Soul Man

WR250F V. YZ250F (or "which should I get")

21 hours ago, oovula said:

What tires?  Do you like them?

In my 60 years I’ve tried them all. Loved the Dunlop 756 but no longer available only as NOS. This bike came with Dunlop MX3 and if my impression after 3 tanks holds that’s all it will ever have. I just flat out don’t have the time to try and improve on how well this bike fits me. DT

Posted (edited)
On 1/27/2018 at 5:08 PM, Torchsport said:

Looked at a '18 YZ250FX today. On sale for $7,399. Hmmmm....

GET Either.  (That is a pretty good price)
I have a 2017 WR250F (with comp kit of course) and LOVE IT. I am 54 and have had several motocross bikes but haven't raced since I was in highschool. 

Never had a bike fit me so well it is perfect for someone 6'2" 170 w/o any changes except Comp kit. I added some brush hand guards and that is it.

Ring Ding Ding  mentioned a trail Honda CRF250X and while they are nice if you have ridden a lot get one of the Yamahas. The Yamahas are very fast and very capable like a motocross bike.  Like he said the Yamaha is a bit tall, mine sits prob 2" less while sitting on it (now after riding for almost a year). The honda may be a bit shorter. 

For my $$ and mostly trail with a possible Cross Country race here and there I couldn't ask for better than the 17 WR250F. 

BTW Moderator should lock this thread and start a new thread for WR250F and FX 2014 and up as they are completely different than the older models.
New people who do not know will read 90% of the thread and think all WR's suck. 

WR250F-RedRiver.PNG.7fd165b550e9c34a8f607c35b3ad972f.PNG

WR250Fmuddy.PNG

Edited by DeanGuilberry
  • Like 3

On 2/2/2018 at 10:20 AM, plantguy said:

I just picked up a 18 250fx. AWESOME bike! Do it, you wont be disappointed. DT

IMG_4751.JPG

Talked me into it. Lol.

Just bought one. They are going to have it assembled for me by next week. 

Woohoo!

• Like 2

On 3/8/2018 at 0:29 AM, DeanGuilberry said:

I have a 2017 WR250F (with comp kit of course) and LOVE IT. I am 54 and have had several motocross bikes but haven't raced since I was in highschool. 

Never had a bike fit me so well it is perfect for someone 6'2" 170 w/o any changes except Comp kit. I added some brush hand guards and that is it.

Ring Ding Ding  mentioned a trail Honda CRF250X and while they are nice if you have ridden a lot get one of the Yamahas. The Yamahas are very fast and very capable like a motocross bike.  Like he said the Yamaha is a bit tall, mine sits prob 2" less while sitting on it (now after riding for almost a year). The honda may be a bit shorter. 

For my $$ and mostly trail with a possible Cross Country race here and there I couldn't ask for better than the 17 WR250F. 

BTW Moderator should lock this thread and start a new thread for WR250F and FX 2014 and up as they are completely different than the older models.

WR250Fmuddy.PNG

Yeah these bikes are race ready with the comp ecu kit and an exhaust. Nothing like the old carbed wr's 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 6:29 PM, DeanGuilberry said:

WR250Fmuddy.PNG

Dean, What kind of maps are you having good luck with? Just picked up a lightly used '17 and have Comp. ECU and FMF can. Loving it so far. Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NPWR250 said:

Dean, What kind of maps are you having good luck with? Just picked up a lightly used '17 and have Comp. ECU and FMF can. Loving it so far. Thanks

Honestly I have the orig ECU map that comes with the Comp Kit.
I followed the instructions in the Comp Kit for the ECO and throttle, exhaust and air box mods and that is it. Someday I will get the ECU programmer but for now I am just the standard mapping that is on Comp Kit ECU. 

On 4/1/2018 at 5:00 AM, Robt85 said:

Yeah these bikes are race ready with the comp ecu kit and an exhaust. Nothing like the old carbed wr's 

The WR in this video is fuel injected. no carb.
I much prefer the Fuel Injection after having had both. 

I'm in the market for a 250f.  Riding offroad in WA, OR, ID, BC.  no plans for track.  5'8 200lb intermediate rider.  obvious choice would be a WRF.  however I want to go efi and there don't seem to be many of those available.  '14+ YZ's are $4k+ used and new 2016 leftovers just under $6k.  hard to find any WRF's for that.  A buddy of mine rides an efi YZ250F and loves it.  I'd most likely be dual sporting it with an aftermarket lighting coil and minimal kit, and some of the woods riding type mods.  concerns for the YZ would mainly be in the trans ratios and suspension valving.  what's a comfortable(ahem) cruising speed in high gear on one?  55ish mph?  Also going used on a 250F is a crapshoot.  what kind of hours would you like to see on a used YZ250F to make it worth going that route over forking out for an NOS bike?

Does anyone has experience riding FX's and the newer 250f's? 

Dealer said that the '18 wr250f isn't that much different than the FX once you tune it, (besides some obviously weight due to DOT stuff) I wanted to get an FX, but having a plated bike in Colorado just makes life easy, and if the difference is say 10-15% id probably end up going with WRF. 

