Sign in to follow this  

what to buy drz400sm or e? need advice

Hi there guys

I need some advice

Been riding a yz125 mostly and enjoy trial rides through the plantations in our area......here in south africa we get the sm and e models......i really like the sm's look......wondered what its offroad capabilities are with possibly different tires......really looking for a good value for money dual porpose bike...also will often have a pillion rider....the sm does have the pillion foot pegs....dont wanna lose the trial riding though.....

Please i need some advice....

Would i be able to do offroad riding with the sm????

Hi there guys

I need some advice

Been riding a yz125 mostly and enjoy trial rides through the plantations in our area......here in south africa we get the sm and e models......i really like the sm's look......wondered what its offroad capabilities are with possibly different tires......really looking for a good value for money dual porpose bike...also will often have a pillion rider....the sm does have the pillion foot pegs....dont wanna lose the trial riding though.....

Please i need some advice....

Would i be able to do offroad riding with the sm????

The E has a more powerful engine setup, same CC though. The SM will have a full rear subframe under the rear fender... and the foot pegs.

Of course you can offroad a SM. Will it be as much fun, of course NOT. The E is 30lbs lighter, better carb, cams. I would get the E & let the pass. hang there legs out, like in the old days.:cheers:

I set up my SM's engine to "E" specs and put on some Pirelli MT60r's. I was able to hang with my friends on full MX bikes when we hit the trail.

I set up my SM's engine to "E" specs and put on some Pirelli MT60r's. I was able to hang with my friends on full MX bikes when we hit the trail.

How do you like those shoes?

I love them, they are a great winter street tire. Very light compared to sportbike tires. I road the trails at a place called Hollister Hills with them no problems in the dry.

The US SM is less powerful than the US E version.

HOWEVER this is not true in lots of other countries (SM is 40HP in Europe / S is 40 HP in Australia etc.)

Check the specs with your local dealer/importer to be sure.

Not sure about using the SM offroad with the 17 rims but I have seen people put a set of 21 and 18 dirt wheels on it :cheers:

I ride the 400e, however I would get the bike to do what I want to do and not buy one to fit the exception. Riding with a passenger will not only be rare, but not much fun.

I ride the 400e, however I would get the bike to do what I want to do and not buy one to fit the exception. Riding with a passenger will not only be rare, but not much fun.

:p I find that having chicks ride as passengers is more fun then riding alone. Especially when we stop for a break :cheers:

Where are you going to do most of your riding?

I live in Northern Ireland.

We have NO public access trail rides, ie, you can only ride off road if you own the land, or get special permission from the likes of the Forestry service, which given the insurance nazis, isnt terribly forthcoming.

My riding is all road, much of it the type of narrow, twisty lanes that you only find in Ireland, and for which the SM was born.

having said that, after farmer Murphy has spread 6 inches of cow shit all over the road, you`d almost be as well riding an S or E.

My understanding is, the european SM and E have the same power.

Getting an E in the UK [including NI] is pointless as you are very unlikely to get insurance to ride the thing on the road.

Mostly road riding?

Get the SM , or get an S/E and an SM conversion..

Most trail...get the S or E.

Hi there guys

thanx for all the advice

think i will go with the sm with those pirelli tires for going offroad

here in south africa we have many trails and many farms we can ride on.....which is really cool

will be taking chicks for rides....which might make the sm the best bet

gonna be doing lotsa on road riding....think i have basically decided on the sm

just wanted to know what her offroad capabilities were...think those pirellis will do the trick

damn its cool when here thong shows when she is riding pillion seat

thanx