

Thanks Dogger you are right it is a big hassle buying A dvd and getting it shipped here and the link didn't work any way, I looked for dvds around here and couldn't find one so I thought someone might just help me out for free before I spend money.

So if any one else happens to have some good advice or links to other websites I would still like to get some more info before I go for a ride this weekend.

First off set up your sag, on your rear shock. I think its about three inches from when the bike is on the stand, to when your setting on it. The best way I've found to set up the suspension is try two clicks on rebound, ride alittle, then try another set up and see which i like. Just keep changing your clicker adjustments to find what you like.:cheers:

Tips on suspension setup are pretty basic. Set the sag in the rear. Your Race Sag should be roughly 100mm. Race sag is the measurement of how far the bike sags with you, fully geared up drops when you sit on the bike in a riding position with your feet on the pegs. Normally it takes two people to do it properly if you dont have a specific sag tool. A tape measure is all you need. At 160 pounds, youre right where the bike is normally set from the factory. So you shouldnt "need" springs unless somebodys changed them out previously.

The one thing that will probably do the most good for you is to make sure the suspension isnt worn out. Trying to tune worn out suspension is a big fat pain in the ass that will get you nowhere fast.