Baldwin - Little Manistee trail ride report

My buddy & I left Peacock motosports at 11:00am Saturday and rode the ORV trail to Lincoln hills and back. Logged in about 55 miles total. The ORV trail must have been groomed within the last day or so, because it was so smooth, no ruts or whoops, and no other tracks. If was fun to haul-ass and bust through the corners in a fish-tail 4th gear powerslide. We passed two quad-tards and a group of 3 riders on old-school three-wheelers. Saw no-one else the whole day, except a few hunters waiting to get back at their deer blinds. We were back to Peacock by 2:00pm. Weather was about 42 degrees and cloudy.

We saw some snowpiles along highway 10 near Reed City on our way back to US131. Must have been remanents from the 6" of snow that fell last weekend.

I have never had a problem with the hunters. We stopped and talked to a hunter who was loading a six point buck onto his truck near the 7 mile staging area. He said most hunters do not even hunt during the mid-morning noon-time because they go back to camp and eat/sleep/drink. And a lot of hunters even ride the trails with their work quads during the afternoon on the way to their hunting blinds.

I have a place near Irons and a lot of friends that hunt there, would have to agree that from 11-3 is probably safe...but there are always those few die hard guys out there you might run into..man..just not worth it too me. One stray shot at a moving deer. especially if the hunter is not sure where the trail is 'cause he came in from the back side, or a deflection..or just some angry drunk guy. no thanks.