helmet law??

is it true that after you have a bad crash and your helmet gets messed up but no damage to your head or anything that its against the law to use the helmet again...because thats what the emt told my cousin after he had to be helicoptered out...because the foam like expands on impact

wellt thanks in advance

No. He was telling your cousin that so he wouldn't use the helmet again.

The only time I have reused was after a lowside in which my head did not touch the ground... However I will show you a pic of an HJC that hit incredibly hard and shows no damage, I would definitely not use that lid again.

Helmet laws dictate the use of a helmet. Nothing more. They don't dictate that you can't re-use a helmet, but common sense should tell you that.

A helmet is a one-time-use item. Once it has performed it's job of protecting your noggin in a crash, that's it, it's job is done and it's life is over. You should NEVER reuse a helmet that has hit the ground with your head inside it. The foam inside the helmet crushes under the pressure of your head being forced against the shell of the helmet. This absorbs the energy of the impact and slows the rate of deceleration of your head, which will prevent or reduce the severity of your brain slamming into the inside of your skull and causing a brain injury. Once the foam is crushed, it will never re-expand, so it's ability to absorb energy is compromised. It won't protect your brain in a subsequent crash.

Dropping a helmet is a different problem. If the helmet doesn't hit anything hard enough to damage the paint, it's most likely still OK to use. If, however, it hits hard enough to damage the paint, then it may also have damaged the shell, even if there is no visible damage to the shell. If the shell has sustained damage, it could possibly split open in the event of a crash, leaving your head unprotected. That's why you don't hang your helmet from the end of your bars...

Nice post Chokey!

Just use some common sense. (which it sounds like your cousin may not have):worthy: If the helmet takes a pretty decent hit on or off your head then you should probably replace it. If it is a light impact, you may be OK.

Everytime your head hits the ground with it seems too severe.

Scrapped paint cant be a measure either if you ride offroad you`ll understand how easily the paint gets wasted when you fall over rocks.

A major impact or the slightest concussion (i dont know if its spelled correctly) is a good sign of saying bye bye to it.