Thoughts? thanks

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Michael Gerpe said:

Does anyone has experience riding FX's and the newer 250f's? 

Dealer said that the '18 wr250f isn't that much different than the FX once you tune it, (besides some obviously weight due to DOT stuff) I wanted to get an FX, but having a plated bike in Colorado just makes life easy, and if the difference is say 10-15% id probably end up going with WRF. 

Thoughts? thanks

I think you are confusing the WR250R and the WR250F. The WR250F has no DOT stuff on it and is not close to street legal. It is an yx250FX with a headlight, taillight, restricted Computer, a baffle in the muffler and a air box intake restrictor and half throttle stop. all of which can be fixed for just over $120.00 with the Yamaha competition kit. 
The WR250F does have a headlight and taillight but no brake light or blinkers horn etc. tires are not DOT, no mirrors. just a dirt bike. 

I have a 2017 WR250F and my riding buddy has a 2017 WR250R. Other than color they are not similar at all.
If you want a FX with a headlight get the WR. If you want street legal you can convert the WR250F to street but that would be a shame!

BTW the WR250R is a very capable machine for street legal, it is not MX bike with headlights like the WR250F. (i have ridden the WR250R quite a bit and it is pretty capable for sure.)

I Summary
If you want a rocket fast enduro dirt bike capable of racing get the WR250F or YZ250FX.
If you want a very good trail bike that is street legal get the WR250R.  

Pic:
R closer to camera and F in back. 

WR250fandR.JPG

Edited by DeanGuilberry
  • Like 2

Hey thanks for the response, was def talking about a wr250f, since it came with a head light and break light, i could get it plated pretty easily in Colorado with a few add ons, vs the FX, which would need more. I was thinking plating an FX might not be worth it, due to adding all that weight would would kinda defeat its form factor vs the WRF. 

I guess at the end of i was trying to figure out if i should buy a used FX and never plating it, or having a WRF and plating it and what the overall performance difference between the two would be. 

Now im thinking, just get an FX, no plates, and be done with it. 

thx

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Michael Gerpe said:

Hey thanks for the response, was def talking about a wr250f, since it came with a head light and break light, i could get it plated pretty easily in Colorado with a few add ons, vs the FX, which would need more. I was thinking plating an FX might not be worth it, due to adding all that weight would would kinda defeat its form factor vs the WRF. 

I guess at the end of i was trying to figure out if i should buy a used FX and never plating it, or having a WRF and plating it and what the overall performance difference between the two would be. 

Now im thinking, just get an FX, no plates, and be done with it. 

thx

While the WR250F does have a head and tail light it does not have a brake light or low beam/high beam headlamp. Also they do not like to go steady speed. It will at higher speeds but going slower they want to GO or slow down def a performance motor. The few times I have just ridden it on the road it is a bit annoying I want to go and so does it! 
Could be retro fixed for street and prob pretty easy with a micro switch or two and led or three. I have thought about it for the connector roads in Colorado you have to be DOT legal to go between trails. But I will never do it as I ride all of the time here in Tx and don't want the extra weight. 
You will love either! Mine fits me perfect  no adjustment needed I am 6'2" 165#

Edited by DeanGuilberry

23 minutes ago, DeanGuilberry said:

While the WR250F does have a head and tail light it does not have a brake light or low beam/high beam headlamp. Also they do not like to go steady speed. It will at higher speeds but going slower they want to GO or slow down def a performance motor. The few times I have just ridden it on the road it is a bit annoying I want to go and so does it! 
Could be retro fixed for street and prob pretty easy with a micro switch or two and led or three. I have thought about it for the connector roads in Colorado you have to be DOT legal to go between trails. But I will never do it as I ride all of the time here in Tx and don't want the extra weight. 
You will love either! Mine fits me perfect  no adjustment needed I am 6'2" 165#

oh yeah not trying to make this a DS or daily driver, just to connect trails, and ride on dirt that is not approved for OHV but you can ride on with plates, which there is a lot of. I have a plated 350 now and know the struggle of riding on pavement, even if just for a few miles. 

• Like 1

I had pretty much decided to get a 250FX this winter then started thinking about the WR....

motor wise a wash....once uncorked

suspension.....little softer on the WR

Lights and spark arrestor needed in Alberta to ride crown land...

The lights,sparky,and computer lean me toward the WR

However I will be doing a lot of Harescramble and some moto track and endurocross.....probably just as much as singletrack.

Then I lean towards the FX.....10lbs less weight is nice too

I can mount cheap mountain bike lights on the FX to make it sorta "legal" for government land.....get an end cap to take care of the sparky....

Im about 195lbs with gear....id probably have to do something with the WRs suspension....

Not a whole lot of leftover WRs around, and I would like the 18 just for the improvements they made.

Still a few 17 FXs left around and even more 18s....so availability goes to the FX.

Chances are once the surgeon gives me good news Ill start to seriously hunt for a bike....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, madatter said:

I had pretty much decided to get a 250FX this winter then started thinking about the WR....

motor wise a wash....once uncorked

suspension.....little softer on the WR

Lights and spark arrestor needed in Alberta to ride crown land...

