How to APPROACH whoops?

at my track there is a whoop section and when I go into it I have to double in and then I can skim the rest , how do you just start skimming right away, I see some people wheelie in to them and when I watch chad reed it looks like he preloads and hops up right before, please help.

lmao woops suck they sent me into the dirt today head first broke the visor off my one ind trooper and messed up my bars/bar mounts AGAIN. my neck hurts.

how to approach? as fast as possible.

mmmmk?

it all depends on the section. theres a section at a local practice track that i apporach slowly so i can catch the 2nd whoop so i can blitz out. sometimes if you go in too fast you can overshoot the 2nd one and then have to time the rest of the way through. it just depends on the section.

lean back and pin it:ride:

at my track there is a whoop section and when I go into it I have to double in and then I can skim the rest , how do you just start skimming right away, I see some people wheelie in to them and when I watch chad reed it looks like he preloads and hops up right before, please help.

I'm waiting to see someone answer this one too.

This may sound crazy but try it. Upshift into the next higher gear than you usually use, if you do them in second, try third. Don't pin it, that makes your suspension do bad things. I usually hit the whoops in fourth, half throttle, and keep a finger on the clutch to pick up the revs, if needed. Center you head over the bike, but keep your weight to the rear. Grip the bike HARD with your legs, I can't stress this one enough. Hold on with your legs like your life depends on it, because it could, if you are going fast enough:smirk: Look to the end of the section and concentrate.

Please do not go out and try to blast through a big set of whoops. Take your time and increase your speed as you get more comfortable. Practice this technique on a non race weekend, and think it through. Tell yourself what to do as you aproach and it will happen, it just takes practice.... and a big set of grapes!

Hope this helps.

Michael

This may sound crazy but try it. Upshift into the next higher gear than you usually use, if you do them in second, try third. Don't pin it, that makes your suspension do bad things. I usually hit the whoops in fourth, half throttle, and keep a finger on the clutch to pick up the revs, if needed. Center you head over the bike, but keep your weight to the rear. Grip the bike HARD with your legs, I can't stress this one enough. Hold on with your legs like your life depends on it, because it could, if you are going fast enough:smirk: Look to the end of the section and concentrate.

Please do not go out and try to blast through a big set of whoops. Take your time and increase your speed as you get more comfortable. Practice this technique on a non race weekend, and think it through. Tell yourself what to do as you aproach and it will happen, it just takes practice.... and a big set of grapes!

Hope this helps.

Michael

Doesn't sound crazy at all. This is the only way to do it with success. The pros go through in 5th gear. You can't have the bike tapped out where it is flat on top. It has to be pulling or your done.

^ very true.. use a higher gear and lug the bike over the whoops. when approaching you should be standing in the attact position, weight back, knees bent, inside of legs gripping the seat/airbox, elbows up, head lookin up and centered over the bars. depending on the section there is one of 2 basic ways to get through the whoops, you can double them or skim over the top of them. when doubling them throttle controll is essential and bein able to preload the suspension while standing.. if you are going to skim over them you will need to go a little faster and this is where gripping the bike with your legs really comes into play. Keep a a finger on the clutch incase u need to get the revs up to keep the front tire from diving into the face of the next whoop. Its VERY important not to let the front end drop in cuz that will throw off your rythm and on really cupped whoops can send ya over the bars.

hope this helps and isnt too hard to follow:thumbsup:

Back up a little bit... You guys are talking about how to ride through them. Concentrate more on just the approach, and to the 2nd whoop. I havn't tried "bunny hopping" to try to get to the top of the first whoop yet... but I'm not sure how else you do it. If I'm coming in fast, I'll use the first whoop as a jump to double or triple... I want to be able to come in faster yet, and not even double the first one... go to skimming right away. "bunny hopping" is the only way that makes sense, but like I said, I havn't tried it yet.

I suppose if I slowed down a little bit, I could use the first as a jump, land on top of the second, and start skimming from there... But "slowing down" dosn't sound so good...

What I described is the way I do it, and don't think about the approach. I carry my speed into the whoops and position my body as described above, and this will allow me to start "skimming" right away. I do not plan anything, it just happens with speed and practice. Upshift and position your body, it will work. Keeping the front wheel light entering the whoops is the only planned entry that I have. The correct position will make it happen.

Michael

First go at the whoops as straight as possible. Next shift up one to two gears depending on thw whoop section and bike. Then lift the front wheel or the first one and keep a steady throttle not pinned and not letting off. Hold on with your legs tight so you can make corrections when it bucks or swaps. Oh and comit to them.

what about desert whoops, from big 800hp trophy trucks that are irregularly spaced? Took a doozie on a section of those a while back. Still not real clear what happened, but I flew quite a distance ala superman! jump from face to face? skim the tops? any suggestions?

if you want to learn whoop technique, the guys that are the best at it race arenacross. sure bubba and chad and RC and those guys are nasty at it, but i bet an arenacross ace could beat any of those guys in a track made solely out of whoops. Reason? AX whoops are INSANE. There's usually NO runup to them, so they are slow and painfully deep and sharp. If there's no starter whoop to get your nose up, the best advice i've heard, which buddy antonez told me at the albany arenacross a year ago, is that if you would hit the whoops as a rythm section in a certain gear, say 2nd, then come up to them in 3rd (a gear higher) and do what you have too (wheelie mostly, by pullin the bars or poppin the clutch or whatever) to get your front wheel to hit the top of the 1st whoop, which will put it higher in the air. Or, if the whoops are actually close together, put your front wheel on the top of the second whoop (going over the 1st) at which point you're basically already skimming. Just a thought...

NSC, the train-track access trails (the truck trails next to the tracks) around here have verrrrry long gravel whoops (NIGHTMARE in 5th gear pinned, haha) but i always just stand up, lean back, grip the bike with my knees, and try and keep my front end light so all my arms are doing is steering. Oh and i dont think about the whoops. I look ahead, cuz if i look at the whoops, i go, oh my god what the hell am i doing!?!?!?! haha...

If there is a starter whoop (the first whoop is small) you can just hit it normal and start skimming the bigger ones. If there isn't a starter whoop wheelieing is the next best thing in order to start skimming. But when you do the wheelie and set your front wheel down on the first whoop make sure you maintain the central body positon. This way you'll be able to move your body back as the rear wheel hits the first whoop. If you are in the back body positon in order to do the wheelie you will get thrown forward as the rear wheel hits the first whoop.

That should get you skimming right from the get go, good luck. :lol: