650r first impressions & ??'s

I just bought an 01 650r - bike had less than 100 miles, so it was in excelent shape - I added FMF pipe, airbox mod w/twin air, jetted carb and got rid of all the smog and non funcitonal slow crap and added 15/48 gearing. I am coming from a crf450 with a 498 RPM big bore with 14/45 (or 46) gearing.

1) The bike is a pig with the fuel economy - the bike gets 27.5 mpg at normal desert riding. So I figure about 90 miles on the IMS 3.2 tank going pretty easy. Race pace will be well under that. Does that sound normal?

2) I thought I would try the stock carb for a while before I got a pumper but the stock carb seems to work great, no hesitation at all. Am I lucky or am I just missing something?

3) I love the way the bike rides and the torque but it accelerates soooo slow and it doesn't really lift the front wheel off the ground at speed or in the higher gears. My 450 would hit hard and get the front end up at any speed/gear.

How can I get my 650 to do the same????

What do I need to do to get this thing accelerating faster and hitting harder??

Thanks

If you want it to accelerate faster and hit harder, go back to the stock gearing (14/48). Stock is still good for nearly 100mph. I run 15/48 only when I know that I'll be on long, straight, road sections (I've had this to 106 on GPS). I run 14/49 for racing (desert/GPs/MX). I feel that 14/49 makes 2nd gear a little more useful, i.e. lower (1st is way too low for racing) well still allowing for a more than adequate top speed. Other than dual-sport, I would only use the 15/48 if I was going to do a SCORE/BITD race and needed the extra legs.

There really isn't anything wrong with the stock carb. It can bog in whoops and off throttle situations, but that's about it. There is a simple fix for this that is quite effective if you think you need it. Go to the Pig Pen to find it.

However, a pumper carb (most guys here run the Edelbrock, I've got a Keihin FCR) gives the bike a noticable boost in the power department, plus the accelerator pump really wakes up the "hit" on the bottom end. Well, as much hit as you can get with a crankshaft that heavy.

This bike will never hit like your 498 kit. There is just way too much mass in the motor to make it spin up like that. Weight wise, the CRF saves 95% of its weight in comparison to the XR650R in the motor. I would not be suprised if the rotating assembly (crank, rod, piston) for the XR650R weighs as much as a complete CRF450R motor!

I've never been out accelerated by any bike on my 650r. Stock and uncorked. This includes the (stock) CRF450. I've ridden with lots of CRF450 riders, the Piggy is equal or faster than all of them. And I'd have to say, with superior riders on them.

If you are going by seat of the pants feel for the speed the 650 will feel slower than the 450. If you are getting waxed by 450's then something is wrong. I know my 650 feels slower than my 450 but it's more in how the power is delivered. The 650 doesn't rev nearly as fast.

If you are going by seat of the pants feel for the speed the 650 will feel slower than the 450. If you are getting waxed by 450's then something is wrong. I know my 650 feels slower than my 450 but it's more in how the power is delivered. The 650 doesn't rev nearly as fast and it is decieving. It won't ever hit like a 450.

If you are going by seat of the pants feel for the speed the 650 will feel slower than the 450. If you are getting waxed by 450's then something is wrong. I know my 650 feels slower than my 450 but it's more in how the power is delivered. The 650 doesn't rev nearly as fast and it is decieving. It won't ever hit like a 450.

Exactly what I have found. The 450 just has a hard hitting power deivery.

Hang on it's a 498 not a 450 i have a 490 kitted CRF450 and it goes way harder than a stock 450 your 498 geared a little higher than stock just might be a bunch of fun on fast firetrails.

Mate if you can GPS me with your 498 at 5th WFO i would be appreciative.