NOMADAK

Do you remember?

Do you remember when a lot of Maico's lined up with a few Honda's, a couple of Kawasaki's and a whole bunch of yellow bikes in the open class?

Do you remember seeing a Can Am motorcycle in a mx race?

Do you remember metal gas tanks on bikes?

Do you remember when the Europeans used to kick our butt in MX?

Do you remember Marty Moates winning the USGP at Carlsbad?

Do you remember the 1980 G model Yamaha's coming out and dominating every class of racing? 80's, 125's, 250's and the awesome 465?

Do you remember names like Mono-X, Uni-Link, Pro-Link and Full-FLoater and know which went with each brand?

Do you remember when we had watercooling before we got disc brakes?

Do you remember "boost bottles"?

Do you remember 43mm forks?

Do you remember when every team Yamaha rider wore white MX gear with "Good Guys" on the seat of the pants (circa 1983)?

Do you remember the first time you saw Bob "hurricane" Hannah?

Do you remember when you heard that he broke his leg waterskiing?

Do you remember his ramming contest with HOWERTON?

Do you remember when he switched from Yamaha to Honda?

How about when he announced his retirement?

How about him winning his class in the mud at the MX des Nations on a RM125 after he retired!?

Do you remember he, Rick Johnson and Jeff Ward

got invited to the white house to meet Reagan after winning the MX des Nations at Unadilla?

Do you remember when JT gear was the nicest gear out there?

Remember when if you wanted goggles there were two choices SCOTT or OAKLEY?

Remember Hallman Mach 5 chest protectors?

Bell Moto 4 helmets?

Do you remember what a K490 is?

How about DG?

How about DMC?

Do you remember the first time you felt cartridge forks?

Do you remember when Rick Johnson was THE MAN!

Remember when you heard that David Bailey had broken his back, was paralyzed and the effect it had on pretty much everyone who rode mx bikes?

Do you remember that Danny Storbeck landed on Rick Johnson and breaking his wrist at Gatorback over the big double out of the gator pit in practice? Did you know that Storbeck fininshed 4th overall that day? Do you remember that Johnson came back and rode his guts out to win the very next year's Gatorback national almost one year to the day after the injury that effectively ended his career in one of the grittiest performances imaginable? He announced retirement weeks later, his wrist wouldn't bend and would go numb minutes into the moto's. He was done.

Do you remember Micky Diamond winning Honda two 125 championships in a row and then getting sent packing to Yamaha?

Do you remember unknown farmboy Jeff Stanton? He finished 2nd overall in the 1988 500 nationals on a P-O-S aircooled YZ490 behind Rick Johnson (on the Honda factory CR500), showing RJ a wheel or two along the way. Honda picked him up the following year and he went on to stardom.

Do you remember Damon Bradshaw emerging from the amatuer ranks to sit atop the pro podiums? I can't recall any amatuer before or since who generated so much excitement from the fans. Say what you will about the final end result of his career, that guy was FAST!:D

Do you remember Jean Michel Bayle? Fluid, effortless, almost made Bailey look like a goon in comparison. (I'll probably get shot for that last one!:prof: )

Do you remember when Kiedrowski and Larocco got into a stuffing contest at a national while being on the same team? Do you remember who ghost rode their bike into whom after the moto finished?

Do you remember McGrath decimating everybody in the 125's on the PEAK Pro-Circuit Hondas his first year in the pros? For two seasons straight? Then moving on to 250's and dominating for ..........geez I loose count!

Remember when he told Honda to :cry: ?

Remember his fiasco with Suzuki?

Remember all his championships on YAMAHA'S?

Remember him breaking his hip practicing on the KTM?

Do you remember when RC rode Kawasaki's?

How about when he was on Honda's?

How about when he told Honda to :ride: ?

How about when he went to ride for Gasp......Suzuki? and you just knew something was going to go wrong on that brand!:bonk:

I can keep this up all night.

As I read back through it .................Damn, I'm old.

But I love this sport and I remember!:worthy:

• Like 1

You got my attention with the Maico's and then I couldn't stop reading!!!

Excellent!

P.s. Where's the Brad Lackey trivia?

at 39 your not old, just gettin started.

JT helmets were cool.

JOfa was the "in chest protector".

Open face helmets.

fox air shocks.

radial fin heads

TM wasn't a trade mark sign but a model of a race bike.

Maicos dared to put a "coffin" on thier motocycle to hold gas.

Rokon's were the 70's idea of "Rekluse"

Can Am's in 83 came out with of all things a fiberglass tank. (used to carry gas tank repair epoxy so you patch leaks)

introduction of roll offs.

introduction of cti knee braces.

first set of man made whoops.

national amatuer mx championship event before Lorretta lynns.

no particular order to this but i bet with some time this could be a really long thread.

:worthy:

Didn't magrath get betten in his first year of supercross (125cc) by his team mate? Some enduro riding squid by the name of ty davis.

Do you remember names like Mono-X, Uni-Link, Pro-Link and Full-FLoater and know which went with each brand?

Wow, I remember ALL of that(that's sad). Those rear suspension names are easy to match, do you remember which bikes these go to? Pro Lever,Quad Link,ITC and my personal trivia favorite Soft Damp.

Excellent!

P.s. Where's the Brad Lackey trivia?

I know what I've read and seen on videos about Brad Lackey but it isn't too much. The "On any Sunday 2" video has a great little bio on him. He didn't race here too much in his later years as he was always chasing that elusive world title!

