Sign in to follow this  

Who's been riding 30 years?

I started riding in 1978. First bike was a 1971 Yamaha JT60.

I would have started earlier, but my parents refused to let me have a bike. They told me if I wanted one I'd have to buy it myself, because they knew that would be nearly inpossible. However, one day a guy drove by our house and offered to trade me the JT60 for a lawnmower engine I had. When my parents found out they were in complete disbelief. Here's a picture of me riding that very bike at Saddleback Park in the late 70's.

scan.jpg

Like many others here I started in the late 60's, so I'm closing in on 40 years. My first bike was a Honda Sport 50 which I had to promise to keep at my Grandparent's house in the country. My folks would only let me ride in the woods. My first enduro was on a Yamaha CT-1 in July of 69. I was hooked! Over the years I had CZ's, Pentons, Husqvarnas and a host of Jap bikes. My current ride is an 07 KTM 400xc-w. Not as fast as I once was but still ride every chance I get. Nice to know there are so many of us out there.

I started riding in 1978. First bike was a 1971 Yamaha JT60.

I would have started earlier, but my parents refused to let me have a bike. They told me if I wanted one I'd have to buy it myself, because they knew that would be nearly inpossible. However, one day a guy drove by our house and offered to trade me the JT60 for a lawnmower engine I had. When my parents found out they were in complete disbelief. Here's a picture of me riding that very bike at Saddleback Park in the late 70's.

scan.jpg

There is a God! Great story. :lol:

Growing up a farm boy in PA we had some really exotic machines. My step-father bought my sister an Allstate scooter in the mid/early 60's but I commandeered it the second day. Best stunt was to skip across the pond using the floorboards like water skis. The next year I spent my hard earned money on a Yamaha Big Bear 250 scrambler. That lasted about a year till I grenaded the engine. Traded what was left for a Bridgestone 100 mx; fast little sucker! After I got drafted in 1970 I went through a series of Honda CBs, CLs, and SLs. Then in '77 I got the first (and possibly the only) Suzi PE 250 that came into the shop in Savannah, GA. Rode it to work all week and then tore up SETRA on the weekend.

Started in 64:eek: First bike was a minibike followed by aYamaha mini enduro,and a 125. When I got my license i bought a used Norton and rode street also. In 73 I had a highway crash and quit. 30yrs later my neighbor bought 2 dirtbikes for him and his son. My son saw the bikes and so it began. I guess I'm an old rookie:ride: :lol:

My first bike was a new 1972 Kawasaki 100 G5. I ended up porting it, milling head, chamber, Green Streak Rotary Valve, Arnaco shocks and welding the footpegs more times that I could count.

Craigus

I still have a very clean 1976 YZ175

My first bike was a 1976 yz175 got it in 79 almost 30 years ago.

40 years christmas of 1966 lawnmower minibike and 47 bikes later waiting on my new SX-F 505 KTM. Thanks guys for all the memeries.No falls No balls.

About 40yrs, first bike was a Keystone Mini 50, it was the coolest bike ever, at the time!!

I got my QA50 in 1969. It cost us $199 cause we bought 2 of them, I was 10yrs old. My first "Real" dirt bike was a 1975 Rm 125 HOLY #%@ and cost 1199! Before my Dad bought he tried to get me to go with the TM125 it was $999. That RM was fast. It was Suzuki, Honda, Penton, Hodakas back then. Funny 30yrs later and I now race a 1974 TM 250 in AHRMA. Can't run with the kids but I still love to mix it up. My play bike is a 2004 crf 250x.

i started riding in 1968 on a mini trail 50.i am 45 now. i still race and ride.i could not put a price on all these years of riding. just hope i have many more!:lol:

30+ years for me. I started on an old Honda 90(if you can call that a real bike) we had a couple of them to use around the farm. I had Honda XL175 that I got from a friend. The first MX bike was an 81 CR250. I have had a couple of street bikes while in college as well. Now I have an XR650R and a CRF450R.

Another thirty year rider. Started on a CT70 and would have to wait until my dad got home from work to get it started. When I wanted to stop I would buzz the house until dad came out to catch me. Good thing for him it had an automatic clutch! At the time he was racing a Bultaco Matador and a DT-250. I knew I was somebody when I got an XR-75 and could start it myself!!

Dan

41 years. First ride Taco 22. First bike owned Yamaha AT1 125. current bikes 2005 KTM 300 last of the open class two strokes and 2007 KTM 450 EXC first of the new wave of dual sport bikes.

In 1973 Yamaha JT1 60, NRVRA desert racing in Lancaster Ca, a place called the Ponderosa off ave J. Raced minicycles with NMA for 5 years, pro at 16 on the 1978 RM 125. Raced So Cal w/ names like Jeff Ward, Brian Myerscough, Warren Reed, Mike Brown, AJ Whiting to name a few. Now I ride D36 enduros in Nor Cal.

Never stop riding it's good for the soul!

:lol:

'68 Honda 70, in '71 when I was 12. Mowed lawns and shoveled side walks for a year to save the $75 I paid for it. My uncles geared it down so it would climb the hills I wanted to climb, and I ran the snot out of it until I blew the engine. I series of dirt and road bikes has followed, with intermitten dry spells.

I started on a Honda XR75 31 years ago. I've had various Honda & Yamaha dirt & street bikes ever since. I've learned a lot, still got a lot to learn.