Crf 230f

Copied from the sticky:

Part numbers:

16012-KPS-921 – Needle (Includes Power up needle, Clip, and needle jet)

99113-GHB-XXX0 – Main jet (Where XXX is the size)

99103-MT2-0XX0 – Pilot jet (Where XX is the size)

For the Jets, just tell them you need jets for a regular Keihn carb, (also known as a Keihn Long Hex) main jet size XXX, pilot jet size XX. They should know the part numbers. For the needle, bring the number along. If you are lazy, they should have a fiche and they can look up the numbers. Then again you can take in the old jets, and make sure they match up to the new ones.

:worthy::D:prof:

Has anyone noticed all the variations on the jetting mods for the 230? I have and I'd advise people not to do any jetting because it is way too dodgy to go off information which seems to be inconclusive. While some say 132 main and others say 120, there is too much indiscretion for the jetting mod to be credible. :worthy:

At first the 132 with the Power-Up needle was what everybody ran. people though it was a prefect combination. Then Coeshow pointed it out to us that using the stock needle with a 120 main makes a much better A/F mixture. The 132 is too rich, after swapping it for a 120, I acctaully felt an increase in performance.

I need a jetting solution for my 2006 CRF 230-F w/ airbox mod. I read the sticky, but it calls for a 132-main jet. Dealer is saying the range of main jets available for the 2006 model is from 98-112. Any suggestions?

Running a 120 main and a 45 piolet power up needle in the fourth position runs run well at 5600 feet above sea level. I tried the 132 main bike ran ok, except it had a horrible backfire on deaccelaration and bike would bog down

Hope this hepls a bit.

Ian

I have just bought an 05 230, I searched the jetting for this bike and there seems to be several opinions as to what is the best. Buy the "power up needle" or use the stock needle, 132 main 125 main. I want to jet right the first time so I dont have to take my carb apart multiple times. I live in Florida "sea Level" I have stock exhaust with baffle removed and airbox snorkel removed. Should I keep the stock needle and go 125 main jet And 45 Pilot jet? or is it worth buying the new needle>? Thanks for the input.

The stock needle is better than the 'Power-Up' Needle. Use the stock needle, 120 main and 45 pilot. Those are the correct jets for sea level and around up to 2000 ft.

I'm just about to take my bike to the pro's to get it re-jetted and just thought I should confirm what I will get done....

I've read the whole jetting sticky but thought I would post here as it seems appropriate enough- Crf230 Rider as you seem to know a fair bit- can you explain why the stock needle and 120 main is better suited than 132main and power up needle?

Also...I live in Aus and ride in temperatures around 20F to 90F degrees, less than 2000ft below sea level. When I jet my bike, will this setup wear out my engine quicker?

As it's intended to give more power does that mean it will use heaps more fuel?

Any info greatly appreciated ?

Simple, the 132 is just to rich of a main jet for the stock motor. I believe it was Coeshow who found that the "Power-Up" needle was acctaully a leaner needle than what was stock. The 120 with stock needle in 4'th produced a much more to optimum A/F mixture than the 132 with "Power-Up" needle.

With the correct jetting, your 230F should last longer than it did with the lean stock jetting. Since with these jets you have a near perfect A/F mixture your motor will run much happier. Also, while removing the intake and exhaust baffles, your engine can breath better. For fuel economy, I never noticed the bike to use any more fuel than before. 120 main, 45 pilot, stock needle in 4'th, and the fuel screw will vary. Most are anywhere's between 1.5 and 2 turns OUT. I run mine at 1.5.

Goodluck with this!?

To all interested parties.

As most know I have done extensive work with jetting these bikes (230's)

The main jet will have 0 affect on how your engine runs except at near and at wide open throttle.

FYI,

Most of your mixture is controlled by the needle.

Idle and low RPM (small throttle openings) are assisted by the pilot jet.

The main jet will not affect starting, low speed, or partial throttle mixture control settings.

Unfortunately, the main jet is typically the jet that gets changed in search of better response and for improvements that will NOT be affected by changing the main jet !

When testing with a 120 main jet, the A/F mixture was still a tad on the rich side. More than safe. This testing was done with Wide Open Throttle and up to peak RPM (10,000).

Unless you live and ride in an extreme elevation or climate, there is really no reason to install a larger main jet than a 120 if the engine is completely stock.

Here's something to keep in mind when jetting your bike. If the throttle is not wide open, you're not "on the main jet"

Good luck and ride safely.

From my own experience with the 132. I guess I should have pointed this out, the main jet only is in use at 3/4 to full throttle. When I used to run a 132, I found if I held it wide open for a few seconds and then let off, it would studder and sometimes backfire. Right when I switched to a 120, it didn't do that anymore. The 132 is definatly to rich.