The lights,sparky,and computer lean me toward the WR

However I will be doing a lot of Harescramble and some moto track and endurocross.....probably just as much as singletrack.

Then I lean towards the FX.....10lbs less weight is nice too

I can mount cheap mountain bike lights on the FX to make it sorta "legal" for government land.....get an end cap to take care of the sparky....

Im about 195lbs with gear....id probably have to do something with the WRs suspension....

Not a whole lot of leftover WRs around, and I would like the 18 just for the improvements they made.

Still a few 17 FXs left around and even more 18s....so availability goes to the FX.

Chances are once the surgeon gives me good news Ill start to seriously hunt for a bike....

I went round and round with this before I got my 17 WR250F. I decided on the WR over the FX due to the main reason I was spending the extra $$ for a new bike was I don't mind working on my rides but I would rather ride them. Didn't want to start out with a brand new bike and have to do a bunch of mods. The competition kit only takes 30 minutes to install and lets the motor break in easy if you wait a ride or two to install it. .

My riding buddy has a WR250R and street legal with lights etc. I thought about if we got off in forrest late or lost, had a flat and had to ride out slow etc and it got dark. not good. Also my wife has a Polaris RZR 1000 and it is lighted and we may do some after dark riding. 

I didn't want to start "Rigging" things on a new motorcycle so I just went with the clean look of the WR. 

I am 6'2" and  170 pounds no gear and  the only time I would need stiffer suspension is if I actually raced it motocross. I have been to a couple Moto tracks and have jumped some good air w/o issues. The only time I bottomed out was on a short but tall table top where I kept over shooting the landing and coming down on flat ground.  Even then it wasn't bad at all.  I do 99% Cross Country. 
I love this motorcycle. never ridden something off the showroom floor that fit me better. The suspension is incredible IMO . 
In summary I would go with the FX if your
Harescramble races have bigger jumps and the WR if you're races are more cross country high speed and not as many big air hard landing jumps. 
If you go FX there are some LED light conversions for the WR that would be pretty easy to add to the FX. About $350 but good bright light and light weight. Look on Rocky Mountain atv/mc 

Edited by DeanGuilberry

The lighting on the FX would be a legality issue.....nothing else

I have in the past gotten away with the mountain bike lighting.

The need for them operationally for night riding is slim to nill....20 years of off roading and never needed the lights to get back to camp, but you never know.

Chances are it will come down to availability and the deals to be had on each bike.

If an 17 FX is 1k cheaper its a no brainer for me, The 17 and 18 FX are pretty much same, I'd be looking at the 18 WR just for the improvements they made.

Closed course I don't have to do anything to the FX but get on and ride(well after putting on decent handguards anyway).

WR needs Comp kit,FX needs S/A,lights(Id be doing cheap route) and Id probably throw the fan in.

Both need rad supports and decent handguards.

There are used Fx's coming up,no WRs

Yeah Im leaning FX

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 10:15 PM, madatter said:

The lighting on the FX would be a legality issue.....nothing else

I have in the past gotten away with the mountain bike lighting.

The need for them operationally for night riding is slim to nill....20 years of off roading and never needed the lights to get back to camp, but you never know.

Chances are it will come down to availability and the deals to be had on each bike.

If an 17 FX is 1k cheaper its a no brainer for me, The 17 and 18 FX are pretty much same, I'd be looking at the 18 WR just for the improvements they made.

Closed course I don't have to do anything to the FX but get on and ride(well after putting on decent handguards anyway).

WR needs Comp kit,FX needs S/A,lights(Id be doing cheap route) and Id probably throw the fan in.

Both need rad supports and decent handguards.

There are used Fx's coming up,no WRs

Yeah Im leaning FX

The WR comes with the Fan.. doesn't it ? or did they remove it???? 

Usually you can get a deal on the WRs as they are not as popular here  in Ontario, so the price difference on the WR vs FX is marginal.  I have a 2015 WR and a friend has the 2016 FX. I haven't done the competition kit change yet.  I like that the FX and WR parts are 90%+ interchangeable .  

WRs are in short supply here,especially newer used bikes.

New 18 WRs are over 9k otd.....

I just bought a 17 FX with less than 10hrs on it,actually i think 5 or less....for 6900.

Its literally a brand new bike...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/23/2018 at 11:08 AM, kiwibri said:

The WR comes with the Fan.. doesn't it ? or did they remove it???? 

Usually you can get a deal on the WRs as they are not as popular here  in Ontario, so the price difference on the WR vs FX is marginal.  I have a 2015 WR and a friend has the 2016 FX. I haven't done the competition kit change yet.  I like that the FX and WR parts are 90%+ interchangeable .  

OH MAN DO THE COMP KIT!!!
Best performance mod ever for $125 .

At least remove the cork from pipe and the snorkel from airbox and replace the throttle stop with shorter screw. That will make a huge difference.

I couldn't believe how much better my 2017 WR ran after the Comp Kit. I think it took like 20 - 30 minutes to put it on. 

The WR  still has a fan. 

Edited by DeanGuilberry

Pieces are showing....

So much for being a winter project.

Makes me want to ride even more...sadly cant happen

20180831_111845.jpg