Sign in to follow this  

DRZ500 Concept ...

my only concern with this project is imho its pushing the limits of the stock connecting rod.

but as i pointed out before,if the rev limit were lowered it should be ok.

it has alot of potential for power.

Does anyone remember that Dirtbike Magazine made a DRZ into a 500? It was in the October 2000 issue. They had Thumper Racing bore it out and they put in a steel liner. Total increase was 8.5mm bigger than stock. They did comment that it didnt rev out as far (which was a good thing I guess, so they wouldnt be hitting the revlimiter).

not sure if it might end up with other issues like vibration?jumped from stock drz400e to one with 440 athena kit on little while ago and definitly could feel more vibration,not bad but noticable.

piston speed is very high like an S2000 from honda. highest iirc of production cars in it's day.

if i was building the motor that way, i'd probably do a nicer rod than stock anyway. but a budget build like that may reveal it's weakness quickly.

but.... build it. it can't be bad for the community in any way. progress is progress.

--keith

Maybe a Carillo rod? I wonder if one could be gotten for a DRZ.

After riding an uncorked and re-jetted Husky 510 SMR, I say build it. That Husky as the most fun I have ever had on a motorcycle. :worthy:

i wish i had enough funds right now to make my bike toast the husky my friend has. he'd hate that! i'd love that!

eddie- falicon makes a big bore also right? is their rod better than others, and are other's BB kits better than theirs? just wondering! you seem to recommend only certain BB kits and rods for big builds.

--keith

Does the HR crank use a stock rod? I assumed it was a stronger rod on the crank and that's what you would be using. My dealer is building my 485 with a Lukes kit as soon as my new cases come in.

it is hotrods own rod.nothing really stronger about it.

i wish i had enough funds right now to make my bike toast the husky my friend has. he'd hate that! i'd love that!

eddie- falicon makes a big bore also right? is their rod better than others, and are other's BB kits better than theirs? just wondering! you seem to recommend only certain BB kits and rods for big builds.

--keith

falicon just has some one bore and replate.nothing special there.

their "knife" rod is a very nice product.

the 475's make more power than the husky you rode.

No doubt when you are done with them.

I rode that Husky at sea level while back visiting in CA. It was sick. One of your 475's down there seaside would be insane :worthy:

Can you lighten that big piston at all? A little time on the mill goes a long way.

But then it would no longer be a "low buck" upgrade.

Would love to hear about it when its done.

Just a thought but do you suppose Athena might sell a batch of cylinders sans plating and piston? I imagine the plating is the last step in the mfg. process and would save some money if not done. You never know, perhaps a minimum run would be appealing to Athena.

Well Gentilemen ... Here I go again ... with alot of thought and research ... I believe the DRZ can be increased to 500cc and be made as reliable as the original 475cc concept ... I recently had the opportunity to have a athena big bore cylinder in my hands and did some measurements ... using the athena cylinder with the wider water jackets and thicker cylinder skirt ... will allow upto a 97mm piston and keep the same wall thickness as big boring to 94.5mm on a stock cylinder ... also ... the headgasket sealing area left after boring will be greater than big boring a stock cylinder to 94.5 (which we already know works) ... that coupled with the hotrods stroker crank will give a 499.6 displacement ... the only issue remaining will be to add weight to the counter balancer to offset the extra weight of the 97mm piston ... The cost to gain the extra 25cc will be higher because of the premium paid for the athena cylinder and buying the custom piston from thumper racing ... another idea is to contact JE pistons as they will build custom pistons in (4) lots ... Anyway ... I thought I would thow the concept out there ... Winter is just begining ... and I 'm always thinking of a project to keep me amused ... what do you guys think ....

Dang it Dave, I wish we would have known that. I would have had it bored out to at least 95.5 maby even been the first to get the reliable 500???? If this cylinder gets shot like the last one, I'll just have you send it off for me again. Dang it, oh well.

I haven't installed the athena 94.5mm bore yet, any chances on getting this together for me? How much would the piston cost? Dave, could I trade in the piston that you sent me with the Athena? I never even bolted it to the bike yet. Still sitting downstairs. My finger has finally recouped from beings severed. email me or call at 865-898-3590. I'll be Glad to be the Guinea pig on this one. I still have my stock S CDI as well as an E and a Yoshi. I also have the +5mm stroke already in the bike.

Hook a brotha up. All I want for Christmas is a Bigger Bore DRZ!!!!!!!

I haven't installed the athena 94.5mm bore yet, any chances on getting this together for me? How much would the piston cost? Dave, could I trade in the piston that you sent me with the Athena? I never even bolted it to the bike yet. Still sitting downstairs. My finger has finally recouped from beings severed. email me or call at 865-898-3590. I'll be Glad to be the Guinea pig on this one. I still have my stock S CDI as well as an E and a Yoshi. I also have the +5mm stroke already in the bike.

Hook a brotha up. All I want for Christmas is a Bigger Bore DRZ!!!!!!!

here ya guys go http://www.maxpower-engines.com/big-bore-kits-ATV/ltz510-icecube.htm is 510 cc big enough for ya.

hey kvo its matt the guy who bought your 41 fcr cant wait for the carb as i will be doin a complete tairdown to install my new stroker

the hp figures dont seem very good on this but with a bit of tinkering from eddie man what a motor. i doubt there cylinfer will be reliable in the long run ast its not a iron sleave

Yeah, you should see the carb in a week or so. It was good talking to a fellow TTer.

You'll hear one thing about the sleeves in a cylinder around here. Aluminum is the only way to go. As Ed, he'll tell you.

It was actually my Athena cylinder that Dave had got a look at. I'm down to throw a bigger bore in if people want to help out. Dave's deal on getting the cylinder bored and plated sounds good to me, I just need to find a piston.

I'd run it and run it hard too. I may have to wait untill this cylinder needs another plate to give it a go. We'll see.

here ya guys go http://www.maxpower-engines.com/big-bore-kits-ATV/ltz510-icecube.htm is 510 cc big enough for ya.

hey kvo its matt the guy who bought your 41 fcr cant wait for the carb as i will be doin a complete tairdown to install my new stroker

the hp figures dont seem very good on this but with a bit of tinkering from eddie man what a motor. i doubt there cylinfer will be reliable in the long run ast its not a iron sleave

Don't iron sleeves wear FASTER than the plated aluminum ones? From what I've read on here the aluminnum sleeved Athena kits are far more reliable than the other 440cc iron sleeve kits.

And 45HP out of a simple bore/stroke does seem a little low, but I bet Eddie could work a little more out of it (however he does...). Toss on some new cams and I bet that thing will pull damn hard.

the ice cube uses a forged aluminum sleeve.

just the crank and cylinder kit is $2450.

cylinder fill at high rpm becomes a real issue onthese big motors.you can see the effects of that in the dyno graphs they post.

Make sure you have enough money left over for a dust pan and some oil dry.