what about winter riding?

as most of u know i live in Canada and yes there is lots of snow. i wanna know if its worth studding my old rear tire to go on the odd winter adventure.

last weekend i took 'er out and i had the worst ride of my life. all i did was wipe out and get stuck on ice and snow. which led me to think thyere must be a better way.

my buddy has some studs spare snowmobile studs that he gave me and i got an old rear tire i can sacrafice so i thought maybe stud my tire.

so is studding my rear tire and leaving my front tire unstudded the way to have some winter fun? and do i gotta change my carb settings?

Go buy $5 bucks of 3/8" sheet metal screws (front tire) & $5 bucks of 1/2" sheet metal screws for the rear. Put one screw in the center of every knobbie. You'll be amazed at the traction on everything....ice, logs, ruts, etc.....confidence will build quickly, and so will speed. Add more screws if ya have the cash. Stay off the black top cause it wears the screws quite quickly. oh yea...if ya want your bike to look like a mx bike...buy a real sticker kit...it'll look a lot better than those FMF stickies.

oh ill try and do other things to keep me away from my garage but i bet mid season ill be dying to to get on my bike. i may ateempt to stud my tires but ill wait till i get the urge before i go drilling screws in my tires.

about the graphics... noone makes graphics i like. so id rather just use the sticker kit i got for my bday than go spend 60 -100 bucks on graphics i dont like.

We ride in snow/mud conditions with ice. I try not to get out there when its too deep, but when in doubt, stud both wheels. In really wet conditions ideally we can run a stud up front and the trials tire in the rear. That won't work in snow. The trials tire spins like you're on a dyno.

Hi KLXj0nes, I live in Quebec... So I live where the snow is made:banghead:

I can tell you that the best way to play with your bike in winter is to wait for the snow to be solid... I mean almost like ice.

Then you'll need to put studs on every knobs of your tire. Don't use metal screws because after one ride they're gonna be destroyed. You'll need real screws made for it. You'll find it in your favorite motorcycle store. It's more expensive, but you will be able to use it for the entire winter... But never go on the road. They'll be destroyed after 1 minute or 2.

If you want to play in the snow after a winter storm, you will need a kit named Attrax. You'll find a demo at: www.attrax.net

Have a nice winter

I just got back on the ATTRAX site and there is no more winter demo. I can tell you that you will still need studs on your front tire, and probably also on the kit (I put some on mine).

It's a new product in Quebec... So not much people can tell how it really works on every condition of snow.

That's the reason why I put studs on it before trying it...

In few weeks, I will be able to tell much more about the product.

Note: Excuse if you have difficulty to read me because my usual language is french.

Jones - I ride my klx in the snow also. Up to around 4 to 6 inches stock tires work fine. Learn to ride upright, don't lean much, try to keep the front tire straight up and down. Flat track alot of your turns. Over 6 inches and it starts getting interesting. I prefer fresh snow and I either follow a rut where you can or stay out of them completely. It's easier where their isn't any tracks or ruts.

yeah when i went to my dealer they suggested something like attrax but they didnt have an exact price on something like attrax but they said it was going to be around 500. maybe if i fall into some money i may. i could also go buy a shitty sled for 1250 and have alot more fun

studding my tire would be the way id go since it would be almost freee cuz i have studs from my friends old snowmobile track. i just dont want to stud my tires then find out that riding with studs is shitty. like swind says after 6 inches of powder i figure im gonna be getting stuck and just have a frustrating time.

thanks for the advice guys

nice pics, you really smoked right through that snow, mine would just spin the tire and get stuck. im assuming u have studs or something but your picture looks like u have a stock tire.

ps. u make super sherpas look bad ass

Nope, no tire studs. Those sherpas are torquey little beasts, and I have

that one geared down a bit, which helps. 14/48. Stock is 14/43.

The D739 rear helps a lot. Barely fits. Run a MT21 on the front.

Took it for a very short street ride up to local gas statioin the next day, thru

heavy traffic in collision alert conditions. People were giving me some

funny looks for sure.

I just got back on the ATTRAX site and there is no more winter demo. I can tell you that you will still need studs on your front tire, and probably also on the kit (I put some on mine).

It's a new product in Quebec... So not much people can tell how it really works on every condition of snow.

That's the reason why I put studs on it before trying it...

In few weeks, I will be able to tell much more about the product.

Note: Excuse if you have difficulty to read me because my usual language is french.

Pompon, If you don't mind give us a review on the attrax when you get the chance. I've been looking into those and am curious to get a fellow riders perspective.:worthy: