Do you remember?

In 20 years or so, 'wonder if there will be---for a given age/vintage--- more air-cooled bikes still around (RUNNING) vs. liquid-cooled? Or what percent of each type still around (running)vs. how many of them originally sold? Looking at Ham's siggy with the '84 IT makes me think that air-cooled might just win...!!!

1980_YZ250G_81_01.jpg

I remember buying my first real mx bike, the 1980 YZ250G, I paid $1,750 out the door. It was so dam fast I could hardly hang on. I remember flipping it in the first corner during my second race ever, and getting run over by 1/2 the pack. :prof:

Maplehurst_250B_1980_01.jpg

I remeber the first turn at maplehurst in 1980 was an incredible display of uncontrolled chaos. They always had the local ambulance crew handy and for good reason. :ride:

Maplehurst_250B_1981_02.jpg

I remember battling with these two dudes the entire moto for about 15th place or so. When there is 45-50 riders in every moto getting into the top 20 was an accomplishment. :D

Maplehurst_August_1980_08.jpg

I remember the dust being so thick I seriously feared for my life on several occasions. The only thing worse was when they finally did get a watering system Martin Horne would get a hold of the hose and create mud holes the size of Texas. ?

Old_School_Corner_01.jpg

I remember when my Dad used to go the races and take pictures he would develop himself in the basement. :worthy:

:bonk:

Do you remember the first time you saw Bob "hurricane" Hannah?

:worthy:

Yes, Hangtown 1976 on the track at Plymouth. Hannah bet the "unbeatable" Marty Smith in the 125cc class in the first moto. The second moto Smith's bike melted the piston. The bike died, some said of a broken heart.

Broc Glover lapped the field in the 125 expert class the on Saturday. He couldn't race on Sunday because he was only 15! Wow!

Brain still works!:D

The first time I got to see Hannah was 1984 at Six Flags Over Georgia. Unfortunately, it was one of his last races, near the end of his career. I remember being so disappointed that he wouldn't hit one particular huge tabletop WFO like all the other pro's. But at least I was able to see him ride, if not race.

The first time I got to see Hannah was 1984 at Six Flags Over Georgia. Unfortunately, it was one of his last races, near the end of his career. I remember being so disappointed that he wouldn't hit one particular huge tabletop WFO like all the other pro's. But at least I was able to see him ride, if not race.

I was at that race. Back when they ran all three classes the same day. David Bailey was flying on his RC500 that day, literally. Almost clipping the pine tree branches that hung out over the track at the big table top jump.

I got see Hannah ride on three different brands during his career, Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki. Got to see Hannah for the frist time at the Atlanta SX back when it was in the Fulton Co. Stadium 1977.

Who remembers when Hannah kick everyones butt on a breath on stock YZ250, that was later raffled off. And how Yamaha said that he was hurting equipment advancement by not riding the works bike. Pretty ironic that a few year later Yamaha would be the one to lead the way for prodution based works machines.

38 years old here. This thread is fun :worthy: I found a couple of my old pics. When I was 16, got my first real dirt bike. Saved all my money to buy this 1981 CR125. First year for watercooling and Pro Link. Scott face mask, open face helmet and tennis shoes :D

savedpics268gz9.jpg

After I sold the CR I bought a 1985 KTM125. I liked the Honda better. My dad still has the '86KTM250 pictured.

savedpics395bn4.jpg

After the KTM I bought the best old bike I ever owned a 1987 CR250. It was great and I raced it into the early 90's. Griffin Moto 4 copy. AXO boots and Hallman Chest protector. Those were great chest protectors.

savedpics272mp9.jpg

I know they weren't the best bikes, but I thought those white KTM's were the coolest looking bikes on the track. :worthy:

My first actual race bike was an '83 KTM250mx, I liked it so much that my next bike was an '86 KTM250mx. The '86 was the first year for the Digital Control Ignition and that computer box under the gas tank failed 3 times in one year, once during a race(luckily not over a jump), once when I went to start it for the first moto and once out trial riding. I hated my dealer, he was very condescending and charged me the other two times it failed but I liked the bike so much I put up with him. I would have bought another KTM after the '86 but I was done dealing with the guy.

I remember when I saw RJ blew by Mike Tripes, Chris Heisser, and Jim Tarantino all in one uphill corner at Saddleback. I remember when Donnie Hansen and O'Mara won the final race held at Racing World (Escape Country) on a Can-Am and the Mugen respectively. I remember seeing Kehoe blow the doors off of all the mini experts at Dunes. I remember seeing Gary Jones, Radical Ron Turner, Todd Peterson, and Jeff Jennings battle at Ascot every week. Anyone remember Tim Lunde or Greg Draskovich? That was back when FOX was just a pair of shocks that only Pros could afford. Remember when the bikes all fired up as soon as the ambulance showed up? Or Stu Peters arguing with the old guys every week about the starting times? I remember crawling through the bushes at Carlsbad and popping out to a pair of really white feet, that belonged to Heikki Mikkola. I remember sneaking into the pits at Saddleback and seeing that Yamaha finally had a linkage system. Then Hannah went out and had a great battle with Howerton on his # 100. I remember the year that Mike Bell was smoking all the Euros at Carlsbad and then succumbed to heat exhaustion, and I remember when Marty finally won it for all the Americans. I remember when Brian Myerscough absolutely smoked Barnett, Glover, and O'Mara at Saddleback in both motos in 80'. You know when the Danny Magoo 'double jump' was put in. I thought I would jump it the next week in the Golden State series, no way! I remember the night in Anaheim when I met Bob Hannah after Mike Bell had barely beat him, I also had the chance to meet Gaylon Mosier, Pomeroy, Stackable, Weinert, Reid, amongst others. Back when you couldn't get in a line or buy a pit pass. You snuck in or had connections, that was it. I remember when they closed Saddleback, Dunes, and Carlsbad, but now we have Perris, Glen Helen, and Cahuilla Creek amongst others. Oh yeah, I got to meet Brad Lackey a few weeks ago. And I remember all the times I was out practicing and had a top Pro fly by. Only in our sport can a nobody get behind someone like Vuillimen or Villapoto on a practice day. Their speed is amazing when you see it leaving you. Can't beat motocross.:worthy: