Sign in to follow this  

00' S won't run, walked 4 mi. in the desert

My 00' S model gave up on me couple days ago. Have been having carb trouble lately. This time the whole airbox was full of gas and was pouring out of the overflow from the carb. This happened to me before, I had the carb cleaned and adjusted 500 miles ago. Anyone experienced this?

Sounds like you picked up a piece of dirt or other kind of.........stuff & now the float is stuck. That's why it's draining thru the overflow. Better blow it apart & renew your fuel filters. Also clean out the filter on the fuel petcock.

yeah I put one in a while ago. A few rides before this last one it was cutting out in the whoops then running fine otherwise. I have spent about $300 this year alone tuning the OEM carb. I am now considering the FCR replacement but not sure the price.

$516 and change plus shipping i believe.

Just went to the store, shows out of stock. '

BETTER GET YOURS ON ORDER, ALL US COLD WEATHER GUYS ARE TEARING APART OUR BIKES NOW THAT WE CAN'T RIDE!

yeah I put one in a while ago. A few rides before this last one it was cutting out in the whoops then running fine otherwise. I have spent about $300 this year alone tuning the OEM carb. I am now considering the FCR replacement but not sure the price.

If you have stuff floating through your system, you better get that taken care of regardless of a new carb or not. :worthy:

well problem found. the o ring that holds the needle in place in the carb was rotten. Six years of abuse I guess. My mechanic fixed the problem, runs great now. Thanks for all the replies keep up the good work. Hopefully it will be another six years before I have to walk the bike home!

Not a put down in any way. But if your going to be ridding alone out in the desert you really should learn how to work on your bike. The carb is not rocket science and there is plenty of help and info hear. The service manual has great pictures and detail.

One time I was ridding in the desert alone. It was a 95 degree day so I got an early start. I was in the middle of nowhere when the bike just died on me. There wasn't shade for hundereds of yards and it was a ruff single track. No cell phone range.

I tried to stay calm and figured I would pull the tank and check the plug. In the process I found a loose electrical connector. I plugged it back in and it started right up.

I was lucky I guess. But the point is you just have to have enough confidence to check for the basics.

Fuel pouring out of the air box is pretty obvious. I think I would have checked the floatbowl.

Glad you found the problem.

Happy trails.

Not a put down in any way.... The carb is not rocket science and there is plenty of help and info hear.

spelling and grammar aren't rocket science either! :D

hahaha.

sorry, i had to.

but i do agree... it does help to get into the vitals of your machine so in the event something like this does happen, you wont be caught with your pants down.

:worthy:

Desert riding is like SCUBA diving, always take a buddy and stay close.

A competent buddy too... not one that's going to forget his water, tools, food, maps, out of shape, etc. I've had that kind, where you land up sharing their survival experience.

If you're going into the middle of nowhere (biking, hiking, backcountry skiing) each buddy should agree to check each other's supplies and agree on contingency plans. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. If you know they're a novice, don't take as much risk, assume it's your kid you're taking care of and plan for both.