Lackey was the first American to win a world FIM mx title.....in 1982. He did it on a Suzuki!

Jim Pomeroy was the first American to win in MX against the Europeans on their own home soil (Spain) in 1973.

Bob Hannah finally succeeded in defeating the great Roger Decoster in the Trans-AMA races title in 1978. Howerton won it the next two years. Decoster pretty much owned it before them.

When Marty Moates won the 500 cc USGP against the Europeans on U.S. soil at Carlsbad, it pretty much signaled that a changing of the guard had occurred. Chuck Sun (another great American MX'r) won it the following year. Danny "Magoo" Chandler won it the year after that!

In 1981, the Usa won their first MX des Nations and held that title until 1994.

We had been doing indoor supercross for several years here in the states by that time and I believe that had alot to do with us becoming so dominant in mx. Long travel bikes became long travel because the jumps were getting bigger.

Lackey deserves alot of credit for his perserverence. Going to Europe, eating bad food, living in box vans, dealing with prototype Kawasaki's that broke on him at the worst possible time (is there ever a good time?). He did all of this for many years also. He had some heart wrenchingly close runs along the way. He is a true American MX hero.

Like I said, I can do this all night! It is a good thing I'm not having a drink tonight! woo hoo:naughty:

Does anyone remember the Brit David Thorpe? Rode for Honda, 1985 and 86 world 500cc champ. The guy was blazing fast on smoother European courses but had by today's standards, horrible riding form. To be honest with you, his form was considered pretty bad back then too. MX action gave him the label "WORLD'S FASTEST NOVICE".

Does anyone remember the Superbikers? Nothing like seeing Eddie Lawson pitch a YZ490 sideways with Rick Johnson, Broc Glover and Kent Howerton in tow at 100+mph..........all captured by those fine folks at ABC's WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS.

Does anyone remember how bad the coverage was though? :worthy:

Let me tell you, it was bad! You think today's coverage sucks.....they would switch coverage to some other event Like CURLING right when the racing action was getting hot!:prof:

Does anyone remember life without THUMPERTALK?:D

Didn't magrath get betten in his first year of supercross (125cc) by his team mate? Some enduro riding squid by the name of ty davis.

You are right, He actually debuted in 1989 finishing the season 8th overall on the year. In 1990, riding for Kawasaki support, He finished 2nd to Ty Davis (who is not a squid by any means). He then went on to win with the Peak/Pro circuit Honda's in 1991/1992.

I was working from memory on that first post without checking facts....memory is a bit blurry on that. I recall him winning as a rookie, but that was the 250 sx title. Forgive the transgression.

I know that he won the 125 "c" class national championship at Loretta Lynn's in 1987 on team Green.

Great thread for us 30 somethings and over. I have a picture of me wearing the jt boot covers for mud with my velcro boot. We had neon pink and orange in the 80's. I even had the high tech ice pack shoulder thing (towel) to stuff with ice and put under your jersey to keep you cool during a moto. Anybody Prep Plus right a bell?

Kawasaki's first single shock rear suspension was named Uni-trak not uni-link like I wrote in the first post.:D

Remember fork boots? and how hard they were to get clean?

Remember the AMP research KTM 125?

Remember when ATK's came out and were THE baddass 4 stroke!?

Remember when local Florida rider Kenny Keylon led the Gatorback national right up to the last corner on the last lap, then broke his chain in the bottom of the Gatorpit? The finish line was up a steep hill about 200 yards away! It was devastating!

Remember Erik Kehoe and George Holland's battles on 125's? Kehoe went on to become a well respected MX team manager. Holland won championships and wisely put his winnings into an almond orchard!:worthy:

Remember Jo Jo Keller? A New Englander! The guy was fast but had a really stocky build. Kind of like a butterball out there steam rolling around the track. He wore the same old purple jersey for years! It obvously shrunk some where along the way cause his gut and love handles were clearly visible. I recall Bob Hannah telling him "JoJo! change your jersey for gawd's sake!" Last I heard he was fishing for a living in the northeastern waters.

Keep it going fellas.

"Let Broc Bye"

Man...I can still see that picture clearly in my mind! I saw Hannah race a few time in person and he was awesome. I remember when he broke his leg waterskiing.

Remember Ossa's?

I remember Mike Brown leading most the first Indy SX (on a Peak CR125), he kept whipping the bike over the finish line jump........he finally dumped it and I forgot who won.

Good thread. Keep it going.

And about Hi-Point boots (they were the s**t),

My Dads best friend still has a pair of them, but he doesn't wear them anymore.

I still have my old Hallman Body Armor! I had a metal tank on my '78 RM250, and later, a yellow YZ490. Remember the Husky automatic? I remember Bob Hannah crashing and getting up dead last at a SX in Three Rivers Stadium, only to lap the entire field by the last lap!!! That evening, my friend and I slipped behind the security guy shoving people away from the pit entrance and managed to get autographs from Bob Hannah, Chuck Sun, Steve Stackable and others. I still have them in an album! I watched David Bailey win at Mt. Morris PA. I remember Jeff Ward winning the mini nationals. Tony D boots! Helmet visors held on with duct tape. Real leather pants. Bultacos. Bikes were cheap enough to buy a new one every 2 years. A racing weekend cost me $25 and that included buying a burger on the way home. Aaahhh, those were the days!