WR250F V. YZ250F (or "which should I get")

Soul Man

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 04 wr250f and am switching to an 06 yz250f for mostly woods riding. After riding a yzf my wr feels like a boat. I hate to give up the button, but 250s aren't to hard to kick. I'll probably have to work on the power of the 250f at the real slow tight speeds. Riding in 2nd and 3rd though the power and lighter weight make up for less low end.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgetting that the YZ250F is lighter on the scales, does it feel like it carries its weight lower than the WR? Personally i think it would because it is minus a battery and other assorted accessories, but just wanted to hear it from those that have ridden both. Im guessing the YZ250F would still have the same "sitting on" rather than "sitting in" feel that i find with the wr250F.

Comments?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had my first ride on my new to me o6 250f in tight woods, I have to say there is no going back to my 04 wr250 I had. The biggest difference is the throttle response and increased acceleration when nailing it out of a corner with a little room. It is so much easier to flip from side to side also. I did have the clutch in a little more in 1st gear situations, but I may not even gear it down. The suspension did make my arms sore, which the wr never did. I may be in for a re-valve.

hmm.... a tough decision indeed... it all depends on HOW u ride as opposed to where... if u want to do ANY type of racing, id say go with the YZ...? if u want to do ONLY trails then go with the WR. i have an 06 yz250f and i ride trails 90 percent of the time. Of course, the difference is that i ride it very aggressively and therefore use it more like a race bike... ive ridden an 04 wr250f and the suspension was WAYYYY stiffer than my yz... im in LOVE with my suspension...:ride: anyway, the power? the wr definitely has som epower but i like the hard hitting aggressiveness of my yz. Although u can use the free mods to make the wr more powerful. About the light on the wr: unless ur into night racing or driving on street, u dont need it and its basically just added weight to ur bike. On my YZ it might be nice to have the heavier flywheel, but it is nice to have the light one sometimes cuz im able to just gas it and fly. the only flaw i see with the yz is that it does not have an e-start. my dad has the tt-r250 and i would maybe crash goin up so crazy ass hill and be kickin it and start it up again then he would ride up and stall or crash and just press that little grey button and continue....:applause: try them both before u buy one because they are both amazing bikes. good luck though in making ur decision :censored:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same pradicament, I have a 2000 YZ125 and and 2005 WR450. Initally, i got the 450 because most of my riding was trails/commuting. Due to differnent working hours, I only use one or the other over the weekends, and never for commuting any more. The idea is to sell both bikes and get a replacement along the lines of the new KTM offroad models. However I just like the yammies. I'm more of a small bore pilot (being a short@@"") so I was hoping to: Buy a WR250F, and basically split it into two roles either motocross or enduro. I do 80% enduro, and 20% really playing on the local track. Mods were: all the free mods, although may not adjust timing yet - see how that goes! Get suspension lowered and valved for a slightly more aggressive midway - a compromise I know, and hopefully be able to just move to preset klicker settings.

Preferably two sets of rims, one with MotoX and one with enduro tyres.

And two sets of plastics - one WR and hopefully just change out headlight mount and rear fender for motoX. I'm trying to find some multipin connectors also which will allow quick disconnect of the front and rear lights. The rest of the stuff kickstand etc will be swapped out as well. Just a few questions:

Is the cam timing change still applicable on the 05's, and how does it effect the reliability of the engine (not concerned about increased mtce just overall life)?

Has anyone fiited a toggle switch on the grey wire?

Will the electrics of the bike suffer from having the lights etc open CCT?

Is there a 'half way house' fly wheel available to try and meet a compromise in acceleration/stalling?

Thanks

Is the cam timing change still applicable on the 05's, and how does it effect the reliability of the engine (not concerned about increased mtce just overall life)?

NO. The auto decompression gets messed up. You can swap a YZ cam for the WR cam, but changing a tooth doesn't apply.

Has anyone fiited a toggle switch on the grey wire?

I did (sort of) with a quick connect. Couldn't tell a big difference either way. Cut the wire and be done with it, nobody ever reconnects it.

get the yzf for the trails and add a heavier fly wheel. my 06 starts right up if it stalls out which never happens any more becuase of the fly wheel and they have hot starts for a reason. its light enough where goin thru tight trails is no trouble at all. ive ridden bikes w/ electric start and its really un needed weight in my opinion unless you stall out on a hill climb.

Are the valves more durable compared to the CRF-X. Some claim the CRF-X needs constant valve adjustments/replacement. I also am looking at a new four-stroke dirt bike, but this high-maintenance/reliability issue is pushing me towards a 2-stroke (a.k.a. KTM). The dealers won't answer my questions willingly and the magazines don't seem to cover this issue in depth. Maybe I missed that issue and it was clearly covered years ago when I wasn't paying attention.

alright guys- havin a really hard desicion here. i do both, track and trail. proboly 60% track and 40% trail but i a m having a hard desicion. the e start sounds sweet, but the extra weight doesnt. im 14 5,6 and weigh 180, so im not a light rider but i ride faster trails so stalling is not to much of a problem. thanks